Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

NO!!!!! Guards, space, 3s, movement!! lol I can't go another season watching offense just dump it in the post every possession.

The post is better when you have Guards that can hit 3s, create space for the bigs in the post, and are free to move. That is what made our offense ineffective.

Just now, IUaic said:

The post is better when you have Guards that can hit 3s, create space for the bigs in the post, and are free to move. That is what made our offense ineffective.

Somewhat, yes. I see no way Brunk and TJD play big mins together, and we are successful next year. This isn't 1983.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wait.. what isn't a winning formula? Movement, spacing, multiple threats from deep, effective ball screens?

You want two players that can't shoot outside of 5ft on the floor together and that's a recipe to win? What successful team rolls like that right?

But didn't Woody tell TJD if he didn't start taking that 15 foot jumper in games he'd put him on the bench? So I would think if Woody's going to open up the offense and have TJD shooting those, Joey or Race out there with him are going to be needed...

The point to me is, we need the interior depth. Wouldn't it have been nice to have Joey in there against Garza when Race and Trayce got into foul trouble against Iowa (although hats off to Jordan who did a good job that night)? Wouldn't it have been better to see Joey in there against Cockburn? Dickinson? rather than the undersized Race? 

• Like 1

The Baylor that I watched last night perfected the high-screen and roll, and created mismatches that their guards were able to take advantage of. To make that system work, you need multiple guards who can not only hit the 3, but can create off the dribble and get to the rim. They also have to be unselfish and give the ball up to the screener/roller when the play dictates. Baylor had all those components.

I think Landers can become that guy. I think that Aarman is probably as close as we have to that guy now, but if he doesn't come back, we're going to have a pretty big hole to fill. Leal will become a good outside threat, but I don't think he'll ever become a guy to drive and create.

We need a couple more of what Baylor had last night.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

But didn't Woody tell TJD if he didn't start taking that 15 foot jumper in games he'd put him on the bench? So I would think if Woody's going to open up the offense and have TJD shooting those, Joey or Race out there with him are going to be needed...

The point to me is, we need the interior depth. Wouldn't it have been nice to have Joey in there against Garza when Race and Trayce got into foul trouble against Iowa (although hats off to Jordan who did a good job that night)? Wouldn't it have been better to see Joey in there against Cockburn? Dickinson? rather than the undersized Race? 

I'm not playing TJD and Brunk together. TJD can shoot 15fters as the 5. We need spacing.

• Like 2

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

The Baylor that I watched last night perfected the high-screen and roll, and created mismatches that their guards were able to take advantage of. To make that system work, you need multiple guards who can not only hit the 3, but can create off the dribble and get to the rim. They also have to be unselfish and give the ball up to the screener/roller when the play dictates. Baylor had all those components.

I think Landers can become that guy. I think that Aarman is probably as close as we have to that guy now, but if he doesn't come back, we're going to have a pretty big hole to fill. Leal will become a good outside threat, but I don't think he'll ever become a guy to drive and create.

I agree...

What about Galloway? He seemed to be willing to the hoop, and with the years maturity both physically and mentally, I think he might be able to drive and create...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I said it in the post-game thread. Had Joey been able to play, no way would Edey have had the impact he did in the second Purdue game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

How many teams have true back to the basket post players now in their starting lineup? Better yet.. how many have TWO and were ranked the majority of the year? I can't think of any.

"true back to the basket post players"= can't shoot/play on the perimeter.

Answer to the first part...Illinois, Michigan, Rutgers and Purdue with Cockburn, Dickinson, Myles Johnson and Edey/Williams in the B1G...

To the second...None that I can think of right off the bat...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Answer to the first part...Illinois, Michigan, Rutgers and Purdue with Cockburn, Dickinson, Myles Johnson and Edey/Williams in the B1G...

To the second...None that I can think of right off the bat...

Idk that Rutgers does. They might have guys that don't shoot well... but back to the basket? I don't think any of these teams play two on the court at the same time.

And... the B1G hasn't won a NC in 20 years. Maybe it's time to modernize?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Idk that Rutgers does. They might have guys that don't shoot well... but back to the basket? I don't think any of these teams play two on the court at the same time.

And... the B1G hasn't won a NC in 20 years. Maybe it's time to modernize?

Positive Rutgers does...I've never seen Johnson make anything beside a little jump hook or dunk (and I probably watched 10-12 of their games last year)...But he's not in there for his offense...

Maybe it is time to modernize...

15 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I believe Archie was too focused on this. It’s why he only carried 11 on the roster

Agreed. Fill out your roster. Play who deserves it. If kids aren't happy about their playing time, they either work to get better and earn more, or the transfer out.

Archie had plenty of xfers out even with the open spots. Big mistake on his part IMO. Contributed to his downfall, when injuries hit he didn't have depth. If players needed to ride the bench for whatever reason, he didn't have depth. Contributed to his dismissal. 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Positive Rutgers does...I've never seen Johnson make anything beside a little jump hook or dunk (and I probably watched 10-12 of their games last year)...But he's not in there for his offense...

I didn't say a team that played two players that can't shoot. I said back to the basket players. Like you run offense through them with their back to the basket. "He's not there for offense" makes me think he doesn't fit the category.... Rutgers looked like 3 or 4 perimeter players and then another guy for put backs and duck ins.... then defends the rim on the other end.

3 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

https://www.si.com/college/washington/recruiting/national-recruit-tamar-bates-has-rush-of-new-suitors-including-uw

Tamar Bates wants to play for a black coach after all the racial tension. He decommitted from Texas after shaka moved on I think. Should Woody and Hunter give him a call. I suspect Shaka may still get him but who knows.

I'm not even going to get into the racial BS. Highly rated kid. I've not seen highlights.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Hanner Perea, skill set wise, is essentially what you need in a big man. A better verison, but you get the idea. Doesn't have to have a post move, doesn't have to do anything on the offensive end of the court besides set ball screens, grab offensive rebounds, and duck in when guards drive. That's it.

Defend the rim on the other end and be able to hold your own in a PNR situation.

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I didn't say a team that played two players that can't shoot. I said back to the basket players. Like you run offense through them with their back to the basket. "He's not there for offense" makes me think he doesn't fit the category.... Rutgers looked like 3 or 4 perimeter players and then another guy for put backs and duck ins.... then defends the rim on the other end.

No, they don't run their offense through Johnson...At least not all or even most of the time...

But he's definitely not a face-up guy...

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

No, they don't run their offense through Johnson...At least not all or even most of the time...

But he's definitely not a face-up guy...

That's what I'm saying... Brunk isn't that type of player. I don't see how you can play he and TJD together at this point in time.

Rutgers was a really well put together team. 4 guards.. two of them 6'6 and then a guy that can Oreb and defend the rim in their starting lineup. Modern.

• Like 1