It’s time....consider Porter Moser

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

That was one heck of a game. Moser had his guys ready to play. Much respect to the Ramblers. Start to finish, that was a basketball clinic.

Love Krutwig. Old school big with great BBall IQ and court awareness, but looks like a guy playing in a weekend church league.

I know the point of view by a lot people is that you don't get a $10M commitment (and whatever the amount is from the other anonymous donor) for hiring a name that isn't huge, but I like him and was kinda surprised that he wasn't being talked about before the Stevens hype got huge. Kenpom and the other advanced stats definitely aren't the end all be all but Loyola did rank well throughout this year

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Hard pass. No more Archie’s. 

He isn’t Archie. Go back and watch the Dayton teams. The offense was bad there too, it’s why some of didn’t have Archie high in the list. Archie relied on one midmajor star and a. Inch of hustle. His offense was stagnant there as it was it IU. Moser’s teams move and cut crisply, something Archie hasn’t taught well. 

Not my top pick, but Porter is a solid coach and a step above Archie at least. 

2 hours ago, Hippopotamo said:

Archie’s players at Dayton played pretty hard too

Good point. Players at mid major programs playing hard for their coaches is great and beautiful to see, but it might not be overemphasized or exaggerated. It's just that those players play with a chip on their shoulders, and they usually get good results when they play physical games. We need to focus more on their offensive and defensive executions. 

1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

I think Moser would be a great option for DePaul or Northwestern. Or he’d be great staying at Loyola. 

I would love to see him at NW where he gets lesser talented players and competes with higher echelon teams in the conference. That would prove his coaching prowess. 

If Loyola keeps advancing you have to look at his college coaching career the last couple of seasons as pretty comparable to the beloved Brad Stevens. Lets say they make the Final Four, that will be two they have made recently just the same as Stevens did at Butler. The only thing is he doesn't have the NBA experience.

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Love Krutwig. Old school big with great BBall IQ and court awareness, but looks like a guy playing in a weekend church league.

A lot of Loyola's success can be tied back to Krutwig, which means a lot of Moser's success can be tied back to Krutwig.  Buyer beware since the big guy wont be moving with him.

48 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of Loyola's success can be tied back to Krutwig, which means a lot of Moser's success can be tied back to Krutwig.  Buyer beware since the big guy wont be moving with him.

That could be said about almost any coach. No matter how good of a coach you are you still have to have good players. Also wasn't he just a freshman during their Final Four run, how good was he then?

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

That could be said about almost any coach. No matter how good of a coach you are you still have to have good players. Also wasn't he just a freshman during their Final Four run, how good was he then?

Even as a freshman, Krutwig made everyone on that team a better player.  His stats were still good, but stats don't begin to quantify how valuable he is.  

I can’t wrap my mind around how anyone thinks watching one particular team of a coach who’s coaches this long who looks good and think THIS team he has somehow reflects more on him as a coach then his body of work. This is crazy to me.

Hey Tom Crean in his Final Four and Archie and his Elite Eight...oh year baby! 🙄

You could make a better case for Archie at the same time as this guy.

Titanium HARD NO.

Yeah this whole coaching search has been a rollercoaster of ridiculous. Being negative I’ll assume we will get our 5-6 option again then try to make it seem like they are better than who we wanted. Very disenfranchised.  It’s rough watching basketball right now. Good news is all these games have been pretty good so far. 

6 hours ago, addictedtoIU said:

Good point. Players at mid major programs playing hard for their coaches is great and beautiful to see, but it might not be overemphasized or exaggerated. It's just that those players play with a chip on their shoulders, and they usually get good results when they play physical games. We need to focus more on their offensive and defensive executions. 

I can’t agree with this enough, someone said fishing in different lakes or something. It’s a totally different type of young man and program, mid major players get in a tourney and let any slights they have gotten from 8th grade thru college fuel them to prove they belong - and some do - parity is a real thing. I like his teams and have enjoyed both runs, doesn’t quite translate to taking the helm of IU, we need a real hit here folks, not a single ,  I’d prefer a home run but would be happy with a standing triple.

10 minutes ago, H00sier said:

I can’t agree with this enough, someone said fishing in different lakes or something. It’s a totally different type of young man and program, mid major players get in a tourney and let any slights they have gotten from 8th grade thru college fuel them to prove they belong - and some do - parity is a real thing. I like his teams and have enjoyed both runs, doesn’t quite translate to taking the helm of IU, we need a real hit here folks, not a single ,  I’d prefer a home run but would be happy with a standing triple.

Heck, I would be happy reaching on a fielder's choice at this point.

38 minutes ago, H00sier said:

Isn’t it actually depressing, so many of us, hell 99% here, have such an overwhelming desire to see Indiana reach heights similar to what Coach Knight achieved. 

Heck at this point I would settle for being in the NCAA tournament every year. That used to be a given, the bare minimum. 

I know, I’ve states before , but I’ve lived in Lexington for going on 25 years or so, and it’s been an absolute complete reversal. 

I remember as a a high school senior , IU was primed for a run at the title in 92-93. At this moment IU and UK were tied for 2nd in titles at 5, Indiana held a slim margin in the head to head with Uk  - just a couple games. Indiana was without a doubt a top 3 school - with a case for #1. 

Fast forward , though there’s been nothing fast about this freefall. UK has 8 , UNC has passed us, Duke has 5,     Kentucky has taken our lunch money and smacked us around to a 12-15 game advantage. 

So yeah, I’d like to be a perennial dancer, but I need IU to get some semblance of what we used to be, not expecting Knight here, but I’d take a Tubby Smith type of resume.

Archived