Armaan Franklin entering transfer portal

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Is there a deadline for entering the portal?  I ask, because if there is concern about the new coach, why not wait 2 more weeks until you see what develops based on how the tournament goes?  We should know more about who IU's coach might be by then.   Is he allowed to have contact with coaches of other schools while they are in Indy? 

There is no deadline. They can enter whenever they wish.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a way, I think every player should enter the portal so that the new coach also has a choice to not "re-recruit" them.  In a way, I think CAM would have done better if he had to start completely from scratch.  I guess I just think that if we are looking for reasons to jump off the proverbial bridge, losing players this off season is not one of them.  The next coach is either gonna right the ship, or he isn't. Hard to see us being relevant next year without serious retooling anyways.

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

Usually kids leave once they put their name in the hat. He will get love from a whole lot of big name schools. I could see him going to Michigan St or Kentucky, anywhere he wants really. I hope this situation is different, but unless we hire a slam dunk , I’d say he’s gone.

I wouldnt be too worried atm. this is not a usual circumstance. 

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Nope

Actually technically he does. The one time waiver hasn’t been passed yet. They were supposed to vote on that in January but they didn’t. He could always apply for a waiver to be immediately eligible and they would probably grant it. The sit out a year rule is still technically the rule as of right now.  They do plan to vote on it in May again which will probably pass but it’s not permanent and will only be a rule for a year before they make their complete rule change is what I read. 

4 hours ago, IUDan93 said:

In a way, I think every player should enter the portal so that the new coach also has a choice to not "re-recruit" them.  In a way, I think CAM would have done better if he had to start completely from scratch.  I guess I just think that if we are looking for reasons to jump off the proverbial bridge, losing players this off season is not one of them.  The next coach is either gonna right the ship, or he isn't. Hard to see us being relevant next year without serious retooling anyways.

I disagree with the last part. If everyone stays, including TJD, our front court will compete for best in conference. Lander and Franklin could compete for the best backcourts - it would take a big leap from Lander, but with a new coach, it's very possible. I feel like Archie the coach tried to turn his guards into Archie the player, who was an undersized guard that could shoot, but didn't have the athleticism to create things, so he had to protect the ball and knock down shots when they fell in his lap. He seemed to want to turn our guard into that: they, especially Lander, were not that.

4 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

I disagree with the last part. If everyone stays, including TJD, our front court will compete for best in conference. Lander and Franklin could compete for the best backcourts - it would take a big leap from Lander, but with a new coach, it's very possible. I feel like Archie the coach tried to turn his guards into Archie the player, who was an undersized guard that could shoot, but didn't have the athleticism to create things, so he had to protect the ball and knock down shots when they fell in his lap. He seemed to want to turn our guard into that: they, especially Lander, were not that.

Don't forget Stewart. I think with the right coach and system, plus maybe one or two transfers, we could actually be formidable next year. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Parker Stewart added his name to transfer portal list it appears.

I expect to see more and more from IU added to the portal the longer this coaching search goes on.  The uncertainty is going to push some parents and players to want to ensure they have time to talk to coaches and whats better than right now with most of the good teams here in Indiana.

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I expect to see more and more from IU added to the portal the longer this coaching search goes on.  The uncertainty is going to push some parents and players to want to ensure they have time to talk to coaches and whats better than right now with most of the good teams here in Indiana.

He needs to get a marlin on the line soon.  If he hires an IU guy like Woodson our roster might end up resembling Crean's first year.

I have no problem with the players protecting their own options....and at the same time if a new coach comes in I have no problem with him telling certain players they might be better off looking elsewhere. It's a 2 way street.

Yep. I'd expect to end up with a Penn State sort of situation - I believe they have 4 starters and 6 total in the portal, and we could see something similar. On the plus side, a new coach should be able to get players who fit his system pretty quickly via transfer, and could also bring recruits along with him.

Just now, Seeking6 said:

I have no problem with the players protecting their own options....and at the same time if a new coach comes in I have no problem with him telling certain players they might be better off looking elsewhere. It's a 2 way street.

My only fear is that when you start shopping around to protect yourself, it starts to look greener on the other side and we will lose more to the sales pitch than would normally happen

Just now, AxnJxn said:

Yep. I'd expect to end up with a Penn State sort of situation - I believe they have 4 starters and 6 total in the portal, and we could see something similar. On the plus side, a new coach should be able to get players who fit his system pretty quickly via transfer, and could also bring recruits along with him.

I think it depends on the hire.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

He needs to get a marlin on the line soon.  If he hires an IU guy like Woodson our roster might end up resembling Crean's first year.

Why would a college player not want to be trained and coached by a guy with 25 years of experience training and coaching NBA guys?  

Either convince us or stop being lazy with posts like this.  ALL OF YOU.  

1 hour ago, AxnJxn said:

Boeheim was on DD yesterday and predicted there will be a team in the top 5 next year because of the transfer market.  

Easiest rebuild season ever. 

Archived