It’s time....consider Porter Moser

8 hours ago, H00sier said:

I know, I’ve states before , but I’ve lived in Lexington for going on 25 years or so, and it’s been an absolute complete reversal. 

I remember as a a high school senior , IU was primed for a run at the title in 92-93. At this moment IU and UK were tied for 2nd in titles at 5, Indiana held a slim margin in the head to head with Uk  - just a couple games. Indiana was without a doubt a top 3 school - with a case for #1. 

Fast forward , though there’s been nothing fast about this freefall. UK has 8 , UNC has passed us, Duke has 5,     Kentucky has taken our lunch money and smacked us around to a 12-15 game advantage. 

So yeah, I’d like to be a perennial dancer, but I need IU to get some semblance of what we used to be, not expecting Knight here, but I’d take a Tubby Smith type of resume.

UK is dealing with their own day of reckoning. They all gladly hopped on the One-and-Done train to hell and loved it when it zoomed along at 300 MPH but then Wisconsin happened (God bless Wisconsin) and now they realize that Cal locked the doors and there is no off ramp. UK's program is a disaster. Their worst season in 100 years and half the team is declaring for the NBA.

6 hours ago, Officer Obie said:

UK is dealing with their own day of reckoning. They all gladly hopped on the One-and-Done train to hell and loved it when it zoomed along at 300 MPH but then Wisconsin happened (God bless Wisconsin) and now they realize that Cal locked the doors and there is no off ramp. UK's program is a disaster. Their worst season in 100 years and half the team is declaring for the NBA.

Oh I agree they’ve had a train wreck of a season, but honestly not much worse then ours, a couple games worse. Will admit I’ve watched more UK games then the last 3 years combined, it’s awful of me, but I love watching them lose- it’s a guilty pleasure I guess. 

A very large portion of the fan base are screaming for Cal to get fired, obviously not the smartest bunch, I’d take Cal’s record at UK in a New York minute at Indiana. 28 wins a year, 8- elite 8, 5- final fours, and a Title. Shit makes me sick!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, H00sier said:

Oh I agree they’ve had a train wreck of a season, but honestly not much worse then ours, a couple games worse. Will admit I’ve watched more UK games then the last 3 years combined, it’s awful of me, but I love watching them lose- it’s a guilty pleasure I guess. 

A very large portion of the fan base are screaming for Cal to get fired, obviously not the smartest bunch, I’d take Cal’s record at UK in a New York minute at Indiana. 28 wins a year, 8- elite 8, 5- final fours, and a Title. Shit makes me sick!

I'd give the state of Kentucky a break if they actually produced basketball talent. But they don't. They live off others.

Sorry, this is way off topic. I'll stop.

Edited by Officer Obie

7 hours ago, Officer Obie said:

Guess Cal is ready for a job shopping?

8 hours ago, Officer Obie said:

I don't like Kentucky.  I don't care to much for Calipari myself but lets not act like the world is crashing down around Kentucky.  One bad year does not mean anything.  And doesn't half the team every year declare for the draft.  Here is Cals record at UK.  Elite 8 2 years ago and won the SEC and who knows last year in the Tourney.  This year was terrible and he should take heat for it like Coach K at duke and Self at Kansas.  But Kentucky's house isn't made of glass and i highly doubt they end up in the same spot next year.

image.png.4ca473555bdd58d10730941a1bffab07.png

• Like 1

I don’t necessarily think Moser is the right guy or should even be strongly considered, but the people living in Stevens and hating on Moser seems a bit silly.  BS was in 2 final fours in his tenure at Butler.  Moser is closing in on the same in about the same amount of time at Loyola.  How do you view one as a savior and the other as a hack?  One good tourney run with a small conference team can be a fluke. 2 in 4 years isn’t a fluke.  That doesn’t make him a fantastic candidate to coach at IU, but if we hadn’t had such a poor mid major run with Archie, I think we’d all be riding a bit higher on Moser.

6 hours ago, IUinLA said:

I don’t necessarily think Moser is the right guy or should even be strongly considered, but the people living in Stevens and hating on Moser seems a bit silly.  BS was in 2 final fours in his tenure at Butler.  Moser is closing in on the same in about the same amount of time at Loyola.  How do you view one as a savior and the other as a hack?  One good tourney run with a small conference team can be a fluke. 2 in 4 years isn’t a fluke.  That doesn’t make him a fantastic candidate to coach at IU, but if we hadn’t had such a poor mid major run with Archie, I think we’d all be riding a bit higher on Moser.

2 for 19 vs 2 for 6

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cybergates said:

2 for 19 vs 2 for 6

Fair enough.  Just seems to me that his coaching career took a significant turn for the better after working as an assistant to Majerus.  There’s only one Brad Stevens.  I just think this is a guy we should not be blind to.

1 hour ago, IUinLA said:

Fair enough.  Just seems to me that his coaching career took a significant turn for the better after working as an assistant to Majerus.  There’s only one Brad Stevens.  I just think this is a guy we should not be blind to.

After working for/with Majerus is when he took the Loyola job. In year 4 he had his 1st winning season 24-13 (8-10 in conference though) padded by winning the CBI. He then went 33-31 over the next two years, again failing to get over .500 in his conference. Nothing he did prior to the last 4 years is impressive at all IMO.

The last 4 years he's done pretty well and the Final Four run and IL wins were impressive. He's also had Krutwig for those 4 years.

His .573 winning % at Loyola is barely better than his .549 overall winning %

I'm sure he's a good coach, just not good enough where I would want him to be IU's coach (or even given much consideration).

image.png.6c72aa675288c7a36fe34c59fe859745.png

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, cybergates said:

After working for/with Majerus is when he took the Loyola job. In year 4 he had his 1st winning season 24-13 (8-10 in conference though) padded by winning the CBI. He then went 33-31 over the next two years, again failing to get over .500 in his conference. Nothing he did prior to the last 4 years is impressive at all IMO.

The last 4 years he's done pretty well and the Final Four run and IL wins were impressive. He's also had Krutwig for those 4 years.

His .573 winning % at Loyola is barely better than his .549 overall winning %

I'm sure he's a good coach, just not good enough where I would want him to be IU's coach (or even given much consideration).

image.png.6c72aa675288c7a36fe34c59fe859745.png

Not that i put him high on my list, but the argument can be made that when he has talent on his roster, he can produce good results.  Does that translate to producing in a power5 conference?  Or does having that talent on a mid major allow him to elevate himself.  not sure.  

• Like 1