Candidate Thread: Mike Woodson

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

I’ve got a basketball game this afternoon and should be done in time to catch that game. I want to see how those two do against each other. 

Due to family obligations I will probably only catch the second half of that game...but I want to check it out for sure. Maybe I will record it.

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I’ve got a basketball game this afternoon and should be done in time to catch that game. I want to see how those two do against each other. 

Today is Mrs. Keet and my anniversary. We’re going to have a late lunch/early dinner, but I’m hoping to be able to watch it too. DVR is set just in case. 

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think it is clear that this would be a devastating hire, but can anyone at least give me insight why this would be good other than just being an "IU guy?"

The guy not only is well respected by executives by NBA franchises, the best basketball in the world.  He relates to players and young athletes - was known for that.  He is also known for developing talent.  And, players who have 2on championships at IU and in the NBA vouch for him. 

I think it is unfortunate not to get past we need Stevens or a college coach.

Woodson is one of the best in the world, he has been hired a few times in the NBA as a head coach, assistant, etc.

Furthermore, the guy might want the job and might have passion to being IU brand back.  Its not just a job for him.

That is my take.

4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

The guy not only is well respected by executives by NBA franchises, the best basketball in the world.  He relates to players and young athletes - was known for that.  He is also known for developing talent.  And, players who have 2on championships at IU and in the NBA vouch for him. 

Woodson is one of the best in the world, he has been hired a few times in the NBA as a head coach, assistant, etc.

Furthermore, the guy might want the job and might have passion to being IU brand back.  Its not just a job for him.

That is my take.

okay.  strongly strongly disagree, but this is what i was asking for.  just wondered what could even be argued.  he was a marginally successful NBA coach who got fired.  now assistant coach.  no college experience.  that is the most optimistic perspective on him i have ever heard though!

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

okay.  strongly strongly disagree, but this is what i was asking for.  just wondered what could even be argued.  he was a marginally successful NBA coach who got fired.  now assistant coach.  no college experience.  that is the most optimistic perspective on him i have ever heard though!

Thanks! When he coached the Hawks everything was positive.  I watched closely as I was interested in how Josh Smith would do going from HS to NBA.  Trust me, he is good.

ALSO - He has stong ties in Indy, east coast and the south.  Not many could say that.  Connections and relationships are recruiting 101.  He is Indy, he was in Georgia, NY, Mil, etc.  That goes along way.  And, he is a people person and can coach the heck out of the game.  

11 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

That is my take.

You call that the best basketball in the world. Wow.

12 hours ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Thanks! When he coached the Hawks everything was positive.  I watched closely as I was interested in how Josh Smith would do going from HS to NBA.  Trust me, he is good.

ALSO - He has stong ties in Indy, east coast and the south.  Not many could say that.  Connections and relationships are recruiting 101.  He is Indy, he was in Georgia, NY, Mil, etc.  That goes along way.  And, he is a people person and can coach the heck out of the game.  

Here's a look at Woodson's head coaching record...His teams improved every year in Atlanta, and he had the train wreck known as the New York Knicks in the playoffs in 2 of his 3 years, including a 1st place finish in the Atlantic Division in 2012-13...

MW.PNG.a56290783c805ee4c159b83ca7cd53b1.PNG

13 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Leonard Hamilton failed in the nba and continues to knock it out in college but certainly he was a mildly successful college coach at Miami before. Obviously you would have to pair him with a strong recruiting assistant etc but he has been around enough basketball to implement a modern nba offense.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

That was awesome...Growing on me too...

I know....if what these NBA players said was the truth and not a lip service, then Woodson's got the characteristics and qualifications that we need and want. Maybe our hesitation is due to the fact that he's not a very famous figure in the NBA. 

8 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

I know....if what these NBA players said was the truth and not a lip service, then Woodson's got the characteristics and qualifications that we need and want. Maybe our hesitation is due to the fact that he's not a very famous figure in the NBA. 

Someone pointed out that NBA success is based on the roster and NBA coaches don't control the roster.  College coaches DO control the roster and Woody's lack of experience at that level (including recruiting) is the biggest reason for doubt for me.  Also someone mentioned his race and I don't think that is something to discount - it could help when recruiting urban based players in larger metropolitan areas.

20 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i think it is clear that this would be a devastating hire, but can anyone at least give me insight why this would be good other than just being an "IU guy?"

I didn’t see this posted yet so here is a decent argument as to why Woodson. Not saying I agree, but it at least helps me think I wouldn’t be as depressed if it happened. https://t.co/fWoC38ufRZ

6 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Someone pointed out that NBA success is based on the roster and NBA coaches don't control the roster.  College coaches DO control the roster and Woody's lack of experience at that level (including recruiting) is the biggest reason for doubt for me.  Also someone mentioned his race and I don't think that is something to discount - it could help when recruiting urban based players in larger metropolitan areas.

Question is if he has ability to 'connect' with in a few years. If he can bring in a real good top assistant, he can somehow mitigate that issue. Also, you made a good point in 'race' issue; I know it's a bit of a sensitive one, but we can't act like it doesn't exist. Woodson may have some difficulty in recruiting kids from small cities; it will take time, but it's not anything Woodson can't overcome. IU men's basketball recruits itself until people in Indiana realize the IU coach sucks. That's how Archie was able to land Romeo. 

Archived