Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

If we honestly can’t pry a coach away from , Arkansas, Alabama, Houston, Baylor, Texas Tech, Iona, Virginia, Celtics ;) - then Indiana isn’t a destination job any more, the schools I mentioned arent UK, duke , unc , etc etc etc 

Didnt even mention Matta or Belien.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woodson will interview. I’m not sure if that should surprise anyone but it shouldn’t mean to much especially when other coaches are still in the tournament. Why wouldn’t Dolson at least talk to the guy.  I’d say his side is who is pushing that he’s a serious candidate but we’ll see over the next week or so what happens.

45 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I could see this Woodson stuff coming from Woodson. He wanted the job four years ago and his name got brought up some then when Archie was hired. I feel like it’s the same thing. The other scenarios I see is that Dolson is talking to him while other coaches are still in the tournament or the boosters wanted Stevens or an IU guy so here we are as a fan base. 

This was my first thought. I am choosing not to believe he is seriously being considered. Hopefully Dolson is just doing his due diligence while the real coaches he is targeting are still playing in the tourney.

39 minutes ago, ephul said:

Like last hire, we simply may have swung and missed with our targets. And before going the mid major route again, why not take a gamble on a guy like Woodson?

Because no one under the age of 18 knows who he is and he has zero, let me repeat that, zero experience recruiting which is probably THE most important part of a college coach's job (if we are going to be honest).  Even a brilliant coach like Bob Knight is just a 20-10 guy if the recruiting is not going well.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Because no one under the age of 18 knows who he is and he has zero, let me repeat that, zero experience recruiting which is probably THE most important part of a college coach's job (if we are going to be honest).  Even a brilliant coach like Bob Knight is just a 20-10 guy if the recruiting is not going well.

Recruiting is a sales pitch. I get having "experience" recruiting, but at the end of the day, isn't recruiting just selling the university and the team? Isnt it about being relatable and a good communicator? And who knows more about Indiana basketball than Mike Woodson?

I dont know Mike Woodson. I dont know if he's a personable guy, outgoing, etc. But I'm not sure how much "experience" you need to recruit. If you are an extroverted, likable guy, I'd think that's half the battle.

7 minutes ago, ephul said:

Recruiting is a sales pitch. I get having "experience" recruiting, but at the end of the day, isn't recruiting just selling the university and the team? Isnt it about being relatable and a good communicator? And who knows more about Indiana basketball than Mike Woodson?

I dont know Mike Woodson. I dont know if he's a personable guy, outgoing, etc. But I'm not sure how much "experience" you need to recruit. If you are an extroverted, likable guy, I'd think that's half the battle.

Tom Allen does it with being honest and up front. 

7 hours ago, IU247 said:

See

There's a great post in that thread a little over halfway down the first page!

There were a lot of people wanting Allen fired, but some were still believers.

I feel like a Woodson hire would be ugly from the get go. I think that hire would really split the fanbase. The first sign of trouble, and things could go south quickly.

8 minutes ago, ephul said:

Yeah, we are relying on hope at that point.  I hope he can recruit.  I hope that he would land kids.  I hope he could coach the college game.  I hope that in his under .500 head coaching career that the real Coach Woodson was those couple years he did well and not all of those years he did not.

There is a bit of that need for "hope" in any hire because nothing is a 100% sure thing.  However, if you were an oddsmaker rating likelihood of a hire working out, if Stevens was 2/1 odds and Beard is like 8/1, then Woodson is what, 100/1?

My well of "hope" is dried up.  The next guy has to get it done.  I won't go "toxic" if the next hire doesn't work I will just go away.  I have literally been waiting half my life for Indiana to figure it out.  We're a joke right now and I keep hearing how my bitterness and anger over the program is the reason kids on the team cannot hit a free throw.  So they get one more chance with me before they become the Pacers.  A team that is nice to have around but I literally don't give a crap about in the regular season and the post season only grabs your attention when it is clear they have a chance to do something.  And they never get more attention than that because they are rarely in the championship discussion.

I don't have it in me fo be a Cubs fan.

I really don’t get this “IU guy” stuff. The greatest coach in our history was an Army/OSU guy. I’ll support whatever coach we hire, but if this is the result with all of the other candidates that seem to be in the mix, that would be extremely disappointing. Might as well hire Fife - at least he has some experience at the college level. 

33 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't have it in me fo be a Cubs fan.

I'm a Cubs fan and don't have it in me to do it again with IU basketball 😭

I really don't understand this AT ALL.  If the donors ultimately want an IU then why not go with someone like Fife, who if he's successful actually could be here for 30 years and has some college coaching experience.  This make no sense.  

Maybe it's an elaborate ploy to reset our expectations after losing out on Stevens.  If we're all convinced it's Woodson and then it's someone else that we've been talking about like Beard everyone will be thrilled again.  lol

The speculation, probably mostly unsubstantiated, is swinging wildly back and forth like a pendulum.  It reminds me of a highly volatile security in a public market.  

Brad Stevens.  Omg buy buy buy buy like it’s bitcoin or GameStop gone parabolic.  Mike Woodson?  The stock plunged hard. Sell sell sell sell.   The bottom has fallen out.  This is within 48 hours like an extremely high beta stock.  

Sometimes the best time to buy is when there is panic in the streets.  I think we have the right names under discussion.  Think of it like, what would Kansas do?  IMO they’d be looking at Beard and Muss.

Dolson is a professional.  He would have the same names under serous consideration that we’ve bandied about and Woody would not be one of them.  Perhaps he received an interview to make his case.  But he frankly does not have a big case to make.  Certainly not in comparison to some other candidates.  

Archie wasn’t fired at $10M to get a guy who will turn off the fan base and make things uglier. No freaking way.  They make an uninspired hire and there will be a ton of fans bailing en masse. I just don’t see any of that happening.  They aren’t so stupid.  

2 hours ago, ephul said:

Like last hire, we simply may have swung and missed with our targets. And before going the mid major route again, why not take a gamble on a guy like Woodson?

IU didn't swing and miss last hire. IU targeted the perceived best young coach on the market and got him. It was widely panned as the best hire in the cycle. It didn't work out obviously, but the hire itself was we targeted our guy, who was widely considered a great hire, and got him. 

6 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The speculation, probably mostly unsubstantiated, is swinging wildly back and forth like a pendulum.

IMO they’d be looking at Beard and Muss.

Dolson is a professional.

Archie wasn’t fired at $10M to get a guy who will turn off the fan base and make things uglier. No freaking way.  They make an uninspired hire and there will be a ton of fans bailing en masse. I just don’t see any of that happening.  They aren’t so stupid.  

Good points. The best part is, we are probably feeding all of the frenzy and Dolson is doing nothing but his job at this point.  

The only pause for concern may be potential concerns attached to the philanthropic funds.  But the more I think about it, I don’t think Dolson would’ve accepted it under the notion of “Here’s $10mm, Stevens or IU guy”. 

in the end, Archie’s offensive product was not attracting national recruits.  Given the unique transfer rules this year, he made the change a year early to accelerate a rebuild.  He wants to attract kids nationally.    All of IUs highest ranked kids were from Indiana. He couldn’t recruit out of state bc of the offensive product and defense first approach ... but mainly the offense. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

IU didn't swing and miss last hire. IU targeted the perceived best young coach on the market and got him. It was widely panned as the best hire in the cycle. It didn't work out obviously, but the hire itself was we targeted our guy, who was widely considered a great hire, and got him. 

IU went after Stevens, Donovan, and a few other established guys that really didn't get reported (nor were extremely realistic).

The next tier was the mid majors. And that's where Glass found "his guy". But it wasn't until he went after a few other bigger names.

2 minutes ago, ephul said:

IU went after Stevens, Donovan, and a few other established guys that really didn't get reported (nor were extremely realistic).

The next tier was the mid majors. And that's where Glass found "his guy". But it wasn't until he went after a few other bigger names.

I'm not sure we ever really went after Stevens last time or that the Donovan smoke was ever really real. But again, the Archie hire was widely considered the best hire of the cycle. 

I have to say if we are seriously considering Mike Woodson, that it would be imo the final nail in the coffin for IU basketball. You don't have all the money that is being reported to hire an average NBA coach that is in his 60s.  Hopefully Dolson is just checking all boxes and doing his due diligence with Woodson.

15 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not sure we ever really went after Stevens last time or that the Donovan smoke was ever really real. But again, the Archie hire was widely considered the best hire of the cycle. 

All the more reason to get a proven coach this time around. Beard or Musselman would be solid.  Beard has obvious success in Big 12, but wonder if Texas snatches him up soon.   Musselman doesn’t have as much of a college track record per se, but his nba and other experience definitely makes up for it.  They both have big personalities. Both would be good hires. 

A comparison of Muss versus Woody, Wittmann and Smart is interesting. All coached in the NBA.  Now, if you want to look at them from a college perspective look at how they progressed.  

Muss wasn’t afraid to get dirt under his fingernails.  He went and became an assistant in college after being a head coach in the NBA.  He learned the niceties of college coaching which is a different animal.  Of course he then went to a mid major and so on.  Contrast that with the IU players and it’s no comparison.  

Archived