It's Time........Hire Dane Fife!

Man I loved Fife as a player and would  love him as an assistant right now, I think giving him the reigns as head coach might be stretching it. I mean this is gonna be a pretty tall task for who ever gets the nod, we need to get back to competing for BiG titles, I’m afraid if this hire gets messed up again we will see ole IU fall further and further outta contention. Folks who look at Indiana and see the 70’s thru 90’s IU are getting older and older, young people just think we used to be good and have sucked basically their entire lives.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually partially agree with 5fouls. In the end, it's gotta be an IU guy to lead the program in the long run. Do I want Fife now? I don't think I do, but not because I don't have faith in him but because it'd be too harsh and cruel to throw him into the fire at this moment. That's why I said a few times in other threads that I'd be happy to see Beilein for 5 years with his top assistant Fife. Under Izzo's and Beilein's tutelage for 15 years, he'd be ready. Also Beilein's excellent in building sound team culture, which makes the future transition seamless. We see the result in Michigan. People forgot about Beilein and only talk about Howard for recent success, but to me, it's Beilein. Beilein handed down the UM program on a silver platter, so Howard can immediately take off. Sure Beilein probably won't take to the FF in 5 years, but if we look into the future, Beilein would be worth every penny.

I think 'IU guy vs non-IU guy' debate would be an interesting one. I was on the side of 'who cares? I just want wins and more wins', but as I thought about this more, my conclusion is that it's gotta be an IU guy in the long run. Yes Coach Knight wasn't an IU guy, but when he took over IU, IU wasn't a blueblood. Coach Knight was the one who made IU the blueblood on top of Coach McCracken's 2 banners. I would say UNC is a bit similar to IU. UK is totally different; they don't need a former player for a coach. Duke will be an interesting case because Duke wasn't a blueblood before K. 

State of Indiana and IU men's basketball is, I feel, different and in order to have sustained long term success, we need to have someone very loyal to Indiana University, and also the coach should be able to 'CONNECT' (this is the key word) to Indiana high school coaches and fans in deeper, substantial level. Then, it just has to be one of us. Just my 2 cents. 

38 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I think 'IU guy vs non-IU guy' debate would be an interesting one. I was on the side of 'who cares? I just want wins and more wins', but as I thought about this more, my conclusion is that it's gotta be an IU guy in the long run. Yes Coach Knight wasn't an IU guy, but when he took over IU, IU wasn't a blueblood. Coach Knight was the one who made IU the blueblood on top of Coach McCracken's 2 banners. I would say UNC is a bit similar to IU. UK is totally different; they don't need a former player for a coach. Duke will be an interesting case because Duke wasn't a blueblood before K. 

State of Indiana and IU men's basketball is, I feel, different and in order to have sustained long term success, we need to have someone very loyal to Indiana University, and also the coach should be able to 'CONNECT' (this is the key word) to Indiana high school coaches and fans in deeper, substantial level. Then, it just has to be one of us. Just my 2 cents. 

I've never fully bought in to the "IU Guy" stuff either but get the arguments for culture and could be talked into Fife if he really does do a bunch for Izzo (I think someone said once he is the lead recruiter for him but I really don't know). I really don't know what I want but my initial expectation when the firing happened was Beilein.

Since you brought up Duke, something to think about is that a lot of the "Duke guys" have really struggled. Wojo just got fired at Marquette, Collins is under fire at Northwestern, and Capel has been struggling for 3 years at Pitt even though he had 2 good years before two ugly ones to end it at Oklahoma. A good counter would be Quinn Snyder, but some perspective when looking at the "___ Guy" for other schools in comparison

Couple of Duke takes aimed at a couple of posters.  Quinn Snyder failed at Mizzou and Duke was pretty damn good before K got there(how many times does this need to be said).

As far as Dane?  I would have no issue with him being named the HC.  

Archived