Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Bustout said:

If this truly comes to fruition, makes me believe there were heavy strings attached to that philanthropic money

Absolutely. It would mean most likely that the money was for a swing at Stevens and then after that it must be an IU guy. 

He is 62 years old. So won't be here for 20 plus years if he pans out. Has zero experience recruiting college players. Sub .500 coaching record in the NBA. Never got past the conference semi finals. I mean...not trying to knock him but I just don't see this and understand. He seems more defensive minded than a cutting edge offense. Honestly if we are going that route I would prefer someone else. I just see so many drawbacks. I will support who ever the coach is but as I said with all the other possible coaches available. This is a huge head scratcher. 

22 minutes ago, Bustout said:

I’m sure he’s a great coach, but is he a more than a 10 year solution at best? Seems a head scratcher 

In today's sports getting 10 years out of a coach is not a norm.  I bet after all the old timers are gone you will see very few coaches stay in one place for 30-40 years because they make so much money and there is so much pressure on them.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In today's sports getting 10 years out of a coach is not a norm.  I bet after all the old timers are gone you will see very few coaches stay in one place for 30-40 years because they make so much money and there is so much pressure on them.

Yup. 

Also it could be we are just interviewing him to appease the former players who want a former player to be considered.  Also did you expect us to just interview one person and then hire him.  We will probably here some names of possible coaches because we are doing our due diligence. 

2 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

He is 62 years old. So won't be here for 20 plus years if he pans out. Has zero experience recruiting college players. Sub .500 coaching record in the NBA. Never got past the conference semi finals. I mean...not trying to knock him but I just don't see this and understand. He seems more defensive minded than a cutting edge offense. Honestly if we are going that route I would prefer someone else. I just see so many drawbacks. I will support who ever the coach is but as I said with all the other possible coaches available. This is a huge head scratcher. 

He is also a no nonsense guy and is in same boat as Archie IMO

I could see this Woodson stuff coming from Woodson. He wanted the job four years ago and his name got brought up some then when Archie was hired. I feel like it’s the same thing. The other scenarios I see is that Dolson is talking to him while other coaches are still in the tournament or the boosters wanted Stevens or an IU guy so here we are as a fan base. 

Archived