Arkansas Fans Have Discovered a Really Bad Justin Smith Take from 2019 and it's everything wrong with our culture currently

4 hours ago, CampHoosier said:

The Article

The Arkansas boards have found this article and are sharing it like wildfire. I like Kent and think he's an outstanding person but this aged like hot and sour milk. I also think it's emblematic of the problems with this fanbase currently. Kent basically says Fayetteville is a giant hog farm and that Arkansas will never be better than IU in basketball. Welp. Two former players are in the Sweet 16 and Justin has been a star of the tourney. We have such blinders on sometimes that we don't realize Indiana hasn't translated to a new generation of athletes. We could all post 50 fond memories each on the board about days gone by. Until we start winning, kids who care about a 1987 Championship are diamonds in the rough. We support with our pocketbooks, our time, and an unwavering passion. No doubt we deserve better from this program. However, let's not act like we are better than everyone else while we continually miss recruits and pray to make the tourney. Until we start winning consistently, we have no room to point fingers. Been with this board since the grand (double secret!) exodus back in the day and this is a hard pill to swallow. I hope the next coach brings back some pride to this program. 

Well that article didn't age well. I was bummed when Smith transferred.

Btw, my neighbor has something like 20 chickens and a rooster that crows very early in the morning. I get free eggs. 👍

Justin benefits from having shooters on the floor which provides spacing.  The spacing allows drives which open up his back door cuts. He also gets a ton of points off of offensive rebound put-backs because he is athletic and with the defense spread he has room to read the miss and get position. IU never had shooters and played with two posts. Teams just packed it in on us.  He was part of the problem because of his inconsistent outside shooting (if you played him at the three). Arkansas has surrounding players which help him out. If you have not recruited shooters or developed shooters in today's game, you are in trouble. Archies big fail is not surrounding players like Justin and TJD with shooters. If we have two shooters (consistent) on the floor and a guard to push tempo, then Justin and TJD are unstoppable with room. Just my thoughts.  Go Hoosiers.

56 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, looks like the exact same player to me, just with better teammates and in a system more suited to him. 

His percentages are almost the exact same too. His fg percentage is slightly higher and he’s averaging about 4 more points and a couple rebounds more. He’s the exact same player. 

Justin leaving was the best thing for him and it did not hurt us as much as some think. Race filled the 4 position with about the same impact. Justin wanted to play the three and so he left...... but he does not play the three at Arkansas. The couple of times I saw them play they had 4 out and Justin in the dunker spot which is basically the 4 position. Not much change in his game just more space. (If Joey and Franklin do not get hurt we probably squeak into the tournament and Archie stays one more year) Franklin was having a breakout year then his high ankle sprain made it impossible to move lateral and his season leveled off and our season tanked. I expect him to have a great year for someone next year and we will be saying how improved he became. 

I watch a lot of Kent Sterlings vids, and he is usually upbeat and positive about the IU program. I think he is a very good journalist. But, he really had a burr in his saddle about Justin Smith leaving, and I am very disappointed with his Fayetteville comments. I think he missed the fact that the problem was mostly CAM and very little to do with JS. Kent is about my age and I’m a life long IU fan, but that article stinks. 

13 hours ago, Ozerd said:

Justin aSmith still can't hit a wide open mid range jumper.

Who cares.  He got 11 offensive rebounds yesterday and has helped his team reach the Elite 8.  I would rather have a scenario with a valuable contributor on a Final Four caliber team than have one with an All-American on a team that missed the tourney.  

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Who cares.  He got 11 offensive rebounds yesterday and has helped his team reach the Elite 8.  I would rather have a scenario with a valuable contributor on a Final Four caliber team than have one with an All-American on a team that missed the tourney.  

He's definitely on a superior team.  I'm happy for him. He still can't shoot the rock with any consistency. 14 rebounds is amazing.

Archived