Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

I really don't want anyone to leave from current roster. I don't know maybe it's loyalty. Maybe it's I think all of them have the ability to contribute in some way next and upcoming years in a couple instances. However I understand Woodson needs to get his roster the way he wants it as quickly as possible. 

Our previous coach was hamstrung when taking over. Don't want to see that happen again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

For several reasons I disagree with you. But to keep this short and sweet, I would hate it for a kid who COMMITTED to IU and RECOMMITTED to a new coaching staff have his dreams killed because a kid WHO CHOSE TO GO ELSEWHERE decided he might have made a bad decision 

There are two things here. New coaches get leniency with doing this because the kids here or whatever school do not fit what they want. I have a problem with oversigning however I also reserve the right when the new coach gets here to have honest conversations with kids and see how they fit with him.  Does the kid a disservice if he thinks he might play and that may not be the intentions.  I have seen people getting mad about Brunk leaving and Woodson told him he wouldn’t play much.  Essentially saying he got rid of him.  He didn’t need to get rid of him.  We could go over the scholarship limit and kept him because he didn’t count.  Honesty always works best.  

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

For several reasons I disagree with you. But to keep this short and sweet, I would hate it for a kid who COMMITTED to IU and RECOMMITTED to a new coaching staff have his dreams killed because a kid WHO CHOSE TO GO ELSEWHERE decided he might have made a bad decision 

And that's the sad part about it. A couple of the players who would be at risk are there because it's Indiana...

Just like their coach was back in 1977...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

And that's the sad part about it. A couple of the players who would be at risk are there because it's Indiana...

Just like their coach was back in 1977...

Exactly....and I'm sure somewhere right now Coach Woodson is balancing that vs the responsibility of making this team better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Sounds like Woody is not content.  Man was brought here to do a job, and hard decisions are going to be made. Some of which, people may not agree with at first.  I would be happy with the current roster as is, but I also realize there are a few players that just aren't good enough

I guess we will find out.  It's easy to speculate.  

My angle of speculation is, some one is coming to the realization of a diminished role/playing time and is no longer cool with the prospect of that.  

I don't see this as a Creaning without more knowledge of the the situation.  Which we may never truly know.  I guess we will see. 

When you get playing time on a bad team, you should be confident that your coach is going to be looking for better talent than you.  

I hate naming names.  

• Like 2

This is all speculation, but the conversation of a guard moving on very well may not be centered around one of the guys who made clear they are committ6to Indiana regardless of coach. 

There is one scholarship guard on the roster that I can't recall hearing from since the season ended...

• Like 5

5 hours ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Sounds like Woody is not content.  Man was brought here to do a job, and hard decisions are going to be made. Some of which, people may not agree with at first.  I would be happy with the current roster as is, but I also realize there are a few players that just aren't good enough

I personally think that every player on our current roster is a Big Ten caliber player.  Are all of them all-conference level?  No,  But, that rule applies to every single team in the country.  

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

This is all speculation, but the conversation of a guard moving on very well may not be centered around one of the guys who made clear they are committ6to Indiana regardless of coach. 

There is one scholarship guard on the roster that I can't recall hearing from since the season ended...

You are correct.  There is one who has not spoken publicly.  But, shouldn't he have enough info by now, so that if wanted to leave IU, he would have already been in the portal?  Spots are filling up across the country.  A player waits too long and there won't be many good options left.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

You are correct.  There is one who has not spoken publicly.  But, shouldn't he have enough info by now, so that if wanted to leave IU, he would have already been in the portal?  Spots are filling up across the country.  A player waits too long and there won't be many good options left.

He also has been featured in all the videos, images, etc by iubb

4 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

oh no.  slight misunderstanding.  i usually disagree with what you say, but i meant with the rumor that someone plans to leave.  i don't necessarily mean the least talented of our roster.  i mean i can think of probably 2 who if they want to leave due to discontent with their possible role, i'm good with that.  

36 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I personally think that every player on our current roster is a Big Ten caliber player.  Are all of them all-conference level?  No,  But, that rule applies to every single team in the country.  

Not saying they aren't.  But there are a few who would get spot minutes at best on a top 3 team in the BIG. Just my opinion, but Woody and Fife both know what a National caliber team looks like. To get to that level, we need to make some hard realistic decisions on the front end of this thing.   Again, I would be fine keeping everyone we have.

I also think Woody will push harder due to his age. I would want to reap the rewards of my efforts,  instead of build it slowly and hand it off to the younger guy... but that's just me

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

From my perspective yes, I would think he has enough info to make a decision. But I also realize I have a very small snapshot into the complete picture of what each player games into account when they make these decisions. 

I like our roster, I think we have a good team and have 13 guys that will find a way to meaningfully contribute to wins next year. The guard in question has shown several times in his career he can make winning plays for this program. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

From my perspective yes, I would think he has enough info to make a decision. But I also realize I have a very small snapshot into the complete picture of what each player games into account when they make these decisions. 

I like our roster, I think we have a good team and have 13 guys that will find a way to meaningfully contribute to wins next year. The guard in question has shown several times in his career he can make winning plays for this program. 

I hope who you are talking about stays. I know we’re deeper at the guard position, but I’d rather see a player at a different position leave, assuming we bring in another 3/4 guy.

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He also has been featured in all the videos, images, etc by iubb

5 hours ago, WRSMick55 said:

It means NOTHING other than one guy mentioned Durham and  not Kopp. One shouldn’t put too much weight on these. They’re opinion , not fact.

You’re right, and I know that.  But I would say it means this list was put together by somebody who doesn’t have a clue. Hence, my comment.

• Like 1

I didn’t have time to read and catch up with the thread, but I’d imagine if a particular player were to leave at this point... it would most likely be the player making that call. I would also like to think that Woodson has talked to each of them individually and expressed his thoughts with them on their potential in his system. That player in particular will have to decide for himself if he shares Coach Woodson’s vision and role for him moving forward. That kind of decision isn’t an easy one, and may take a little time. Just my thoughts, but I would like to believe that there isn’t any “Creaning” going on. Some tough love? Perhaps. 

A side note; I think everyone here has enough knowledge to know that 40 divided by 13 doesn’t amount to much. So the younger guys may stick around to see what type of role they can carve out moving forward. However, the upperclassmen might want to go somewhere that they can get more run. I don’t know... seems like common sense to me. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

You’re right, and I know that.  But I would say it means this list was put together by somebody who doesn’t have a clue. Hence, my comment.

Oops,I  read it as meaning Kopp wasn’t worth adding; guess influenced by the previous negative comments. I agree, no clue.

• Haha 1