It's time...HIRE ERIC MUSSELMAN

Well, I figure if we have one for Beard and Fife?  Personally I want Beard or Musselman with Beilein being our absolute worst case scenario.  My gut is that I'd rather have Beard, but tell me more about Musselman.  Sounds like a solid resume, a guy who can handle the spotlight, and it would be cool if Smart came on with him.  

I like that he can sell the NBA experience angle. I like how he has worked the transfer market which is becoming more and more part of the landscape of college basketball every year. I like that he has a big personality, that could play well here. There will always be some that hate that though. 

I heard an interview he was doing as I was driving home late one night and he really impressed me. During the season in a thread discussing possible coaches I posted a picture I took of a quote of his after a bad loss. I don’t remember his exact words, but he was indicating he was going to make sure the same mistakes don’t happen again. 

In another thread I called Beard the “don’t over think this candidate.”  Part of me wonders though if Musselman is the “we will regret not getting him candidate.”  

Plus who wouldn’t want to buy a crimson “Flex your Mussels” shirt after he is hired. 😂

I haven't watched a ton of Musselman, but watched their game yesterday. Colgate was out to a double-digit lead in the first half. 

Musselman called a timeout, knowing they were athletically superior, they came out in a full court man press and forced about 4-5 turnovers in a few minutes and entered the half with the lead. 

When was the last time we've seen something like that at IU?

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I haven't watched a ton of Musselman, but watched their game yesterday. Colgate was out to a double-digit lead in the first half. 

Musselman called a timeout, knowing they were athletically superior, they came out in a full court man press and forced about 4-5 turnovers in a few minutes and entered the half with the lead. 

19?? 😂 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The answer is either Sampson, or a year that is 19xx.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This is the thread that should be getting more conversation.  

I 100% agree. IF Beard is out due to Texas or whatever reason, then Musselman moves up to number one on my list. To me he makes so much sense that I am afraid it won’t happen.  

Plus like I said earlier, who wouldn’t rush out to get a crimson “Flex your Mussels” shirt?  

Next to the pipe dream that is BS, this is my favorite potential hire. Both NBA and college success, and his teams play with an intensity that we haven’t seen at IU in some time. Hell, he has Nevada in the top 10 at one point in his time there. I’m hoping this is who we are waiting to hire. 

Would love this hire, regardless of his cheesiness.  He can coach.  But, why leave Arkansas right now?  I doubt Arkansas is a destination job for him, but is IU?  Possibly?  Is a place like UNC or Duke?  Possibly - although I think they’ll handpick one of their own. Kansas maybe?  Who knows if they will be in trouble?  Oklahoma?  Probably not a destination program.  Or does he ultimately want to get back into the nba?  

That’s the big question here. IU won’t be able to out spend anyone - his payday is coming either way.  So it’s all up to him what he wants.  Plus he’s got a two year start at Arkansas.  

Him being from Ohio, his dad coaching at Minnesota and him growing up during IUs heyday - certainly understands what IU hoops is all about. 

13 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Would love this hire, regardless of his cheesiness.  He can coach.  But, why leave Arkansas right now?  I doubt Arkansas is a destination job for him, but is IU?  Possibly?  Is a place like UNC or Duke?  Possibly - although I think they’ll handpick one of their own. Kansas maybe?  Who knows if they will be in trouble?  Oklahoma?  Probably not a destination program.  Or does he ultimately want to get back into the nba?  

That’s the big question here. IU won’t be able to out spend anyone - his payday is coming either way.  So it’s all up to him what he wants.  Plus he’s got a two year start at Arkansas.  

Him being from Ohio, his dad coaching at Minnesota and him growing up during IUs heyday - certainly understands what IU hoops is all about. 

If you're Musselman, you take the payday when it's available.  Mediocre year next season at Arkansas and the opportunities coming his way may not be that good.

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If you're Musselman, you take the payday when it's available.  Mediocre year next season at Arkansas and the opportunities coming his way may not be that good.

All things being equal, IU, Oklahoma and Arkansas offer him $4-$5mm plus ... what does he do?     I guess he chooses between IU and Arkansas.  But not sure which way. 

2 minutes ago, Bustout said:

All things being equal, IU, Oklahoma and Arkansas offer him $4-$5mm plus ... what does he do?     I guess he chooses between IU and Arkansas.  But not sure which way. 

I think IU.  Not sure what he makes at Arkansas now, but if we dont outbid them for a hoops coach, something is wrong.

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I bet he gets paid regardless.  Arkansas can always match.  The question is whether he sees IU as a destination. He might see it as going from a good job to a top level job.  But it can be tough to beat the incumbent if Arkansas pushes back. 

Exactly. What can IU offer that Arkansas can’t?     The biggest thing is premier historical program and as CTC said - It’s Indiana.   I think most coaches think they can recruit better here.   One of the best fan bases.   Typically don’t have a football team distraction / not a football school!   But when the IU train gets rolling ... it’s as special as it gets.   Arkansas is no slouch, but it’s not Indiana. 

Archived