Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

10 minutes ago, Piston Honda said:

I hope Leal pans out and I root for all kids who go to IU, but I feel Mangas is a better player that would add more to next year's team. Again, no idea if the interest will turn into an offer, but he is more of a complete player than he is getting credit for. Him winning multiple NAIA player of the year awards is a pretty good indicator he could be a legit contributor on a good D1 team.

My opinion: Mangas coming would be excellent for Leal. The coaching staff will be developing their offense in the next year. Mangas coming could cause them to build a role that Leal could step into the following year. 

I do not see any reason that Leal will not pan out. He was only a freshman in a Covid year. My understand from people in the know was that he would be a junior/senior contributor. He seems right on pace to me.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I didn’t think it was an IU rule I thought it was the law school who has that rule. Also he didn’t count towards the scholarships this year so technically IU had the choice to say we are going to pay for school or we aren’t. Maybe with Covid IU said it wasn’t in the budget to approve him to come another year and he’d have to pay on his own. 

It probably is the law school's rule (I do not know anything about the rule itself).

But assuming someone at IU imposes this rule and Brunk wants to have his law degree (partially) paid for with his athletic scholarship, he would have to go somewhere else. 

Law school is not cheap...

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i still can't believe we couldn't have used him 8-10 minutes a game.  if that's what he was told and wasn't good with it, then i get it.  seems weird though.  does he expect 20 + minutes a game somewhere coming off a back injury?

Depending on who else we get, I could see Race getting most of the backup time at the 4 and the 5, leaving Joey down to a pretty small role. Race was already playing more minutes than Joey two seasons ago at the end of the year, and now Race has a year of starting and playing major minutes under his belt and Joey is coming off of a back injury. 

32 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

It probably is the law school's rule (I do not know anything about the rule itself).

But assuming someone at IU imposes this rule and Brunk wants to have his law degree (partially) paid for with his athletic scholarship, he would have to go somewhere else. 

Better half worked days and went to law school at night. Got out for just a tad over $100k in student loans. Nope. Not cheap at all.

Regarding Brunk. Unless he's some Good Will Hunting dude....the amount of reading/studying first year of law school has just doesn't jive with also being a full time hoops player in P5 school.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Better half worked days and went to law school at night. Got out for just a tad over $100k in student loans. Nope. Not cheap at all.

Regarding Brunk. Unless he's some Good Will Hunting dude....the amount of reading/studying first year of law school has just doesn't jive with also being a full time hoops player in P5 school.

giphy.gif.29c97f1b752d710919baacbc643f8a56.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That makes sense.

If Brunk is clever (and wants to be a lawyer), he will go a place with a good law degree and basketball team for which he is WAY to good so he does not have to work as hard on his training (UPENN or Yale or something - if they offer athletic scholarships).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

That makes sense.

If Brunk is clever (and wants to be a lawyer), he will go a place with a good law degree and basketball team for which he is WAY to good so he does not have to work as hard on his training (UPENN or Yale or something - if they offer athletic scholarships).

If he's clever or smart he'll drop basketball before he seriously injures himself again and moves on with his life.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Yep exactly

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

That makes sense.

He’s technically not eligible for a scholarship so whatever school gets him would figure out a way to let him come for free.. my guess is academic scholarship if he’s smart enough to be a lawyer.

56 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

That makes sense.

They do not. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Depending on who else we get, I could see Race getting most of the backup time at the 4 and the 5, leaving Joey down to a pretty small role. Race was already playing more minutes than Joey two seasons ago at the end of the year, and now Race has a year of starting and playing major minutes under his belt and Joey is coming off of a back injury. 

i know the game has changed so much, but if Race doesn't start alongside TJD, at this point our 2nd tallest starter would be 6'7.''  i guess Race is only listed an inch shorter than TJD, but wouldn't we be awful small if Race is our backup 5 and Hunter is our 4 and when he goes out???  i guess that's just the new style of play, but will we have trouble guarding bigger teams?

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i know the game has changed so much, but if Race doesn't start alongside TJD, at this point our 2nd tallest starter would be 6'7.''  i guess Race is only listed an inch shorter than TJD, but wouldn't we be awful small if Race is our backup 5 and Hunter is our 4 and when he goes out???  i guess that's just the new style of play, but will we have trouble guarding bigger teams?

I don't really see any of that being a detriment at all. Baylors "4" was 6'5. Gonzaga's was 6'7. Houston went 6'7 and 6'8 in their front court. We still want to add a 6'7+ kid that is a 4, but no I don't really see height as being a problem. 

What team would exploit it? What teams are the bigger teams that would give us problems? I'll give you FSU, but they gave us problems when Race and Trayce started, so I don't see the big deal. We have to be able to spread teams before anything else. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Not if we have a bunch of tough minded kids....Final Four team, Houston did not have a player on their roster over 6'8". Defense is a mindset. Liked what Fife was saying about Phinesee being the head of the snake on defense. We just need to get a toughness instilled like a Buckner, Fife, Jim Thomas, Coverdale, Moye brought to the floor, game in/game out. Need to develop an attitude where we have leaders who get pissed off when an opponent starts to go off. 

We haven't had that for some time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Didn't COVID give "everyone" an additional year of eligibility?

Yes but he doesn’t count towards the scholarships so it’s up to the university to decide if they want to pay for the schooling or not. They can say yes you play your additional year but we aren’t paying for the schooling or room and board. I would assume most schools will pay if they want player back bad enough.

54 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Well I don't think this is our final roster but if it is I see your point. 

That said, won't other teams have trouble guarding us? Why do we have to adjust to them instead of making them adjust to what we are doing?

• Like 5