Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

45 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Really want all our guys back. Only player I thought had run their course. Think it was best for both parties. 

That being said.  We absolutely need to have 13 scholarship players next year.  14 if Brunk returns 

If I understand the rules correctly Brunk doesn’t actually count towards our scholarship count 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Looking at his Knick days, he had 11 players that averaged at or really close to 20 mpg...So it looks like he goes deep...

But that's also the Pros, so that might not mean much...

I never had a problem with only playing 7-8 players like Archie did.  It was thinking he could do that with only having 11. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

If I understand the rules correctly Brunk doesn’t actually count towards our scholarship count 

That’s what I meant. He’s a scholarship athlete.  But we get to have 13 others.   

Right now Woodson needs a stable for his first year. Some people aren’t going to adapt and he needs to be able to have enough to run 8 guys that fit out there 

• Like 3

So by my count we have 6 players either not in the portal or committed.  With Brunk a hopeful 7th.  

With 5 more in the portal or awaiting Decision. TJD, Race, Armaan, Lander, Geronimo

That means Woodson has 2 spots to fill. More if we lose people. But ideally I think we want to keep all those guys. 

25 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Getting the feel we may retain most. Really really want Armaan. That guy has an it factor that we need. And obviously TJD.

Armaan, Stewart, and Hunter could create a deadly trio on the perimeter shooting. 

Would be great if he had a point guard with elite speed and floor vision to feed those guys the ball, and an elite guy to score inside. We would be really hard to guard with the right scheme. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Just going to say this. I wish our program was on cruise control and just rolling. There is something fun about the climb though. Going to be fun to see what unfolds over the next 24 months until we get a full couple cycles of what Coach Woodson's vision is. 

I feel more positive at this moment than I think I ever was with Archie.  And, that includes how I felt immediately after Romeo committed.  

• Like 6

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Armaan, Stewart, and Hunter could create a deadly trio on the perimeter shooting. 

Would be great if he had a point guard with elite speed and floor vision to feed those guys the ball, and an elite guy to score inside. We would be really hard to guard with the right scheme. 

I would add Leal to that trio.  I really think he can be a solid contributor if used properly in the right offensive scheme.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I would add Leal to that trio.  I really think he can be a solid contributor if used properly in the right offensive scheme.  

Oh I agree 100%. I think Leal is coming off of the bench next year, but I hope Leal plus those other 3 I mentioned are all getting up 5+ threes per game each. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I’m a lot less worried about our Big man depth if we can keep him and TJD.  

Honestly I’ve always like our guys and mostly just think their system was junk.  We need to improve guard play but an impact transfer or two and getting out guys out of the portal could be huge. 

I like our bigs but man we need one of them to develop an outside shot or get one in the portal that can.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

FWIW, only two players listed as “transferring” (code for in portal) still showing on website Verbal Commits are Lander and Geronimo.  That is a recent change in that Race and Aarman are no longer listed.  Not sayin’, just sayin’ 

So Lander and Geronimo are still in the portal... am I reading that right? 

1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

So Lander and Geronimo are still in the portal... am I reading that right? 

Wow...if everyone but those two changed their mind fo stay overnight, then that was quite the recruiting job by Woodson.

I think Geronimo would be the toughest of these two to retain based on what we have heard.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

FWIW, only two players listed as “transferring” (code for in portal) still showing on website Verbal Commits are Lander and Geronimo.  That is a recent change in that Race and Aarman are no longer listed.  Not sayin’, just sayin’ 

Curious, where are you finding this?

9 hours ago, H00sier said:

I hope Franklin, Davis, and Lander stay ,they could be a special trio. I really like all the players, shame Archie couldn’t get them over the hump, I’m really excited to see CMW!

Agreed, and that's a really nice core to build around, especially in a year where you can almost plug and play with the transfer portal. 

10 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

How CMW uses his scholarships will be very interesting. Obviously comparing an NBA bench and college bench are apples to oranges, but does anyone know how he has used his rotations in the past? Does he ride or die with 7 or 8, or use more?

admittedly i don't watch the NBA, but they play a good 10 good minutes regularly don't they?  it's another thing i think i hate about the NBA, but i could be wrong.  those guys need their nights off and load management, etc, etc.