~Mid Season Take

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

An example of a coach who struggled for two years and has turned it around is Bobby Hurley.  He won 15 and 16 games his first two years at ASU and now have them ranked in the top 5.  Hopefully Archie can do this once he gets his type of players playing his system.

Another example is Archie's own brother - Sean, at Arizona.  His first year wasn't special, only won 16 games. 

There isn't anybody who has said we are doomed with Archie as a coach because of anything this year.  I'll be the first to admit that I haven't been real pleased with this year from the players and the coaches, but that doesn't mean he can't be the right guy moving forward.  I'm still looking forward to what he'll do here.

Having said that, I don't get why any questioning of Miller is so taboo sometimes.  Just because something he did is questioned doesn't mean somebody wants him fired.  It's perfectly fine to use critical thinking and discus the here and now.  Just because this roster isn't perfect doesn't mean we need to sit here and applaud everything great and blame everyone else for anything bad.

I get mad at my dog for chewing on my shoes, but he's still a good dog.  People can question someone's coaching and still think they're a good coach.

8 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

There isn't anybody who has said we are doomed with Archie as a coach because of anything this year.  I'll be the first to admit that I haven't been real pleased with this year from the players and the coaches, but that doesn't mean he can't be the right guy moving forward.  I'm still looking forward to what he'll do here.

Having said that, I don't get why any questioning of Miller is so taboo sometimes.  Just because something he did is questioned doesn't mean somebody wants him fired.  It's perfectly fine to use critical thinking and discus the here and now.  Just because this roster isn't perfect doesn't mean we need to sit here and applaud everything great and blame everyone else for anything bad.

I get mad at my dog for chewing on my shoes, but he's still a good dog.  People can question someone's coaching and still think they're a good coach.

This.  I understand how limited the roster is, I understand they’re not Archie’s guys, and I’m still optimistic Archie can be successful at IU.  But I don’t think it’s unfair or unreasonable to at least question the coaching when the team looks this bad.  Chris Holtmann took an OSU team that was just as bad as IU was last year and dominated this Wisconsin team, in Madison, with King, Trice, and Pritzl playing.  Shouldn’t we expect Archie to be able to achieve similar results?

I expected Archie’s coaching to make this team more than the sum of its parts, and I expected to see steady improvement from game to game.  So far, that hasn’t happened yet.  I agree with most of you that it seems to be mostly on the players, but I don’t see how Archie bears absolutely no responsibility. 

I think it's unfair to compare Archie to Holtmann.  I didn't watch a lot of Butler last season but I'm assuming his system is very similar to Matta' s.  Archie and Crean are polar opposites which makes the transition so much harder.   It's like comparing Bob Knight to Mike Davis.  Most of our current players had no idea what defense was before Archie arrived.

i get it.  CAM doesn't want to be the guy who benches his seniors half way through the season, when they might still have delusions of playing pro ball somewhere.  He is being loyal to the guys who were/are loyal to the program.  Its just hard to sit and watch this train wreck of a team stumble and bumble down the court.  But i get it.

49 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

If CAM starts chewing on someone's shoes, he's gone.

8 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i get it.  CAM doesn't want to be the guy who benches his seniors half way through the season, when they might still have delusions of playing pro ball somewhere.  He is being loyal to the guys who were/are loyal to the program.  Its just hard to sit and watch this train wreck of a team stumble and bumble down the court.  But i get it.

this is the tough thing.

On 1/3/2018 at 7:10 AM, 5fouls said:

Here's where I have trouble fully buying into the argument about style of play.  If Newkirk is a lost cause in running the motion offense, why play him?  Why not go ahead and bite the bullet and turn things over to Green and Durham?  Sure, there will be mistakes, but it's not like we're winning anyway.

If it takes time to learn the motion offense, what better use of a lost season than to give Justin Smith and Clifton Moore extended minutes?  That way, they have experience in the offense and can help teach it to next year's freshmen bigs.

But, Archie is not doing those things.  He's either misguided about what the veterans can do, or he's not willing to adapt his style even the slightest bit to accommodate the player's strengths.

Don't get me wrong.  I think Archie is a good coach.  I'm just not sure he's a good coach for this particular group of players.  How much of that is on the players and how much of that is on the coach is open for interpretation. But, it's not unreasonable to conclude it's a blend of both. 

I think you’d be hard pressed to find a coach or an AD that’s willing to accept a lost season 3 games into conference play, hence the minute dispersion.

I don’t think he’s misguided; I’m sure the coaching staff realizes they aren’t doing anything this year. I just think they’ll let the seniors play their final year and bring the young guys up in their system during practice and whatever game time they receive (which is why you see Green and Durham getting pulled for bad plays, IMO). I don’t see much point in adapting your style when you know how you want to play going forward and have a year without pressure to put it into place. 

Im not too worried going forward, as I think Miller will recruit guys with a higher basketball IQ than what Crean looked for. It will be less of a learning curve, especially if he can lock down the state. A guy like Phinisee is going to understand the motion better as a freshman than Newkirk does as a senior. Indiana players are simply coached at a higher level at an earlier age than other states. Hell, I saw high school players when I lived in North Carolina doing things that used to get us benched in 5th grade in Indiana.

Archived