Armaan Franklin entering transfer portal

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If we make a sound hire, the new coach will have a chance to win him back.  Let’s keep our fingers crossed.  This shows the stress the kids are under.  Hang tight, ignore the noise, and hopefully we get a good coach. 

I just hope any kid that puts his name in the portal at least has an open minded conversation with our new coach...whoever it is...

Nobody should rip on Armaan or any other player for doing what is best for them. It is also not smart to rip a kid who may come back. 

This is reason waiting on Stevens or any coach into June/July is not going to work. In fact, waiting too far into April is not going to work. These kids can't sit around hoping it works out. They need to know who will be leading the program, which directly impacts their future. I am all for Dolson doing his due diligence but it is not an open-ended window of time. He needs to figure it out sooner rather than later.

This does make me wonder just how far Dolson is from selecting a coach.  I think we still have plenty of time, but now coaches can start to talk to Franklin.  I wonder how many other IU players will look at this and consider the same thing to get that process going?  The longer IU does not have a coach to talk with Franklin the longer i am concerned this moves from exploratory to done deal.

1 minute ago, iuthruandthru said:

This does make me wonder just how far Dolson is from selecting a coach.  I think we still have plenty of time, but now coaches can start to talk to Franklin.  I wonder how many other IU players will look at this and consider the same thing to get that process going?  The longer IU does not have a coach to talk with Franklin the longer i am concerned this moves from exploratory to done deal.

now this concern i get.  i don't want to be in a hurry though, and surely Armaan and anyone else can wait a little bit.  i mean absolute latest the announcement would be right after the tourney  assume.  

This is the new world of college basketball and why recruiting will be even more diverse and important.  Players will be continually watching out for themselves, if they have hopes of playing professionally.  Transferring will always be an option now because it's easier.  Also more room for questionable recruitment practices possibly.  JMHO

18 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

now this concern i get.  i don't want to be in a hurry though, and surely Armaan and anyone else can wait a little bit.  i mean absolute latest the announcement would be right after the tourney  assume.  

Agreed, i think IU still has weeks to navigate this.  I am just looking at this like recruiting, and while IU has been home for two years, any outside coach now has extra weeks to talk to him.  And i think Armaan is someone a lot of coaches will look at.

This was the one kid in this group that was able to create his own shot, had the onions to take and hit the game winning shots, and was clearly willing to put in serious work to get better, based on the jump from his first to second year. I know there's some homerism/wishful thinking in here, but I seriously saw a Vic Oladipo timeline playing out for Armaan. It's really going to suck if we lose him, because this is the kind of player you build/rebuild a program around. Good to hear this is just exploratory, and I really hope the new coach can bring him back into the fold.

Is there a deadline for entering the portal?  I ask, because if there is concern about the new coach, why not wait 2 more weeks until you see what develops based on how the tournament goes?  We should know more about who IU's coach might be by then.   Is he allowed to have contact with coaches of other schools while they are in Indy? 

26 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Is there a deadline for entering the portal?  I ask, because if there is concern about the new coach, why not wait 2 more weeks until you see what develops based on how the tournament goes?  We should know more about who IU's coach might be by then.   Is he allowed to have contact with coaches of other schools while they are in Indy? 

Couldn't find anything about a deadline, but doubt there is one since players leave at different times all year round (in and out of season). Schools have to enter the student athlete into the portal within 2 days of being notified and once in the portal, the player can be contacted by other coaches. So basically, AF is fair game to hear pitches from coaches until he decides where he is playing next year.

Noticed Jamal Mashburn Jr. is in the portal. He'd be a nice get for new coach. 

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Basketball/TransferPortal/

Transfer Portal 411

Under the college transfer policy, when a student-athlete informs a school that he wishes to transfer, that institution has two business days to enter that athlete's name into a national transfer portal. Once the student-athlete's name is in the database, other coaches from any school can contact that individual.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I wonder why he wouldn’t wait until the new coach is announced.  

Don’t want him to leave at all, but if he’s considering it, the timing is actually smart. He’ll hear the pitches from other coaches and be fully informed of his options when he meets with the new IU coach. 

41 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Don’t want him to leave at all, but if he’s considering it, the timing is actually smart. He’ll hear the pitches from other coaches and be fully informed of his options when he meets with the new IU coach. 

Yep not worried about him one bit. This team was not very good even with him. I’d prefer to have him back but I’d hope whomever we bring in will be recruiting better and better players. The talent level we have at IU is some of the worst I’ve ever seen since I’ve been alive. I don’t see a problem with the right coach upgrading our backcourt. Be nice to at least get another year out of some of our guys but at the end of the day if we land one of the coaches I expect us too....we will have several transfers in the next couple years because Archies kids are just not at the level I expect us to play at.

Usually kids leave once they put their name in the hat. He will get love from a whole lot of big name schools. I could see him going to Michigan St or Kentucky, anywhere he wants really. I hope this situation is different, but unless we hire a slam dunk , I’d say he’s gone.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Pretty sure we've had players leave during the summer months, so I'd guess no. 

Archived