Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

39 minutes ago, psychobat said:

I think that has been one of the problems the last few years ----- our guys don't get what IU is about.

Does IU know what it means to be IU Basketball anymore?  That could be the problem.  We're not selling IU basketball to recruits.  We're selling IU the University with a basketball program.  Big programs like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc... Sell the basketball program and the added benefit of being good universities to boot.

We need to own it again.  We should be marketing it.  We should be pouring money into it.  We're the sleeping giant hoping for an invitation when we should be kicking the door in announcing that we're here.  Fear by the administration is the only thing holding us back.  The Alumni and the Fans are just waiting for a reason to pour money into IU again.  Sell out games.  Send their kids to their school. Hang banners! Dance in the streets.  Chant and sing INDIANA, INDIANA, INDIANA I AM ALL FOR YOU!!

It's all there.  Its all for the taking.  We just have to have the balls to walk into the coaches office we want and make him say yes.  Don't settle.  Don't beg.  Don't bargain.  Don't take no for an answer. Don't be freaking cheap.  Give him the keys to the program, get our of his freaking way and tell him to put us back on the stage.  Hang the next banner.  Conference Champion.  Conference tournament Champion. Elite Eight. Final Four. National Champion. 

Easier said than done?  Yeah.  All they have to do it try.  It's literally just money.  Money for New/Better facilities.  Money for Coaches and Assistants.  Money for Equipment.  Money for Recruiting.  Money for Advertising.  Spend it like its growing on your trees out back.  Then if you fail to make it.  If you cannot rise from the past glory.  You can say you tried.  You gave it your all.  You did what was needed and fell short. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Does IU know what it means to be IU Basketball anymore?  That could be the problem.  We're not selling IU basketball to recruits.  We're selling IU the University with a basketball program.  Big programs like Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, etc... Sell the basketball program and the added benefit of being good universities to boot.

We need to own it again.  We should be marketing it.  We should be pouring money into it.  We're the sleeping giant hoping for an invitation when we should be kicking the door in announcing that we're here.  Fear by the administration is the only thing holding us back.  The Alumni and the Fans are just waiting for a reason to pour money into IU again.  Sell out games.  Send their kids to their school. Hang banners! Dance in the streets.  Chant and sing INDIANA, INDIANA, INDIANA I AM ALL FOR YOU!!

It's all there.  Its all for the taking.  We just have to have the balls to walk into the coaches office we want and make him say yes.  Don't settle.  Don't beg.  Don't bargain.  Don't take no for an answer. Don't be freaking cheap.  Give him the keys to the program, get our of his freaking way and tell him to put us back on the stage.  Hang the next banner.  Conference Champion.  Conference tournament Champion. Elite Eight. Final Four. National Champion. 

Easier said than done?  Yeah.  All they have to do it try.  It's literally just money.  Money for New/Better facilities.  Money for Coaches and Assistants.  Money for Equipment.  Money for Recruiting.  Money for Advertising.  Spend it like its growing on your trees out back.  Then if you fail to make it.  If you cannot rise from the past glory.  You can say you tried.  You gave it your all.  You did what was needed and fell short. 

I would also lump the students into this.  I dont think many have any idea what IU basketball truly was and what it should be.  The whole atmosphere around IU basketball needs a revamp for them as well and most of what you listed above would help to educate and excite them as well.  But i think it all starts with the coaching hire and can he be that key cog for all of this.

Side note, since you mention equipment, I am still super disappointed they renovated SSAH instead of build something new.  I know that's not popular but I think the program would have been better served with a new arena.  Something unique that still held onto the best qualities of AH but brought the features of something like bankers life into the picture.  Its all part of that vision you are trying to turn into reality.

Time to get Adidas to step up their game as well.  Diversify the uniforms more, offer better and unique gear to fans, its all intertwined.  Best IU gear I have found is not from Adidas or fanatics, but from sites like Home Field Apparel.  Its all part of it.

Edited by iuthruandthru
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I would also lump the students into this.  I dont think many have any idea what IU basketball truly was and what it should be.  The whole atmosphere around IU basketball needs a revamp for them as well and most of what you listed above would help to educate and excite them as well.  But i think it all starts with the coaching hire and can he be that key cog for all of this.

Side note, since you mention equipment, I am still super disappointed they renovated SSAH instead of build something new.  I know that's not popular but I think the program would have been better served with a new arena.  Something unique that still held onto the best qualities of AH but brought the features of something like bankers life into the picture.  Its all part of that vision you are trying to turn into reality.

Time to get Adidas to step up their game as well.  Diversify the uniforms more, offer better and unique gear to fans, its all intertwined.  Best IU gear I have found is not from Adidas or fanatics, but from sites like Home Field Apparel.  Its all part of it.

That is what you get when you try to get so many put of state kids to come to IU.  Kids growing up in New York or Japan has no clue what IU basketball is all about.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is what you get when you try to get so many put of state kids to come to IU.  Kids growing up in New York or Japan has no clue what IU basketball is all about.

I get that but that's a fact of life now at all universities.  This isn't going away.  IU is more closely a private school now as are most public schools.

And to Iowa's point all the more reason to make sure these students get a taste for what IU basketball should be and can be.

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

All IU basketball to any 17-18 year old is losing basketball. Kids that go to schools out of sentiment typically aren’t the type of kid that are talented enough to go to any school they want. I want the best...not just the best in Indiana. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All IU basketball to any 17-18 year old is losing basketball. Kids that go to schools out of sentiment typically aren’t the type of kid that are talented enough to go to any school they want. I want the best...not just the best in Indiana. 

I am saying that the students from Indiana would be more willing to go to the games and be in the student section

Just now, IU Scott said:

I am saying that the students from Indiana would be more willing to go to the games and be in the student section

Winning fixes that. Success brings out the students. They aren’t going to line up like at Duke if we suck...no matter where they are from imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I guess this is pretty much what I was going to say.  I'll add to it that I honestly don't understand the theory that Woodson, Fife, Lewis, Alford, or Cheaney are going to be able to bring that back.  Kids these days don't have any interest in those guys.  Plus, how do they bring it back exactly?  I have used this example a lot, but is it by telling them stories of the good old days?  Cheaney, Woodson, Fife and Lewis didn't experience championships.  They can talk about Coach Knight?  Do kids care about that?  Serious question - how do you bring the culture back?  Does it really help to have an IU guy?  

Edited by NCHoosier32
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

Every student should get invited for a tour of Cook Hall by a former player.  Look at all the history there, see the facility and then get to walk the tunnel to SSAH for a tour there.  Just like what Beard did with his team, all IU students need to get exposed to this.

I know during freshman orientation that us Parents were given a tour of Memorial Stadium.  I know my daughter and all the freshman went to AH for something like a pep rally to learn the fight song and other game day festivities.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I know during freshman orientation that us Parents were given a tour of Memorial Stadium.  I know my daughter and all the freshman went to AH for something like a pep rally to learn the fight song and other game day festivities.

That's good to know.  One kid opted out of IU but my next one I think will be heading there.  Maybe we need some social influencers for IU sports, like TikTok videos, that's what the youngsters are hip to nowadays.

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I guess this is pretty much what I was going to say.  I'll add to it that I honestly don't understand the theory that Woodson, Fife, Lewis, Alford, or Cheaney are going to be able to bring that back.  Kids these days don't have any interest in those guys.  Plus, how do they bring it back exactly?  I have used this example a lot, but is it by telling them stories of the good old days?  Cheaney, Woodson, Fife and Lewis didn't experience championships.  They can talk about Coach Knight?  Do kids care about that?  Serious question - how do you bring the culture back?  Does it really help to have an IU guy?  

The culture is winning.  Its no different that any other big school.  Win and your culture is reconnected to the past.  Winning cures all as they say.  Can't do it the wrong way, but within the rules set by the NCAA.

• Like 2

I know I am old school but I think this one time transfer rule and the portal will hurt the game.  The thing I like about the college game is seeing players come in and grow as a player.  Now every year we will see more turnover the roster and will be harder to know the players

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iuthruandthru said:

This was the saddest part of the Archie era to me.  I was on campus from 2010—2017.  While there were too many ups and downs, it was generally pretty damn fun to be an IU basketball fan in Bloomington over that period of time — I saw three Sweet 16s, two conference championships, and another tournament appearance.  The team was explosive offensively, and say what you will about how weird he was, but Crean was a showman who created a lot of energy around the program.

But there wasn’t enough consistency, so we fired him with the hope that we could do better.  Then Archie showed up and completely sucked the life out of the program in every facet.  I cut class to go to his introductory press conference in Assembly Hall, and there was zero excitement.  He treated every single interview like a trip to the dentist, turned Hoosier Hysteria into a snooze fest, wrecked his players’ confidence, and instituted a style of play that was just horrible to watch on both ends of the floor.

He completely killed all the momentum Crean had created around the program, and now we have to try and pick up the pieces.  Winning is the most important thing, obviously, but we also need a coach that’s equipped to sell the program.  Archie was a total disaster in both respects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Just wondering of the players who do you think is out the door no matter what? I know Durham is. I hope that is it although other people's thoughts are Geronimo is out the door. I hope we don't lose him. He is the type of player to help build an awesome senior laden team, the get old stay old mantra. If though he doesn't want to play for IU then I will wish him and anyone who does choose to leave the best wishes and thank them for doing their level best!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Out of state kids would flock to games if we had decent teams. I’m related to kids that went to Duke, Alabama, Michigan, etc and NONE of them were from those states and they loved going to those schools basketball or football games. 

When I was at IU, in the “golden era” Stone Age, I knew a lot of out of state students (including New Yorkers) that LOVED going to the games and some of them admitted they partially went to IU because of the basketball program.  Out of state and in-state kids will still support the program but we need to win more. IU has not been one of the premier programs in the country during the lifetime of current freshman born in 2002 and we royally stunk the entire time those kids were in high school (how fired up would you be as a kid if the Archie era was during your entire time in high school?) If we are competitive it will be a thing to go to games again for both in-state and out of state students but coming in 9th and 10th the last few years just doesn’t cut it. I can’t blame them for not sharing your excitement.

Edited by IU878176
  • Like 2

Al per the Detroit Free-Press...

MSU also reportedly has reached out to Penn State big man John Harrar and Indiana guard Aljami Durham, both of whom are in the transfer portal along with Walker. Harrar and Durham are expected to be graduate transfers next season.