Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

I think it was covered in other thread but will say in hear as well. Easiest rebuild year ever with so many transfers hitting the portal. Like I said yesterday no problem with players protecting their options. My guess or fear is....do they have to declare their transfer portal by a certain date? 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think it was covered in other thread but will say in hear as well. Easiest rebuild year ever with so many transfers hitting the portal. Like I said yesterday no problem with players protecting their options. My guess or fear is....do they have to declare their transfer portal by a certain date? 

completely agree.  CYA. 

I was looking at the roster and if we lose those 3 in the portal but keep everyone else then it is a good roster to start with.

PG- Lander

2G- ? Hopefully get a great 6'5 shooting guard

SF- Hunter

PF- TJD

C- ? hopefully a 6'10 long and athletic center who can step out and shot outside

Bench

RP

Leal

Galloway

Geronimo

Brunk

Duncomb

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Crean never had the portal to pull from. The new coach will if we lose players. Which we knew we would.I'm betting 1500 or more in the portal this season with the free movement.

Actually, that might be a tad low!  And I am serious when I say that.

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I was looking at the roster and if we lose those 3 in the portal but keep everyone else then it is a good roster to start with.

PG- Lander

2G- ? Hopefully get a great 6'5 shooting guard LEAL

SF- Hunter

PF- TJD GERONIMO

C- ? hopefully a 6'10 long and athletic center who can step out and shot outside TJD

Bench

RP

Leal

Galloway

Geronimo

Brunk

Duncomb

If everyone on that list returns thats how id go.  We wont be tall, but we should run run run run run and just turn the game into a track meet.  Crean style but hopefully without the turnovers. 

For a guy I thought was for sure gonna go pro, he’s certainly giving off vibes he’s coming back. I haven’t seen a player on our roster be so public about his love for his teammates and disappointment that they are leaving.

Not getting my hopes up but I feel like if you were leaving then why care so much, ya know?

3B02EC67-843D-4C41-A76F-267874D2BDB8.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's also the counter-factual that we'll never know. How many players would have entered the transfer portal if Archie had been retained. I'm certain Durham would have and it sounds as though Race may have as well (interpreting RP's comments). No idea about the others. These guys can't help but see J Smith's experience. I'm sure some have remained in contact with him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Indykev said:

If guys only want to play for a coach and not IU then they dont get what IU is about to start with. The portal will make us better quicker. No Worries about who leaves in the end.

I think that has been one of the problems the last few years ----- our guys don't get what IU is about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

Unfortunately this could start to be a yearly occurrence.  Its NCAA version of free agency.  You essentially are going to have to re-recruit your entire team at this point if they long term let players transfer easily long term.

If scholarships are only one year commitments, that seems fair to me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If scholarships are only one year commitments, that seems fair to me.

I dont disagree, more stating this could be the new norm.  Also wonder if in a normal year with a coach in place how many would be going in.  Honestly if i was not the team start or thought i may not be used to my full potential i would look at my options.  My unfortunate comment was more around us fans having to grab more Tums at the though of losing players we like lol.

• Like 1