If winning is the only requirement

1.Rick Pitino, He has rebuilt 3 blue blood franchises. Louisville, Kentucky and the Celtics.

2.Bruce Pearl, he has built Tennessee and Auburn. Won a National title at Southern Indiana

3.Nate Oats.I know he just signed an extension. Pay him Calipari money and he will look good in Crimson and Creme.

1 minute ago, Coach Shep said:

1.Rick Pitino, He has rebuilt 3 blue blood franchises. Louisville, Kentucky and the Celtics.

2.Bruce Pearl, he has built Tennessee and Auburn. Won a National title at Southern Indiana

3.Nate Oats.I know he just signed an extension. Pay him Calipari money and he will look good in Crimson and Creme.

I am a huge Pearl fan.  More so how he is 100% involved in the program and university.  He isn't the greatest coach and does have some ups and downs but i would embrace him immediately as our next coach

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I am a huge Pearl fan.  More so how he is 100% involved in the program and university.  He isn't the greatest coach and does have some ups and downs but i would embrace him immediately as our next coach

What he said ☝☝

25 minutes ago, Coach Shep said:

Winning is not the only thing at IU it is winning the right way.  It is fun winning the right way and it is not fun winning then having to vacate those wins.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Winning is not the only thing at IU it is winning the right way.  It is fun winning the right way and it is not fun winning then having to vacate those wins.

maybe start with winning, see how that works.  Then get back up on our soap box of moral superiority.  Because for the last 30 years we done it the "Right Way".  Look where that has gotten us.  If the NCAA is going to keep lowering the bar, its not doing it the "Wrong Way".  Its working within the confines of the rules set by the governing body.

31 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

maybe start with winning, see how that works.  Then get back up on our soap box of moral superiority.  Because for the last 30 years we done it the "Right Way".  Look where that has gotten us.  If the NCAA is going to keep lowering the bar, its not doing it the "Wrong Way".  Its working within the confines of the rules set by the governing body.

To be fair, we tried doing it the "wrong way" and ended up gutting the entire program. 

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

To be fair, we tried doing it the "wrong way" and ended up gutting the entire program. 

That was on us, not the NCAA.  We could have taken the slap on the wrist and continued to be a powerhouse.  Instead we felt so bad and so morally indignant that we choose execution over apology.

48 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I wouldn't say we did it the right way with Sampson and no t is not just about phone calls.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I wouldn't say we did it the right way with Sampson and no t is not just about phone calls.

True, but had we appealed the calls and went through the process and then they change the rules the same year, we probably don't sink the program for 20 years.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't have taken a bit more control of the players.  And that would have happened the next year when many of them wouldn't be eligible.

We killed Goliath.  We killed ourselves over our Moral Superiority.  Why, i don't know?  I hope it made people sleep better at night because they are the ones who destroyed a blue blood program, when we would have most likely just have gotten a slap on the wrist

3 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

True, but had we appealed the calls and went through the process and then they change the rules the same year, we probably don't sink the program for 20 years.  That doesn't mean they shouldn't have taken a bit more control of the players.  And that would have happened the next year when many of them wouldn't be eligible.

We killed Goliath.  We killed ourselves over our Moral Superiority.  Why, i don't know?  I hope it made people sleep better at night because they are the ones who destroyed a blue blood program, when we would have most likely just have gotten a slap on the wrist

Just wondering....what would that appeal have looked like? "Oh, NCAA. Yes, our coach was the head of the Rules Committee, but we didn't know." 

"People" didn't destroy the program. A head coach who knew better did. Doesn't matter that they changed the rules the next year. The year the infractions occurred, they were against the rules.

And, "a bit more control of the players?" Between being a bunch of pot heads, and essentially ignoring the "student" part of student athlete, they got exactly what they deserved when Dakich came in and cleaned house.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Just wondering....what would that appeal have looked like? "Oh, NCAA. Yes, our coach was the head of the Rules Committee, but we didn't know." 

"People" didn't destroy the program. A head coach who knew better did. Doesn't matter that they changed the rules the next year. The year the infractions occurred, they were against the rules.

And, "a bit more control of the players?" Between being a bunch of pot heads, and essentially ignoring the "student" part of student athlete, they got exactly what they deserved when Dakich came in and cleaned house.

I don't know, it why you have lawyers and the such.  You don't cut off your leg for a hangnail.  That is my point.

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Versus taking responsibility... instead try to weasel out. Great lesson to teach young people 

really, that is what you got from that.  Jeeze man, you're one of the reasons i hate coming to this site anymore.  I am done with you.  please ignore me and don't respond man.

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

really, that is what you got from that.  Jeeze man, you're one of the reasons i hate coming to this site anymore.  I am done with you.  please ignore me and don't respond man.

Yep, that's what I got.

Personal accountability seems to be a lost character trait these days.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That was on us, not the NCAA.  We could have taken the slap on the wrist and continued to be a powerhouse.  Instead we felt so bad and so morally indignant that we choose execution over apology.

Seppuku after being shamed and losing face. 

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Serious question... why do we still act like they're bad people because of pot? 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Serious question... why do we still act like they're bad people because of pot? 

- Illegal still in Indiana 

- I guess when you are being given a free education, and being asked to represent the university, you expect more.

- Pot, combined with not going to class, compounded the problem and further played into an image of a program out of control 

- The future generations of potential Hoosiers. Maybe I am too old school, but not what I want my kids looking up to 

Far as I can tell “winning the right way” is a wonderful idea, if your coach can’t dip into the grey area then we should have kept Archie or better yet turn the Hall into a museum and give up. I’d take Pearl right this minute, he’s got passion to burn-give him Indiana’s keys and we would be rolling in short order.

3 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't know, it why you have lawyers and the such.  You don't cut off your leg for a hangnail.  That is my point.

It wasn't a hangnail. Not only were there drugs going on, but I'm pretty sure academics took a major back seat as well. Sampson got fired for phone calls because that's what looked the best for the university. It was a lot more than that. I'm not a fan of him at all, but I give Dakich props for coming in and setting things straight immediately and booting the guys who weren't respecting their scholarships. 

Today? The pot use probably isn't as big of a deal, but where is your limit? Paying players directly under the table? Giving their family members jobs and houses? When you're talking about grey areas, that's going to be a wide range of what different people will find acceptable. For example, would you be ok winning a championship if it meant you would have to vacate it later?

Slippery slope is slippery and all that ... 

I am getting to old to keep doing it the right way and keep having same old results. I have lost a lot of passion for college basketball because IU does it the right way. After NORTH CAROLINA and their way! I am ready to chase a championship by playing in the grey! Heck if Pitino would come here take him and win. Or we can all lose interest in IUMBB by March. Just my thoughts.

Archived