Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

The coming around on Woodson reminds of when we lose a 5* recruit and then 3 months later we land a guy rated 140th, and then try to convince ourselves we're better off with the scrappy 3* guy and never really wanted the 5*.

Ok, serious question: How many NBA head coaches (no matter how bad) have come into the college ranks in say the last 30 years and failed?

I'm sure many on this board could answer this better than I can, but the list is think. Even Larry Brown in his last days as a coach was building something fairly decent at SMU (yes, I know there were issues).  The only guy that comes to mind is Hoiberg and he is just in year two.

There are only 30 NBA teams. That's two big tens + two teams. Head coaches at that level know what they are doing. They might not be flashy or trendy, they might get fired regularly but these are hundred-million dollar corporations and they are getting the best money can buy. 

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

Ok, serious question: How many NBA head coaches (no matter how bad) have come into the college ranks in say the last 30 years and failed?

I'm sure many on this board could answer this better than I can, but the list is think. Even Larry Brown in his last days as a coach was building something fairly decent at SMU (yes, I know there were issues).  The only guy that comes to mind is Hoiberg and he is just in year two.

There are only 30 NBA teams. That's two big tens + two teams. Head coaches at that level know what they are doing. They might not be flashy or trendy, they might get fired regularly but these are hundred-million dollar corporations and they are getting the best money can buy. 

I was watching a podcast and they were talking about why more colleges don't hire NBA assistant coaches for their HC position.  They say that when NBA has openings they hire NBA assistants for those position so these are the most qualified candidates.

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

The coming around on Woodson reminds of when we lose a 5* recruit and then 3 months later we land a guy rated 140th, and then try to convince ourselves we're better off with the scrappy 3* guy and never really wanted the 5*.

You ever watch Eddie Murphy's old standup comedy routines? Like the bit about about when you are starving a saltine tastes likes a Ritz cracker lol.

25 minutes ago, macomb hoosier said:

I don't think the number of coaches that has switched is real high. Ones like Calipari Pitino and Hoiberg started out in college so they are different. Avery Johnson failed in college and Eric Musselman is succeeding. So I would guess a mixed bag.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I don't think the number of coaches that has switched is real high. Ones like Calipari Pitino and Hoiberg started out in college so they are different. Avery Johnson failed in college and Eric Musselman is succeeding. So I would guess a mixed bag.

I would put Pitino/Calipari in the NBA "failed" to success category....along with Musselman. Thanks for Avery Johnson.

23 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Hoiberg started his coaching career in college, spent 5 seasons at Iowa State before going to the NBA.

I know.

I'm not particularly concerned with the route someone takes to be an NBA coach...the insinuation is, if you are good enough to be a head coach in the NBA (30 HCs total) you can succeed as a college HC. 

Archived