Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

There is a rumor on their board about Kofi transferring( That’s most likely false). But their European Big, Giorgio, is headed overseas

I mean, if you want to go to the league, Ayo and Kofi have been pretty slow to develop to that level vs. expectations.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Oh no no, I was simply asking if there was any Franklin talk on there

I didn't go over there so I have no idea. To me listening to TJD about Franklin it didn't make me feel like he would come back.  When he said he was iffy about coming back and has trouble with trusting people.  Also with us going after some guards in the portal it makes me believe there is a good chance he won't come back.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't go over there so I have no idea. To me listening to TJD about Franklin it didn't make me feel like he would come back.  When he said he was iffy about coming back and has trouble with trusting people.  Also with us going after some guards in the portal it makes me believe there is a good chance he won't come back.

LOL...why would he trust Brad Underwood?  Not buying that at all.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...why would he trust Brad Underwood?  Not buying that at all.

Maybe he has been told by Woodson that his starting spot is not guaranteed here and he had been guaranteed that at UI.  I am hoping Coach Woodson will make every player earn their starting spot and playing time.  I don't want to lose him but I think Stewart is more than capable of replacing his numbers.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe he has been told by Woodson that his starting spot is not guaranteed here and he had been guaranteed that at UI.  I am hoping Coach Woodson will make every player earn their starting spot and playing time.  I don't want to lose him but I think Stewart is more than capable of replacing his numbers.

i hope coaches are better than promising anyone a starting spot.  a guy like Franklin would assume he'd get a spot, but it seems strange for Woodson or Underwood to even bring that up.  "If you come to Illinois, I promise you will be a starter."  just seems weird and unnecessary.    

Well I would like to see Franklin, Race an Landers all comeback! Everyone has to do what they think is the best direction for them at this point. 
That also includes Coach Woodson and IU. I would hope we are not sitting waiting for answers from them. 
Franklin,Race and Lander all ready know they will play. How much depends on them. Work on your shots, be ready to play hard. Get in shape. Is it going to really be different at any other school they go to.  Come play for Coach Woodson he was an NBA coach. I would think he could help them understand what they need to do to get to the next level. 

On 4/1/2021 at 6:17 PM, Seeking6 said:

Didn't see that one coming at all. Not even any puffs of smoke. Chicago kid who just enjoyed their best season in 15+ years and he's hitting the road. Really odd since Ayo is gone and obviously points/minutes can only go up. 

Been some talk of Underwood i.e. player development. Maybe kids want to get to pros in 2 years.....and not wait for 3. Watch Michigan here. They offered him as well.

Had heard rumors of this during the season but didn't think much of them, assumed they were from the Peoria crowd. Since Adam grew up there but moved to Chicago during his HS career, there were always some negative griping about him during his recruitment, assumed it was from folks bitter that he left their town.

Basically he's another kid who wants the ball in his hands, of course he's too small to be a 2G in the pros so wants a PG role and he knows that's not happening at Illinois with Curbello around. So he and his mom are looking elsewhere. Disappointing since he really seemed to be "bought in", turned into a pretty good defender and seemed to accept his role while waiting for Ayo to move on. Tweeted lots of stuff about how the program was "back" after the season, then....*poof*.

That's the new normal with the portal and free agency I guess. He's a good player but not irreplaceable. Illini will look a lot different next year! 😬

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, BruceDouglas said:

Had heard rumors of this during the season but didn't think much of them, assumed they were from the Peoria crowd. Since Adam grew up there but moved to Chicago during his HS career, there were always some negative griping about him during his recruitment, assumed it was from folks bitter that he left their town.

Basically he's another kid who wants the ball in his hands, of course he's too small to be a 2G in the pros so wants a PG role and he knows that's not happening at Illinois with Curbello around. So he and his mom are looking elsewhere. Disappointing since he really seemed to be "bought in", turned into a pretty good defender and seemed to accept his role while waiting for Ayo to move on. Tweeted lots of stuff about how the program was "back" after the season, then....*poof*.

That's the new normal with the portal and free agency I guess. He's a good player but not irreplaceable. Illini will look a lot different next year! 😬

Just seems odd but that all makes sense. I've heard some other stuff (upcoming transfer news in/out) for you guys. Strange times for sure. 

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just seems odd but that all makes sense. I've heard some other stuff (upcoming transfer news in/out) for you guys. Strange times for sure. 

Giorgi is heading home to turn pro. Hasn't seen his family in 2 years so can't blame him. Kofi will enter the draft, good chance he stays in but is a 2nd round pick at best. Small chance he returns but probably also headed overseas somewhere. Some other end of bench guys likely to transfer out. So most like we'll have Curbelo, Hawkins, Granderson back along with Hutcherson who sat out with back issues. Have added the big from Florida who is basically a Giorgi replacement. Need to get another SG, combo to back up Curbelo. Also trying to get the Mitchell kid from UMass.

Just seems like a lot of these transfers end up shuffling the deck with similar players ending up replacing another guy much like themselves at a new school. Good times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Between2Halls said:

If true this is how it feels to me. 

7827FEB6-4B21-4EF6-B81A-E9F99CC26173.jpeg

Would miss Franklin on a team I root for.  Fun kid to get behind and hope for success.  But, with that being said- if true, there is always a reason.  Guessing it comes down to wanting a situation to have the ball in hand and to be the guy.  With some of the returning players and rumored transfers, the ball will be going through the hoop with multiple hands.  

Just want to reiterate this kid has been as easy of a kid to root for do to his toughness and leadership.  All kids are looking for different opportunities and hope he stays, but understand if he doesn't.

• Like 1