Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Saw Adam Miller from UI put his name in the portal

Didn't see that one coming at all. Not even any puffs of smoke. Chicago kid who just enjoyed their best season in 15+ years and he's hitting the road. Really odd since Ayo is gone and obviously points/minutes can only go up. 

Been some talk of Underwood i.e. player development. Maybe kids want to get to pros in 2 years.....and not wait for 3. Watch Michigan here. They offered him as well.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't see that one coming at all. Not even any puffs of smoke. Chicago kid who just enjoyed their best season in 15+ years and he's hitting the road. Really odd since Ayo is gone and obviously points/minutes can only go up. 

Been some talk of Underwood i.e. player development. Maybe kids want to get to pros in 2 years.....and not wait for 3. Watch Michigan here. They offered him as well.

I think Armann is looking at UI so there is a spot open.

• Like 1

I can't imagine this is what the NCAA wanted from the transfer portal but it seemed an obvious result once it got going. Then they amplified it this season with the one year wild wild west option to move anytime and  without sitting. 

It makes me wonder if they intended the portal as an appeasement for the growing push for player payment and ownership of their image/likeness.

Either way it's reeking havoc on programs and coaches. There has to be some sort of compromise that works better.

Edited by Euroclydon
  • Like 2

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

I really want Armaan here. But if he leaves, dear God not Illinois. Why???

That makes no sense to me.

Dangit Armaan, you are perhaps the most beloved player on this team. Stay home. 🙏

Would hate it too, but Champaign-Urbana is close enough to home for his parents, and he’s probably looking at what Ayo became the last two years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I have no problem with the portal.  

Nobody looks down on somebody who changes a job because it’s a bad fit.  Nobody looks down at a student who transfers because the program wasn’t right for them.  

I don't think anyone has a problem with the portal. At least I hope not...but as I said earlier in thread it's a two way street.

Woodson has the capability of establishing some flex here if you will. Great that you want to check out others.  Good luck. Hit the road.

Objectively, I don't mind that Franklin is poking around. These are extenuating circumstances, and I think given this unique situation he should be able to take stock of his options and make the best decision for him.

That said, if he ultimately chooses Illinois (which I personally don't see as a better destination in the short term or long), I hope we absolutely #POTFI.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

if I'm Woodson, you got another week man.  And by the way, until you are committed, I am going to be looking to recruit over you

If Coach Woodson isn't already "recruiting over" every single player we have, we picked the wrong guy.

It's his job to get the best players every year.

It's the players' jobs to outplay newcomers.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That kind of rubs me the wrong way.  I think he is going to be a heck of a player,  but if I'm Woodson, you got another week man.  And by the way, until you are committed, I am going to be looking to recruit over you.  If another guy comes in and we are out of spaces, best of luck young man.

I have a bigger problem with Geronimo's mom wanting him to transfer and be closer to home.

You don't put your desires ahead of your son's.

You can't be like The Waterboy and be a mamas boy forever.

• Like 2