Arkansas Fans Have Discovered a Really Bad Justin Smith Take from 2019 and it's everything wrong with our culture currently

The Article

The Arkansas boards have found this article and are sharing it like wildfire. I like Kent and think he's an outstanding person but this aged like hot and sour milk. I also think it's emblematic of the problems with this fanbase currently. Kent basically says Fayetteville is a giant hog farm and that Arkansas will never be better than IU in basketball. Welp. Two former players are in the Sweet 16 and Justin has been a star of the tourney. We have such blinders on sometimes that we don't realize Indiana hasn't translated to a new generation of athletes. We could all post 50 fond memories each on the board about days gone by. Until we start winning, kids who care about a 1987 Championship are diamonds in the rough. We support with our pocketbooks, our time, and an unwavering passion. No doubt we deserve better from this program. However, let's not act like we are better than everyone else while we continually miss recruits and pray to make the tourney. Until we start winning consistently, we have no room to point fingers. Been with this board since the grand (double secret!) exodus back in the day and this is a hard pill to swallow. I hope the next coach brings back some pride to this program. 

He should be getting dumped on in the comments. What ‘professional’ grown man writes a piece like that?

I’m happy for Justin. His success is proving that he was the player we all though we should have had, and solidifies that CAM needed to go. I wonder how Rob would be doing in another program right now....whatever it is that we run on offense sucked all the confidence out of him. And I understand that Fayetteville Is supposed to be an awesome town. It’s like people who’ve never been to Bloomington diminishing it to a wasteland of farm fields.  

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

He should be getting dumped on in the comments. What ‘professional’ grown man writes a piece like that?

I’m happy for Justin. His success is proving that he was the player we all though we should have had, and solidifies that CAM needed to go. I wonder how Rob would be doing in another program right now....whatever it is that we run on offense sucked all the confidence out of him. And I understand that Fayetteville Is supposed to be an awesome town. It’s like people who’ve never been to Bloomington diminishing it to a wasteland of farm fields.  

To the Arkansas fans credit, we do have West Lafayette in this state.

Hate to dish on a fellow New Albany guy, but this is what older people tend to do on the internet; they express opinions in a local sense, not understanding that people in other localities or with other points of view may eventually read it. Didn’t age well, and it paints a broader picture of many  IU fans who think we are still the premier destination for coaching. I hope I am wrong, but if we end up with a lackluster hire, it would be proof  that we can’t lure the big fish anymore. Bad article.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Did they watch breakfast with Kent this morning?  Ignore Kent guys.  He's a gas bag.

Adidas is going to have a say? It’s going to be an Adidas coach? I stopped watched after that. I have watched 3 clips from this guy and a total of 30 seconds. 

At the end of the day, JS seemed to have a pretty terrible attitude at IU by his junior year, and I’ll admit that I wasn’t sad to see him go. Muss has clearly done a better job utilizing his strengths than Archie did, and I’m glad Justin’s getting the opportunity that he did.

Well, if you've followed IU basketball long enough you have seen the repetition of articles from the alleged professional journalists, insiders, and bloggers for what they are - click bait. 

When I see the names Sterling, Kravitz, Ostermann and many other "journalists" that have grown like mold in an abandoned refrigerator I know it's likely to be something negative about the program. It's mostly opinion with a negative slant or controversial rant to draw attention. When the tournament comes around, whether IU is in it or not, you get the negative shots at the program. Some deserved. Some not. What you won't get is anything resembling a legit news source. On a slow day they will pull out a Bob Knight controversy from two or three decades ago to get clicks. That still happens to this day. The point is, these so called journalists or insiders are not good at their jobs.

Most of the time it's clear all they did was steal someones thought from a fan forum, like this one, and write it up as if it was an original thought of their own. They don't do research. They certainly don't verify rumors. They steal the thoughts of fans, run with anything that draws attention so they can claim they broke the story first, and some of them have the nerve to ask for payment for their "insights". The truth is most of the fans on this forum are better writers and would do a better job covering IU sports than what you see from the "pros". If you are paying any of these morons for their services, you're too stupid to have that money anyway.

What's worse - they could care less if IU ever recovers. In fact, it is in their best interest to continually take shots at the program and hope the drama remains in place. That gets them more radio, podcast, and tv opportunities for their high level insider insights. Knight had it right years ago, "All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things."

Demizi hasnt played a minute in the tournament, and Justin is the same player he was at IU. it's not like he has transformed his game. He's a slasher/cutter who gets some offensive put backs. Arkansas' open court style of play fits better than what Indiana's did with the inside type of play and clogging the paint. JS just simply didnt fit.

58 minutes ago, Rev_AK said:

Hate to dish on a fellow New Albany guy, but this is what older people tend to do on the internet; they express opinions in a local sense, not understanding that people in other localities or with other points of view may eventually read it. Didn’t age well, and it paints a broader picture of many  IU fans who think we are still the premier destination for coaching. I hope I am wrong, but if we end up with a lackluster hire, it would be proof  that we can’t lure the big fish anymore. Bad article.

We can hate on everyone from New Albany on here...lol...

1 hour ago, Rev_AK said:

Would have agreed with you comment had you left out the bolded part. 

Not really fair to generalize. 

19 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Demizi hasnt played a minute in the tournament, and Justin is the same player he was at IU. it's not like he has transformed his game. He's a slasher/cutter who gets some offensive put backs. Arkansas' open court style of play fits better than what Indiana's did with the inside type of play and clogging the paint. JS just simply didnt fit.

Agree with this completely. I'm super happy for Justin Smith, with that said having watched a few of their games I don't see an incredibly improved player. 

I see a happier and more motivated person in a system that's much more suited to his skill set, and a guy with more talented teammates (ie. better guard play around him).

He's playing the 4, which by many accounts he complained about at IU, but he's in a more up and down, open court system that suits his skills. 

When I watched I saw a lot of offensive rebound put backs, slashes to the basket for drop-off dunks, etc., etc.  I also still saw the airball 10ft jumpers from the baseline, barreling into the lane charges, etc. 

Again, I'm really happy for him. Musselman's system is way better suited to Smith's game. 

24 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Well, if you've followed IU basketball long enough you have seen the repetition of articles from the alleged professional journalists, insiders, and bloggers for what they are - click bait. 

When I see the names Sterling, Kravitz, Ostermann and many other "journalists" that have grown like mold in an abandoned refrigerator I know it's likely to be something negative about the program. It's mostly opinion with a negative slant or controversial rant to draw attention. When the tournament comes around, whether IU is in it or not, you get the negative shots at the program. Some deserved. Some not. What you won't get is anything resembling a legit news source. On a slow day they will pull out a Bob Knight controversy from two or three decades ago to get clicks. That still happens to this day. The point is, these so called journalists or insiders are not good at their jobs.

Most of the time it's clear all they did was steal someones thought from a fan forum, like this one, and write it up as if it was an original thought of their own. They don't do research. They certainly don't verify rumors. They steal the thoughts of fans, run with anything that draws attention so they can claim they broke the story first, and some of them have the nerve to ask for payment for their "insights". The truth is most of the fans on this forum are better writers and would do a better job covering IU sports than what you see from the "pros". If you are paying any of these morons for their services, you're too stupid to have that money anyway.

What's worse - they could care less if IU ever recovers. In fact, it is in their best interest to continually take shots at the program and hope the drama remains in place. That gets them more radio, podcast, and tv opportunities for their high level insider insights. Knight had it right years ago, "All of us learn to write in the second grade. Most of us go on to greater things."

We have some guys that are good bloggers.  TDH usually has pretty good content.  I think some of the podcast guys do as well.  I also think some of them take abuse for things they get fed by people at Indiana.  For instance, I know that the Matta physical story was being leaked by someone connected to IU because I was hearing it somewhere else than Coyle.

Outside of that, we don't have journalists anymore.  We have content creators.  And when you are a content creator, you get paid by the amount of people you can attract to your content.  Writing a story about match ups and things like that doesn't generate interest.  What gets people going is slamming their team in an over the top way or writing about drama.  People who don't like the team you are writing about will click to pile on.  People who do will get led there because they had it passed by a friend or saw it linked by someone who was outraged by the content.  It is like with Goodman.  We know he has been a troll the past few weeks but every time he goes on Twitter and takes a dig at Indiana, it shows up on these forums.  He eats that crap up.  Doing that drives views his way and makes him look relevant.

Our issue is that we have 20 years of being malcontents so we are an easy target.  Like someone said above, we have lazy content creators at the top of the hierarchy for Indiana.  They know what buttons to push on a slow news day and we eat it up. Every. Single. Time.

25 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree with this completely. I'm super happy for Justin Smith, with that said having watched a few of their games I don't see an incredibly improved player. 

I see a happier and more motivated person in a system that's much more suited to his skill set, and a guy with more talented teammates (ie. better guard play around him).

He's playing the 4, which by many accounts he complained about at IU, but he's in a more up and down, open court system that suits his skills. 

When I watched I saw a lot of offensive rebound put backs, slashes to the basket for drop-off dunks, etc., etc.  I also still saw the airball 10ft jumpers from the baseline, barreling into the lane charges, etc. 

Again, I'm really happy for him. Musselman's system is way better suited to Smith's game. 

Great points.  It also looks like Arkansas’ offense has very good spacing.   He’s got much more space than he had here.  It was clogged here.  He’s got much more room to dive toward the basket and score.  You’re totally right about his attitude and competitiveness.  He appears to be like a different guy that way.  

46 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Great points.  It also looks like Arkansas’ offense has very good spacing.   He’s got much more space than he had here.  It was clogged here.  He’s got much more room to dive toward the basket and score.  You’re totally right about his attitude and competitiveness.  He appears to be like a different guy that way.  

Watching him run the floor to get back on defense was the one thing i noticed immediately

48 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Shooters are a wonderful thing. 

1 hour ago, madmax said:

At the end of the day, JS seemed to have a pretty terrible attitude at IU by his junior year, and I’ll admit that I wasn’t sad to see him go. Muss has clearly done a better job utilizing his strengths than Archie did, and I’m glad Justin’s getting the opportunity that he did.

During the whole Archie era, I thought Smith was a bit of an issue with his outspoken dad. It turned out Archie was the problem; he was not a good leader of young men. Maybe he was for lesser talented kids at Dayton, but he just couldn't handle players at IU the way he should've at a high major D1 program.  

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

I agree with you that Justin is the same player and he hasn't added anything to his game. But the thing is his new coach knows how to utilize him to his strengths. And obviously, Arkansas is having a great season, so that would contribute to Justin's happiness quite a bit. Like they say, winning cures everything. 

Archived