Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

you can count on it!  death, taxes, and Scott arguing whatever point you make.  i literally think he researches if he can't think of something immediately just to give you one example of how your point could be wrong.  generally it's very emphatic too.  you absolutely cannot be right because Scott disagrees!  i thought the board was going to explode when he and IUFLA turned aginst each other!

WWE Wrestlemania 34 AJ Styles Shinsuke Nakamura finish heel turn gif |  America's White Boy

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Very nervous for the mid major programs. In some cases teams that usually finish in bottom third of P5 conferences. Transferring without sitting has made them feeder programs. 

Because people want the kids to be treated the same as adults we've created a chaos and a system that will change hoops and recruiting forever.  

Coaching change transfers are fine. Life tragedy transfers fine. This though isn't going to work. 

Edit-And for the life of me tie a gpa requirement to any and all transfers

I think we need to let this play out. I think this year is going to be a bigger ‘free for all’ than most with the additional year being granted for COVID. And I believe that the transfer rule also only allows one ‘free’ transfer; after the second transfer you need to athlete needs to sit out a year. 

And let’s see how this affects mid-major programs too; they may be getting talented players who want minutes, but won’t get them at P5 schools. 

Correct me if I’m wrong, but all other sports except football, women’s BB and baseball don’t enforce that transfers lose a year of eligibility. They found a way to survive. Let’s see what happens; it’s too early to make too broad of conclusions. 

Edited by tdhoosier

These players don't have to go to college to play basketball. They could go overseas, G league, or even not play basketball, heck not even go to college. 

I don't agree players should be able to transfer without sitting a year,  in most cases. I am also glad they've become much more lenient on giving out a 6th year to kids. 

Just because it appears it's "unfair" to them, to me is honestly irrelevant.. sitting out a year is much better than the circus the alternative has produced. 

When I transferred colleges not all my credits transferred even though I had passed the exact same course at the prior school... a consequence for my mistake. 

• Like 9

Personally, I don't like this "free for all" and think the NCAA needs to set some kind of limitations. Obviously this is a unique year and circumstances, but going forward I think they need to set stricter guidelines.

At the very least, I would like to see them set a 30-60 day window for transfers at the end of the season for the portal. I am leaning towards players sitting out a year to transfer, especially if they transfer more than one time or within the same conference.

Just my .02

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Piston Honda said:

You guys are unreal. Dragging Armaan and India because you can't see him in a picture? India handled his initial recruitment the exact same way. Individual meetings with all coaches, asking them to outline their plan for Armaan. Armaan did the same with each coach. Then they calibrated and came up with a decision. They have met with Woodson. I am not sure what follow up meetings have taken place. I know many of these players are giving Woodson time to get to know them before making a final decision, Armaan included. Woody knew almost none of these kids before Sunday and you want them all to pledge allegiance without getting a few questions answered? Many know what he did for NBA guys; now they want to know what his plan is for them. Not wrong to get those answers before making a such a big decision. 

For those that may not know, this is a poster that should be listened to for players currently in, or that came from, Indianapolis area hoops programs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Piston Honda said:

You guys are unreal. Dragging Armaan and India because you can't see him in a picture? India handled his initial recruitment the exact same way. Individual meetings with all coaches, asking them to outline their plan for Armaan. Armaan did the same with each coach. Then they calibrated and came up with a decision. They have met with Woodson. I am not sure what follow up meetings have taken place. I know many of these players are giving Woodson time to get to know them before making a final decision, Armaan included. Woody knew almost none of these kids before Sunday and you want them all to pledge allegiance without getting a few questions answered? Many know what he did for NBA guys; now they want to know what his plan is for them. Not wrong to get those answers before making a such a big decision. 

It isn't dragging, stop being so melodramatic.  I am fine with them getting answers...now.  I am saying that of I were Woodson, I would not let this drag out very long.  We have what?  5 guys in that portal?  I am down to 10 scholarship players on the team, Franklin, Lander, Race, and Geronimo are all in the portal.  So right now I got 5 guys I can count on and 1 maybe going pro.  Go have your meetings with Illinois or whoever you want Armaan, but I made my pitch man.  I can't wait for half my team to "feel me out".  You are a high school recruit again.  All these guys went 12-15 last year.

I am not a big fan of waiting around while my fiance screws a couple other dudes just to make sure she is not missing out somewhere.  You want to take a break?  Your life, can't stop you and completely withing her right to make sure she is sure before making that commitment, but know that I am going to be looking to replace your butt from jump.  I find someone better?  C'est la vie.

Every guy on a 12-15 team is expendable.  Every. Last. One.  We have 5 or 6 people committed right now, I would be out recruiting 7 or 8 positions.

Edit to add:  I know there is this move that these are kids and blah, blah, blah... but college is a semi-pro league.  That is undeniable.  They get scholarships and some additional fun money to be here.  They are about to get NIL money added on.  This transfer portal is basically free agency.  So can we stop with all of this "they are just kids" nonsense?  Armaan is not here for the glory of old IU, he is here for Armaan.  I completely realize that and am fine with it.  By the same token, that means Armaan (or insert any player really, but he is the guy we are talking about) provides the same service to me as Myles Turner.  He is a guy that I pay (either by going and buying a ticket or from watching a game which generates ad revenue or buying merchandise or whatever...) to entertain me.  That will rub some people the wrong way who still view things the way they were.  Armaan is Oladipo telling players from Miami that he wants to play with them while being a Pacer.  Good player you would like to keep around because of that fact, but if we can get someone better while he is out looking, we should.  "Why should a kid be loyal when the coaches aren't?"  They don't have to be.  So why are fans expected to treat these guys like this is still a D3 or HS environment?  The relationships are going to change with the rules.

Edited by IUCrazy2
  • Like 4

Players come to to play for a University for the coach and/or school. I have zero problem with these players checking out their options. They were recruited by Archie. They need to get recruited again by Woodson. That’s just how it works. If they don’t agree with his vision for them and the team, then they can go elsewhere. Galloway and Leal, they clearly love Indiana and want to be here no matter what, which is great. However, other players checking out their options before recommitting to the team is literally no big deal at all. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Every guy on a 12-15 team is expendable.  Every. Last. One. 

I know its a hard concept, but there is an idea out there that in a team environment, you could possibly have some winning pieces. And to add to those winning pieces with other pieces may earn you a high caliber team.

To say every player on a 12-15 team in expendable is silly. 

Let's just get rid of everyone on the team, and not have a basketball team until we can recruit 5 new players to come in. we have LD for next year. and we will have a 2 man squad for '22. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

I know its a hard concept, but there is an idea out there that in a team environment, you could possibly have some winning pieces. And to add to those winning pieces with other pieces may earn you a high caliber team.

To say every player on a 12-15 team in expendable is silly. 

Let's just get rid of everyone on the team, and not have a basketball team until we can recruit 5 new players to come in. we have LD for next year. and we will have a 2 man squad for '22. 

In the aggregate, yeah, you would not want to lose the whole team.  But each individual piece of that team, on its own, is expendable.

You are saying that we need some of these guys to stick around to have a good chance next year.  No argument from me.  I am saying that the prior coach did not leave a full roster and about half of what he did leave is currently non-committal to being here next year.  It is normal and within their rights to want to look around to make sure they are in a good situation.  From a fan perspective, some of that is off putting, but we are fanatics.  By the same token though, them taking forever to make up their minds while good options get gobbled up leaves the team/coach in a bad position should they choose not to come back.  I am saying that every guy with his name in the portal right now is not an Indiana Hoosier.  He is a free agent.  They are free agents we have the home field advantage with, so keep recruiting.  However, also have an eye out to replace them and a drop dead date from them on when we need a decision.  We are in just as bad a spot as you presented if we wait a month for these guys and they all leave.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Players come to to play for a University for the coach and/or school. I have zero problem with these players checking out their options. They were recruited by Archie. They need to get recruited again by Woodson. That’s just how it works. If they don’t agree with his vision for them and the team, then they can go elsewhere. Galloway and Leal, they clearly love Indiana and want to be here no matter what, which is great. However, other players checking out their options before recommitting to the team is literally no big deal at all. 

Agreed. The whole system has changed. At the same time I have absolutely no problem with Woodson recruiting/not recruiting guys. It's his team. If we decide to upgrade through the portal more power to him. I'm not worried. The ones that want to be here will...the ones that don't wont. Can't be concerned over what we have no control over. I just want Woody to get the best 5-6 guys he can....ex IU players or not. He is in charge of putting together the best team he can. That's all I ask for. I'm not going to get upset Armaan leaves or TJD goes pro. IU will move on...the rebuild may take a little longer but in the end we will still play basketball next fall.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

I may know this answer already, but can an NBA player message a NCAA recruit about a potential school? What sort of contact can or can’t an NBA player have with a recruit. I know the NCAA has various restrictions and rules. Asking for a friend....

Do they have an IU bumper sticker?

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

21 year olds are adults. 

You can’t say somebody is mature enough to make a decision that impact their entire life at 17 or 18 like picking a college.  But then claim that same person isn’t mature enough to go “oh crap I made a mistake and need to change course”

Agree.

Also, I think it's a bit reductive to arbitrarily call these situations "mistakes". Of course there will be instances where the choices are ill-conceived, but many times it can simply be an evolution or growth that alters the path a player is on. The way the terms "mistakes" and "consequences" are thrown around here have such a strong subtext of negativity; as if the players need to atone for something.

People/players can make a correct decision in the moment and change their minds to make a decision that's equally acceptable and beneficial, even if it's 'contrary' to the first one.

• Like 4