Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

He went to 2 final 4s in 3 years...Apparently you didn't know that...

It's good to be back debating with you!  Your facts are always greatly appreciated.  I had no idea UNC was good back in those days.  I guess Guthridge was in fact a tremendous head coach.  Have a great day!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As fans, we are not privy to the interviews.  When it comes to Woody or Fife, for all we know they have tremendous plans that make sense.  Maybe they don’t.  But we don’t know.  All we have is our impressions.  It’s very similar to recruiting where we have just some snippets but we really can’t know the kid.  

I like the idea of a coach with power conference head coaching experience on the rise.  But if we can’t find the right fit in that box, it’s entirely possible that a guy like Woodson has a very intelligent plan. I wish we knew more about his plan, such as how he will handle recruiting, what types of players he will look for, who his assistants will be, what kind of O and D he thinks will work, his thoughts on adjustments etc.  I have no way to judge any of that.  When it comes to guys like Bennett (pipe dream IMO), Muss, Beard  et al., we have seen them in action and can look at their data and roster construction.  So there’s a track record that is comforting.  

Presumably, Woody is an A plus on strategy.  It was interesting to hear Muss talk about how strategy and adjustments in college are a total joke compared to the NBA.  Woody should have that in spades.  I think he’d be good at player development.  He has players vouching for him as far as commanding respect yet relating well.   We have no idea, but it is entirely possible that Woody can recruit really well in Indy, Cincinnati, Chicago, Cleveland, and on the AAU circuit.  No more missing on Gary Harris or Aaron Henry.   He can sell considerable NBA coaching experience.   I would put that potential ahead of several names that other people like.  But, I’d still keep him behind my top targets.   I still hope we go all out for one of those guys.  But I don’t think Woody is as bad as some think.  

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Also just think how it would be if these IU guys were as bad as Archie was, try firing them in 4 or 5 years. It wouldn't go over very well I would imagine. The money might be a lot harder to raise.

Well you can't go into hiring a coach worrying about if you would be able to fire someone.

59 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

As fans, we are not privy to the interviews.  When it comes to Woody or Fife, for all we know they have tremendous plans that make sense.  Maybe they don’t.  But we don’t know.  All we have is our impressions.  It’s very similar to recruiting where we have just some snippets but we really can’t know the kid.  

I like the idea of a coach with power conference head coaching experience on the rise.  But if we can’t find the right fit in that box, it’s entirely possible that a guy like Woodson has a very intelligent plan. I wish we knew more about his plan, such as how he will handle recruiting, what types of players he will look for, who his assistants will be, what kind of O and D he thinks will work, his thoughts on adjustments etc.  I have no way to judge any of that.  When it comes to guys like Bennett (pipe dream IMO), Muss, Beard  et al., we have seen them in action and can look at their data and roster construction.  So there’s a track record that is comforting.  

Presumably, Woody is an A plus on strategy.  It was interesting to hear Muss talk about how strategy and adjustments in college are a total joke compared to the NBA.  Woody should have that in spades.  I think he’d be good at player development.  He has players vouching for him as far as commanding respect yet relating well.   We have no idea, but it is entirely possible that Woody can recruit really well in Indy, Cincinnati, Chicago, Cleveland, and on the AAU circuit.  No more missing on Gary Harris or Aaron Henry.   He can sell considerable NBA coaching experience.   I would put that potential ahead of several names that other people like.  But, I’d still keep him behind my top targets.   I still hope we go all out for one of those guys.  But I don’t think Woody is as bad as some think.  

I'd be aboard the Woodson train as long as he has a A-team staff.

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

good point!  and how did Guthridge work out?  and you spelled his name wrong.  

Pretty sure he went to 2 final fours in 3 years

Season School Conf G W L W-L% SRS SOS AP Pre AP High AP Final Notes Adjusted
Career North Carolina   108 80 28 .741 20.15 10.81          
1997-98 North Carolina ACC 38 34 4 .895 26.67 10.38 4 1 1 Conf. Tournament Champion; NCAA Tournament; NCAA FF  
1998-99 North Carolina ACC 34 24 10 .706 16.77 10.25 11 3 13 NCAA Tournament  
1999-00 North Carolina ACC 36 22 14 .611 17.00 11.80 6 2   NCAA Tournament; NCAA FF  

There is even more to the wiki-gate: 

Michael Dean Woodson (born March 24, 1958)[1] is an American professional basketball coach and former player is the head coach for the Indiana Hoosiers of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). He served as the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks from 2004 to 2010 and the Knicks from 2012 to 2014.

1 minute ago, GaloisGroupe said:

There is even more to the wiki-gate: 

Michael Dean Woodson (born March 24, 1958)[1] is an American professional basketball coach and former player is the head coach for the Indiana Hoosiers of the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). He served as the head coach of the Atlanta Hawks from 2004 to 2010 and the Knicks from 2012 to 2014.

Edit: I noticed someone else post this on another site... but I did confirm it was on the wikipedia page at 12:48 pm March 23, 2021 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Woodson)

The 1978-79 IU men's basketball team was coming off a Sweet 16 appearance the previous year. Wittman, Kitchel and Turner were brought in as freshmen recruits. Tolbert was a sophomore. There were only two seniors on the team, Jim Roberson and Scott Eels. Neither played or contributed a whole lot. The leadership of the team was built on juniors Butch Carter, Glen Grunwald, and Mike Woodson.

In November, the team went to Alaska to play in a tournament. It did not go well as they lost their first two games to Pepperdine and Texas A & M before beating Penn St. in the consolation bracket. While up there, several players, including Woodson, got involved smoking pot. Upon returning to Bloomington, two players were let go from the team. Woodson was not, but was suspended indefinitely by RMK. Why Woodson wasn't let go as well has never been made public, I don't believe. Certainly, I think it had to do with the fact he was an outstanding player. However, I believe RMK also was a good judge of character, and knew that this could be a life defining moment for a kid from inner city Indianapolis, and he wanted to give him the opportunity to redeem himself. Woodson went on to lead that team to the NIT championship, and the next year he and Zeke led them to another Sweet 16. He finished his career at IU with over 2000 points.

Nice little story, I know. Posted it because a lot of younger folks have said they know little to nothing about him. I also post it because I believe that Mike has more than just an "IU guy" relationship with the university. I believe that there is a deep feeling of gratitude to RMK and to IU for getting a second chance. Because I was a student on campus during this time, I know how hard Knight made it on Woodson, and I know how hard Woodson had to work to get back in Knight's good graces. Along with the NBA background, I think Mike would have a tremendous pitch to make to recruits by including his own personal story. I am confident his love for the glory of old IU would come through loud and clear. 

Let's turn around the Woodson and "no college experience" thing.

The Boston Celtics, a storied and championship winning franchise, hired Brad Stevens to take over as Head Coach. Brad Stevens had no NBA experience. None. No experience dealing with NBA players and egos. The Boston Celtics hired the guy.

Point being, a good AD or General Manager knows what he's doing. Can tell a lot from a conversation or interview. They trusted Stevens with the Celtics franchise without any experience. And while he hasn't won a championship, he's done pretty well.

I dont know if Woodson could excel as a college coach. No clue. But to act like no college experience would make this hire a complete F-, awful hire is a stretch. Good basketball minds can adapt and learn on the fly. I dont know if Woodson is one of those guys, but I trust Dolson to figure it out. 

13 minutes ago, ephul said:

Let's turn around the Woodson and "no college experience" thing.

The Boston Celtics, a storied and championship winning franchise, hired Brad Stevens to take over as Head Coach. Brad Stevens had no NBA experience. None. No experience dealing with NBA players and egos. The Boston Celtics hired the guy.

Point being, a good AD or General Manager knows what he's doing. Can tell a lot from a conversation or interview. They trusted Stevens with the Celtics franchise without any experience. And while he hasn't won a championship, he's done pretty well.

I dont know if Woodson could excel as a college coach. No clue. But to act like no college experience would make this hire a complete F-, awful hire is a stretch. Good basketball minds can adapt and learn on the fly. I dont know if Woodson is one of those guys, but I trust Dolson to figure it out. 

You make a very good point. 

The Boston Celtics hired a mid major college coach, who was HC at Butler for only 6 years, to be HC. One who took over a program on the rise with momentum and while inheriting a pretty dang good team. 

If its Woody, hes spent 30 yrs in the NBA and didnt do a bad job. 

Whoever gets hired I just want them to win. And wont criticize until results come in. 

I think we would be lucky to get Woodson and it would be a serious upgrade over CAM or CTC. Put it this way, how many Universities...if they made a full court press...would be able to get Woodson. I'd say fewer than a handful.

Not saying I'm rooting for him over others, but I am saying that he is the only "Indiana" guy besides Calbert who I would trust with the program.

On 3/23/2021 at 10:17 PM, macomb hoosier said:

Put it this way, how many Universities...if they made a full court press...would be able to get Woodson.

You also have to look at it this way, how many schools would actually go after him. Since I have never heard of him being considered for any openings  I would guess the number is pretty low. If he wasn't an IU guy we wouldn't even be considering him.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

You also have to look at it this way, how many schools would actually go after him. Since I have never heard of him being considered for any openings  I would guess the number is pretty low. If he wasn't an IU guy we wouldn't even be considering him.

Well, you could turn that around and say, he's coached pros for years, who would think he wanted to coach college except for IU?  Maybe years ago he told colleges no thanks. No inside knowledge.

30 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Well, you could turn that around and say, he's coached pros for years, who would think he wanted to coach college except for IU?  Maybe years ago he told colleges no thanks. No inside knowledge.

When was the last time he was an NBA coach? I think it was 2014 but not sure. So with all the job openings in the NBA why hasn't he been hired for one since then, you would think if he is that good of a coach he would have gotten another head coaching job.

On 3/23/2021 at 2:14 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

The 1978-79 IU men's basketball team was coming off a Sweet 16 appearance the previous year. Wittman, Kitchel and Turner were brought in as freshmen recruits. Tolbert was a sophomore. There were only two seniors on the team, Jim Roberson and Scott Eels. Neither played or contributed a whole lot. The leadership of the team was built on juniors Butch Carter, Glen Grunwald, and Mike Woodson.

In November, the team went to Alaska to play in a tournament. It did not go well as they lost their first two games to Pepperdine and Texas A & M before beating Penn St. in the consolation bracket. While up there, several players, including Woodson, got involved smoking pot. Upon returning to Bloomington, two players were let go from the team. Woodson was not, but was suspended indefinitely by RMK. Why Woodson wasn't let go as well has never been made public, I don't believe. Certainly, I think it had to do with the fact he was an outstanding player. However, I believe RMK also was a good judge of character, and knew that this could be a life defining moment for a kid from inner city Indianapolis, and he wanted to give him the opportunity to redeem himself. Woodson went on to lead that team to the NIT championship, and the next year he and Zeke led them to another Sweet 16. He finished his career at IU with over 2000 points.

Nice little story, I know. Posted it because a lot of younger folks have said they know little to nothing about him. I also post it because I believe that Mike has more than just an "IU guy" relationship with the university. I believe that there is a deep feeling of gratitude to RMK and to IU for getting a second chance. Because I was a student on campus during this time, I know how hard Knight made it on Woodson, and I know how hard Woodson had to work to get back in Knight's good graces. Along with the NBA background, I think Mike would have a tremendous pitch to make to recruits by including his own personal story. I am confident his love for the glory of old IU would come through loud and clear. 

Being the shitty fan i am, I appreciate this little back story.  I was 4 during this time and honestly don't have much knowledge about IU previous to the 87 title team which i was able to watch with my dad when i was a kid.  And even that team i only know a little about.  I just never have been a big history guy for sports franchises and i just don't remember players from the past so its nice when you all post things like this.

3 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

When was the last time he was an NBA coach? I think it was 2014 but not sure. So with all the job openings in the NBA why hasn't he been hired for one since then, you would think if he is that good of a coach he would have gotten another head coaching job.

If he was such a terrible coach, why did the Knicks rehire him as an assistant?  Why was he a head coach for 10 years ?  Surely it wouldn't take 10 years to discover he couldn't coach

Archived