Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

I saw where Seth Lundy (Penn St) is in the portal...He'll be a nice get for somebody, and I think we should at least reach out...

His numbers aren't sparkling (32% from 3 and 39% overall) but I watched PSU a lot last year, and he's a play maker...Kind of a taller (6'6) poor man's Geo Baker with the potential to be better...Had a 31 point game against Maryland late in the year...

Also saw where his former teammate, Jamari Wheeler, is going to Ohio State...OK get for them...Excellent defender, but not much on the offensive end...

6 minutes ago, Piston Honda said:

I expect IU to explore all options for shooting options. Including taking a page from Michigan and looking beyond D1 transfers like they did with Duncan Robinson. There is one name within Indiana college hoops right now available that I think would be an amazing fit. 

Who?

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

This is why guys like ol Roy are hanging it up. The rapidly changing landscape of college basketball where kids have as much power as these legendary coaches is going to turn the game upside down. I think we will see some other older HOF coaches probably hang it up in the near future too. What's going to be the point of molding and cultivating young talent when you will never get the benefit of seeing them reach their potential. You bring them along slowly (like Roy liked to do with freshman) and you start to fill in the gaps of their game and by the time they are ready to really contribute they transfer out to be the star somewhere else. These kids will demand immediate minutes early and be the focal point of the offense and it won't matter if it hurts your team you will do it or lose them. There is going to be some that will play the transfer portal thing and see if they can be successful but if you see teams like Duke struggle again next year and the next....K will be the next to go. Unless you have immediate impact talent like Suggs or Cunningham it just won't be worth it to bring in top 10 guys and try to develop them. Maybe this will help Indiana...hard to say...just depends on how we manage it. Going to be some interesting days ahead for sure...and probably a changing of the guard at the top.

I guess one good thing about having a coach who has never coached in college before is that he won't have to relearn recruiting and try to unlearn the old ways. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Complete player.  How many years of eligibility would he have?

I like how fast he immediately goes on fast break after a rebound.  He barely had the rebound and the split second his feet hit the ground he's gone.  

Yep...seems like an all around pretty good player. Interesting he has kind of a flat footed jump shot but obviously on the dunks he has pretty good pop in his jump. Not sure he has great lateral quickness. Wonder if he could get around his man here. Is this kid in the portal or anything like that or is this just all speculation?

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...seems like an all around pretty good player. Interesting he has kind of a flat footed jump shot but obviously on the dunks he has pretty good pop in his jump. Not sure he has great lateral quickness. Wonder if he could get around his man here. Is this kid in the portal or anything like that or is this just all speculation?

I don't think he'd be taking guys off of the dribble in D1 ball, but I think he can shoot and pass well enough at this level. I'd imagine on straight line drives and back cuts he would finish well, too, but he isn't going to break down any D1 guards with that level of quickness IMO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think he'd be taking guys off of the dribble in D1 ball, but I think he can shoot and pass well enough at this level. I'd imagine on straight line drives and back cuts he would finish well, too, but he isn't going to break down any D1 guards with that level of quickness IMO.

Kinda where I stood as well. Just saw people saying how fast he was getting up the floor etc. Thought my youtube was playing half speed or something. Just wasn't seeing that same explosive first step. That said once he had an open lane he finished impressively. I would compare him to Leal...kinda already have a kid like that on our team. Hopefully Anthony will be able to make a similar impact for us.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

I read the article twice wondering if I missed an Indiana mention.  The state is stocked full of ballers.  I have never heard of him, or at least don't remember hearing the name.  Wonder what he will become in 2 more years.  

I was right there with you.

Just now, Piston Honda said:

So our staff will only be recruiting guys they have a former connection with to fill this year's roster? Seems risky. There's been no talk since there's no need for him to enter the portal. He'll go pro overseas with the exception IU offers.

I admit, it is the safer bet that he won't be at IU next year. 

It would just seem strange. I don't know how transferring from NAIA to a D1 would work since there really aren't any rules on that. Maybe he'd have to reach out to IU himself. I'm not sure on all of that since he wouldn't technically have to enter the portal. That said IU would need to be informed of his interest somehow. 

1 hour ago, Piston Honda said:

I expect IU to explore all options for shooting options. Including taking a page from Michigan and looking beyond D1 transfers like they did with Duncan Robinson. There is one name within Indiana college hoops right now available that I think would be an amazing fit. 

Good to see ya around Piston!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I agree with this assessment. Since we already have somewhat similar players in Leal and Galloway and assuming they improve and make that Sophomore jump, I do not see a need for this guy.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Crazy sauce to me...

Jamal Mashburn, Jr., my favorite target for Woodson to get, is transferring to New Mexico to play for Pitino.

He has way too much talent to play at that level.

I'm guessing there is a long family history dating back to when Jamal's dad played for Richard's dad that is a part of this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1