How many seeds will the B1G lose next year?

Just now, dgambill said:

After this horrible showing in the tournament how many seeds do you think it will cost us? We had 9 this year...over under on 7??

personally i think 9 is too many from one conference.  i like your number of 7.  i would not take the under there though, so i'd say over.  

Regardless of anything else, the Power 5 conferences still hold the majority of cards when it comes to at-large bids.  So, an 18-13 Big Ten team will still get in over a 26-5 regular season champion from a one bid league that loses in the conference tournament. 

My guess would be that 7-8 bids is the likely norm regardless of past performance in the tournament.  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

No, not based on one bad game in the tournament

Fair enough....just seeing the B1G as a whole get run through like Hitler through Western Europe to me has to put a thought in many voters minds that the conference might be a little over hyped and thus result in lowering rankings next year or people slow to move them up until they see teams are for real. Just wondering 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Fair enough....just seeing the B1G as a whole get run through like Hitler through Western Europe to me has to put a thought in many voters minds that the conference might be a little over hyped and thus result in lowering rankings next year or people slow to move them up until they see teams are for real. Just wondering 

I think they will look at the roster of the teams and see what they have coming back when they rank the teams.  So if UI, Iowa and UM go down in the rankings it is probably who they lost to graduation or guys leaving early.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think they will look at the roster of the teams and see what they have coming back when they rank the teams.  So if UI, Iowa and UM go down in the rankings it is probably who they lost to graduation or guys leaving early.

I think most voters have no clue who is on the rosters but maybe the good ones.

8 hours ago, dgambill said:

What SOS metric is based on voter perception?

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don’t see how this years performance by the Big Ten would have any impact on seedings of Big Ten teams next season. 

The selection committee doesn't even remotely operate that way. 

This.  Even though I would love to hear, "We can't put Purdue in the tournament because they pissed themselves last year."

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

What SOS metric is based on voter perception?

I think I was under the impression that SOS was based on a combination of things which would include your ranking. Ranking being controlled by AP and Coaches. Guess not. Just wondering.

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don’t see how this years performance by the Big Ten would have any impact on seedings of Big Ten teams next season. 

The selection committee doesn't even remotely operate that way. 

No not at the end of the year. More my thought preseason rankings and may hold a bias throughout next year when ranking B1G teams. Not sure how we all got ranked so high throughout this year even when B1G teams were losing. I mean Iowa went on like a 4 out of 5 losses and was still a top 12 team. Guess I wasn’t sure why they were still being ranked so high except that the perception the B1G was the top conference. Now we have proof the B1G was a fraud this year and wondering if it would impact those rankings next year. If it does then it could effect number of teams getting in the tourney on the back end and how high teams are seeded. I appreciate the explanation. 

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No not at the end of the year. More my thought preseason rankings and may hold a bias throughout next year when ranking B1G teams. Not sure how we all got ranked so high throughout this year even when B1G teams were losing. I mean Iowa went on like a 4 out of 5 losses and was still a top 12 team. Guess I wasn’t sure why they were still being ranked so high except that the perception the B1G was the top conference. Now we have proof the B1G was a fraud this year and wondering if it would impact those rankings next year. If it does then it could effect number of teams getting in the tourney on the back end and how high teams are seeded. I appreciate the explanation. 

My theory: There wasn't much to go on in the OOC games. For example, I believe both OSU and Rutgers were undefeated OOC including the B1G/ACC matchup, so facing at least one P5 team. Once you got into conference games, some of those losses didn't seem to be as bad because everyone in the B1G was ranked high due to the OOC games. 

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I wouldn’t really say the Big Ten was a fraud. There is no doubt there are a large number of well coached, tough, disciplined teams. But once again, when it comes time for the tournament, So many flame out and underwhelm. Should we move the big 10 tournament so it ends on Saturday like almost everyone else? (mid-majors a whole week earlier). Do we just play to physical a game that does not match up well against tournament opponents? Is this influenced by the Big officiating? I think there are a lot of possibilities other than a fraud.

It will come down to how well teams perform in their out of conference games.  One of the difficulties this year was the relatively small number of major conference clashes which made it hard to assess strength.  The B1G looked good because we brought back a number of players who would have been gone under normal circumstances.  Combined with our wins over a weaker than normal ACC it was assumed several teams were better than they really were and thus wins over them were inflated.  If normality returns and there are more chances to compare then if the conference does well outside the conference we'll get a large number of bids, if we struggle then the opposite. 

Archived