Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

1 hour ago, Hoosierdave said:

Idk enough about recruiting but I’m assuming once Franklin entered the portal TJD reached out to Brooks about coming to IU in the hopes it would convince Franklin this is no rebuilding year.

Not a rebuilding year? The team was 12-15 last season. It's a rebuilding year regardless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

Guys, college basketball is no longer about landing 5 and 4 star OADs.  The new paradigm, like it or not, is recruit the transfer portal for nearly ready NBA prospects.  We are in the sweet spot!! IU Basketball Inc.

Edited by Rogermci
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Nah.

Lots of teams improve after a bad year.

Sure, it's not as though they could get much worse. Only 4 teams between them and the bottom of the B1G last year so it wouldn't take much for them to improve. 

It wasn't a good team that just had a bad year. At best it was a mediocre team that underperformed a bit. The new coaching staff alone could improve on that some but it would still be a mediocre team with a low ceiling. Fortunately, the team will have some new faces next year so the ceiling will hopefully be higher. Hard to tell until all the transferring in and out of the program is done.

8 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Sure, it's not as though they could get much worse. Only 4 teams between them and the bottom of the B1G last year so it wouldn't take much for them to improve. 

It wasn't a good team that just had a bad year. At best it was a mediocre team that underperformed a bit. The new coaching staff alone could improve on that some but it would still be a mediocre team with a low ceiling. Fortunately, the team will have some new faces next year so the ceiling will hopefully be higher. Hard to tell until all the transferring in and out of the program is done.

The real question is, how much improvement will there be?  I could see it quickly morphing from a rebuild to a fairly high level of success.  As you said, hard to tell until all the pieces are in place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rico said:

TBH, I think Cal needs KBJ more than KBJ needs UK.

If the rumors are true that they are landing Zibby from Creighton then watch out. One of the best players in the country hands down. That would be a dynamic addition for them. They have plenty of bigs they need shooters.

41 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

Guys, college basketball is no longer about landing 5 and 4 star OADs.  The new paradigm, like it or not, is recruit the transfer portal for nearly ready NBA prospects.  We are in the sweet spot!! IU Basketball Inc.

This is exactly what Beard said in almost exact words when interviewed by Colin Cowheard. Its roster management...and it begins with managing the portal and transfers (in and out).

9 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

:D

Well he has NBA caliber speed and court vision. Needs to improve on his shooting and becoming a more "attacking" pg but I KNOW Woody will help him with that. Not everyone has to shoot 3's all the time...but even if he can become say a 30% 3 pt shooter he would be deadly.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have a feeling a certain guy with the same last name as a Ketchup brand and of no relation to Garth will be a Hoosier by the end of the week.

Would be a great addition since we will likely lose Geronimo and Race. We need a starting 4...and I'll take starter quality even if he doesn't stretch the floor between him and Hunter we should be able to cover the position.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well he has NBA caliber speed and court vision. Needs to improve on his shooting and becoming a more "attacking" pg but I KNOW Woody will help him with that. Not everyone has to shoot 3's all the time...but even if he can become say a 30% 3 pt shooter he would be deadly.

Think Rajon Rondo??

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Would be a great addition since we will likely lose Geronimo and Race. We need a starting 4...and I'll take starter quality even if he doesn't stretch the floor between him and Hunter we should be able to cover the position.

I saw some rumors that Geronimo might be coming back. This would be huge since I thought for sure he was gone due to him mom wanting him closer to home.

• Like 3