Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Possibly even less than that with Race back. I think Geronimo, Hunter, and maybe Brooks all fit more what we want out of the 4 than Race does unless Race can start hitting about 30% or more of his three point attempts. 

Brooks only hits ~20% from three and that "maybe" there is the key word regarding him even being at IU next season. 26% freshman year and 21% last year compared to 20% for Thompson last year. More of an outside threat than Thompson, sure, but not by much.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Brooks only hits ~20% from three and that "maybe" there is the key word regarding him even being at IU next season. 26% freshman year and 21% last year compared to 20% for Thompson last year. More of an outside threat than Thompson, sure, but not by much.

I didn’t watch UK much but while he did’t hit many 3’s, he did attempt and hit more jumpers. If you define outside by shooting 3’s I see your point, but you can also define it as outside the paint, shooting jumpers. Plus, he plays more with his face to to the basket, while Race is primarily plays more in the post with his back to the basket. The point being that Brooks is better for an offense that wants to create space. 

Not saying Race can’t do this but he obviously wasn’t given the opportunity last year. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

It's not just about their three point shooting. Brooks can take people off the dribble from the perimeter and will cut baseline a lot off of drives, that isn't how Race plays at all. 

If Brooks were to come, I'm not sure how you can look at him as anything other than a stretch 4, while Race hasn't shown any "stretch" to his game. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

It's not just about their three point shooting. Brooks can take people off the dribble from the perimeter and will cut baseline a lot off of drives, that isn't how Race plays at all. 

If Brooks were to come, I'm not sure how you can look at him as anything other than a stretch 4, while Race hasn't shown any "stretch" to his game. 

I havent watched keion brooks any really. It sounds like KB is like a Justin Smith 2.0? But better at the mid range J's?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

I havent watched keion brooks any really. It sounds like KB is like a Justin Smith 2.0? But better at the mid range J's?

For me it is hard to get a read on KBJ's offensive skills in the screwed up Kentucky offense other than catsup can rebound farely well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Ok, line-ups with 3 players that had point guard size and point-guard like skills. I do not think that improving their ball handling or passing would hurt game plan. 

My point is that if CMW thinks it works, there is no reason we could not feature a lineup that that has Rob, KL, and the X-man.

I think Rob would be better off just being a "3 and D" guy with no PG duties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, iuthruandthru said:

When thinking about the front court I believe we also have to keep in mind Brunk is a big question mark.  At his size with back surgery I am just not sure what kind of a player he is going to be.  Back surgery is hard to recover from as an athlete, in particular if you are going to keep pushing your body at a high level after the surgery.  Look at all the back surgeries Tiger has had.  I am hopeful to get 10 minutes a game out of Brunk this year if we are lucky.  Hope I am wrong but really need to see him play first and see how much they build up the rest of his body to support his back.  So to me adding more to the front court is not a bad idea.

If we play 1 in and 4 out, we're not going to need Brunk to play 20 minutes a game.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ledies22 said:

He’s also the one that suggested Thompson starting at the 3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

sorry if i miscommunicated, but definitely don't think there's any way Thompson can play a minute at the 3.  not sure where that came from.  i guess my coaching resume isn't as solid as all of you bball geniuses, but i definitely didn't say that.  

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

awesome, senseless reply lol

sorry it took me a while to get back to you.  my only thought was that it is a little over the top to declare that you are 100% certain Stewart will start with a new team, new coach, etc.  i guess if you are the end all be all authority, that's fine.  

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

sorry it took me a while to get back to you.  my only thought was that it is a little over the top to declare that you are 100% certain Stewart will start with a new team, new coach, etc.  i guess if you are the end all be all authority, that's fine.  

Nothing is certain, but intuitively he is far and away the best candidate to start at the 2 or 3 depending on what Armaan does. 

Just now, ledies22 said:

sorry.  i meant can Brooks play the 3?  i have never seen Brooks play.  looking at his 3 point % i would think that would be rough alongside Thompson, but as i said, i am a fan of putting my 5 best players on the floor regardless of position.  i'm not as big of a fan of Hunter as most people and i want to see what Stewart brings.  sorry, i definitely don't see Race as a wing.  

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Nothing is certain, but intuitively he is far and away the best candidate to start at the 2 or 3 depending on what Armaan does. 

i agree.  just saying it is a little strong to say it is 100% guaranteed.  sorry guys.  not really looking to argue.  just seemed a little strong.  that's all.  i guess if it is an absolute 100% certainty, cool.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

sorry.  i meant can Brooks play the 3?  i have never seen Brooks play.  looking at his 3 point % i would think that would be rough alongside Thompson, but as i said, i am a fan of putting my 5 best players on the floor regardless of position.  i'm not as big of a fan of Hunter as most people and i want to see what Stewart brings.  sorry, i definitely don't see Race as a wing.  

no worries. it seems to me that if Armaan comes back, we will finally be in a position that we have too many players to play and dont know where to put them. Me having a simplistic basketball mind, i would hope that KB could develop a respectable (+/-30%) 3pt shot and maybe transition to the 3 and play solid minutes there.  Seems like we are the weakest at the 3 spot as it currently stands.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Sure, I guess. Didn't realize it was deep enough to get this upset over. 

Edited by btownqb

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i'll work on it.  and don't call me Jesus.  

Just don't pretend I was trying to make it like any other opinion than mine was wrong. Never once did I act like that, at least not on this topic. 

I edited my response because I shouldn't have said what I did. But you're initial response to my opinion that PS will be the 3 was ridiculous.