Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll be honest, this one is a bummer. Franklin is obviously allowed to make his own choice and he hasn't done anything wrong at all. I wish him well, though I won't be rooting for him or anything, he'll just be any other player. 

I just think it's weird that every other player came back (we knew Al was leaving all along), and every other in-state kid especially came back. It's just odd to me to have all of your teammates, again especially the in-state ones, profess their desire to bring IU back and their belief in Woodson, and then just have one guy bail. And, it's a guy that got a ton of playing time and the fans loved. 

So again, no ill will and I wish him well, and he has every right to make this choice, it just seems odd to me. I would more understand a guy like Geronimo wanting to get closer to home or even Race wanting to go to the school his dad and brother went to, but it just seems really off to me that an Indiana kid chose to leave when all of his teammates are staying. 

One thing I just thought of...TJD seems to imply that he knows someone else is coming in. Perhaps Franklin knows too and was concerned about playing time or who knows what else.

I think with the Portal this season there will still be 1-2 more additions and the roster will be fine.

• Like 3

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

One thing I just thought of...TJD seems to imply that he knows someone else is coming in. Perhaps Franklin knows too and was concerned about playing time or who knows what else.

I think with the Portal this season there will still be 1-2 more additions and the roster will be fine.

Could be. I hope so. I do think we still need at least one more guard/wing. Xavier and Stewart are great additions to Franklin, but it loses a tad of luster when they're basically replacing Franklin and Durham. 

Obviously, I'd hope/expect Lander, Phinisee, Galloway, Geronimo, and Leal to improve, but we need one more sure thing on the wing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Honestly, that's kind of my thought too. I want to be very careful to not disparage the Franklin as he seems like a great kid. But again, this just seems odd. 

We could speculate on a ton of things. Maybe he was turned off by having to get his own shot trainer..maybe he didn’t like how he was put back out there on a bum ankle...maybe he just wanted a sure fire successful team that wins. Could be any, all, or something totally different. All said I’m not going to waste my energy worrying about him. Moved on in my head several days ago (when I heard about Illinois interview) and haven’t looked back. Wouldn’t have turned him away and surprised by Geronimo and Race when they came back more than that they might go. Next guy up!!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'll be honest, this one is a bummer. Franklin is obviously allowed to make his own choice and he hasn't done anything wrong at all. I wish him well, though I won't be rooting for him or anything, he'll just be any other player. 

I just think it's weird that every other player came back (we knew Al was leaving all along), and every other in-state kid especially came back. It's just odd to me to have all of your teammates, again especially the in-state ones, profess their desire to bring IU back and their belief in Woodson, and then just have one guy bail. And, it's a guy that got a ton of playing time and the fans loved. 

So again, no ill will and I wish him well, and he has every right to make this choice, it just seems odd to me. I would more understand a guy like Geronimo wanting to get closer to home or even Race wanting to go to the school his dad and brother went to, but it just seems really off to me that an Indiana kid chose to leave when all of his teammates are staying. 

I'll bite and do a little speculation.

Bennett offers him a clear starting opportunity.

Woodson is looking to bring new guys in and nothing was guaranteed.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, we better have some talent still coming in if this is the case. There is nobody on the current roster taking minutes from Armaan imo

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

No issue for me with @BobSaccamanno take here. I do not agree, but I see where he is coming from. We can respectfully disagree. Besides, his take was way better than this goofball....

Screenshot_20210408-173011_Twitter.jpg

I don't see where "cleansing the BS" is coming from. Armaan did everything we asked of him in his time here. 

I'm not saying anyone has to root for him, he just did nothing wrong. 

• Like 4

Random thoughts although related more to this thread than any:

1) is it possible that Armaan was an Archie loyalist? To me it’s very telling that none of the players showed any remorse or regret that he was fired. Maybe Armaan liked coach Miller and bought into the packline?

2) Does anyone else think that we need a legit big man, maybe from the portal? TJD is not a 5, and Kofi and a few others gave him fits. Offensively, he held his own, but it would be nice for Brunk/Duncomb and maybe someone else to spell TJD on the defensive end...

3) Confused by all the Brooks speculation. He has not even entered the portal, or has he?

1 minute ago, Rev_AK said:

Random thoughts although related more to this thread than any:

1) is it possible that Armaan was an Archie loyalist? To me it’s very telling that none of the players showed any remorse or regret that he was fired. Maybe Armaan liked coach Miller and bought into the packline?

2) Does anyone else think that we need a legit big man, maybe from the portal? TJD is not a 5, and Kofi and a few others gave him fits. Offensively, he held his own, but it would be nice for Brunk/Duncomb and maybe someone else to spell TJD on the defensive end...

3) Confused by all the Brooks speculation. He has not even entered the portal, or has he?

1) No he was gone if Archie stayed 

2) TJD is most certainly a 5

3) A kid can enter the portal whenever 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rev_AK said:

It’s all talk right now, WRDK brought it up this morning that he is planning to transfer according to the guys on Rupp Rafters. On top of that I guess one of their “insiders” said Brooks was unhappy being at UK 

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

For that to be true, AF would have to look his IU teammates in the eye and say "I just don't want to work that hard to stay with you guys"  Seems a cowards way out.  Something just seems very off.  My best guess is he was an Archie guy through and through, and was hurt by the termination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

He’s not a Hoosier for life because he left after two years.. didn’t get a degree here.. a Hoosier for life would be if he was a grad transfer going to play his final year of college eligibility else where. Glad we had him for two years, but not a Hoosier for life.

mile?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, ledies22 said:

I don’t believe a player HAS to enter the portal. Entering the portal is to be recruited by other teams. If Brooks wants to come to IU and only IU, again I think, he can just say I’m transferring to IU without entering. 

I think it’s mandatory for athletes to put their name in the transfer portal 

• Like 2