Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

Just now, iuthruandthru said:

I know they are all hedging their bets and doing what is best for them but you can't help but be a little concerned when you see half the team in the portal.  Just human nature.

I mean I am. I know people keep saying well with the new transfer rule we can rebuild the team. While yes that would be true the thing is that rule technically hasn’t even passed yet. So as of right now the true rule is unless they are a grad transfer or apply for a waiver they would have to sit a year to play. 

17 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I know they are all hedging their bets and doing what is best for them but you can't help but be a little concerned when you see half the team in the portal.  Just human nature.

I think this is going to be the new norm, at least for teams who have underperformed or whatever. I was just listening to a discussion about how Maryland is expecting a lot of turmoil/transfers, and they made the tournament, so I'm sure teams who had a  season like we did will see even more potential movement. 

One of the reasons I'm hoping they put an emphasis on recruiting with the new hire. Going forward, it seems coaches are going to have to recruit their own players annually as well as potential high school commitments. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

Wrote this in another thread. Last year we were 12 - 15. I am fine with them going. It may be a better fit. The new coach may bring in half of his team. Everyone gets a free transfer this year. New coach will bring players without a doubt.  

Yes, but that’s also known as Nebraska. I’m sure Teddy Allen is available 

4 minutes ago, MaroonRebel said:

Wrote this in another thread. Last year we were 12 - 15. I am fine with them going. It may be a better fit. The new coach may bring in half of his team. Everyone gets a free transfer this year. New coach will bring players without a doubt.  

Actually as of right now they don’t. The one time transfer rule hasn’t passed yet. The were supposed to vote in January and they pushed it back again. They are supposed to vote on it at the final four meeting they have every year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUskim said:

Actually as of right now they don’t. The one time transfer rule hasn’t passed yet. The were supposed to vote in January and they pushed it back again. They are supposed to vote on it at the final four meeting they have every year. 

I think most of have been assuming it was already in effect.  Typical NCAA....

1 hour ago, MaroonRebel said:

This makes no sense to me. 

3 hours ago, MaroonRebel said:

I'd be absolutely fine with Stevens bringing several members of the Celtics with him.

• Haha 4

29 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Not directed at you, just a general comment, but with open season transferring going on and a coaching change, what did we expect? Going to find out who really wanted to be a HOOSIER from the get-go when they came here.

Totally agree and said the same things. With the portal it will be so much easier now than Crean had it to bring in good players right away. 12-15, what are we really losing. Archie wasnt the problem a lone.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 1:42 PM, Bustout said:

As much as we dogged TJD during the season at times, I actually appreciate the fact he’s hanging in there to see who IU hires.  He could’ve thrown his name in the draft a week ago.    Hats off to him for showing some IU heart. 

Excellent point, Bustout.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Totally agree and said the same things. With the portal it will be so much easier now than Crean had it to bring in good players right away. 12-15, what are we really losing. Archie wasnt the problem a lone.

True but, and I cringe saying this, but IU was a competitive 12-15. If most of the guys leave, we’re a Nebraska dumpster fire. 

9 hours ago, ledies22 said:

This makes no sense to me. 

It is generally thought that they are going to pass a one transfer waiver this year. If that happens and we get  a coach in a major conference, he could possibly bring a few players from that team....... Unless it is Brad Stevens..... the Celtics are not coming. 

Edited by MaroonRebel