Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

3 hours ago, Piston Honda said:

You guys are unreal. Dragging Armaan and India because you can't see him in a picture? India handled his initial recruitment the exact same way. Individual meetings with all coaches, asking them to outline their plan for Armaan. Armaan did the same with each coach. Then they calibrated and came up with a decision. They have met with Woodson. I am not sure what follow up meetings have taken place. I know many of these players are giving Woodson time to get to know them before making a final decision, Armaan included. Woody knew almost none of these kids before Sunday and you want them all to pledge allegiance without getting a few questions answered? Many know what he did for NBA guys; now they want to know what his plan is for them. Not wrong to get those answers before making a such a big decision. 

I mean, you and I agree, I’m thinking you meant to quote the other guy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

That would be sooo funny!

I have an IU window decal and IU plates on all my vehicles since 1990...

Who knows with all the NCAA bylaws etc....that said I would think it would be hard to stop someone who is in no official compacity of the university from sending a text or making a call. I mean I see NBA guys send tweets etc to kids....but I don't know if it went in the direction of pushing them to a school or not if it would cross the line. Maybe if its just Vic sending a tweet saying "Keeping my eyes on you youngin!" or "I see U!" but if it seems to be in any way acting on behalf of the university I would think it might get a flag. I mean all kinds of people comment on recruits twitter pages to choose IU all the time...not sure how you can monitor that unless they are a donor etc...even then it would be tough.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Who knows with all the NCAA bylaws etc....that said I would think it would be hard to stop someone who is in no official compacity of the university from sending a text or making a call. I mean I see NBA guys send tweets etc to kids....but I don't know if it went in the direction of pushing them to a school or not if it would cross the line. Maybe if its just Vic sending a tweet saying "Keeping my eyes on you youngin!" or "I see U!" but if it seems to be in any way acting on behalf of the university I would think it might get a flag. I mean all kinds of people comment on recruits twitter pages to choose IU all the time...not sure how you can monitor that unless they are a donor etc...even then it would be tough.

Imagine, if Carmelo texted/called a prospect in support of Woodson.  Would Syracuse get hit with sanctions? LOL

Knowing the NCAA, I wouldn't bet against it!

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Most of the time when you make a mistake there is consequences.

You don't think having to uproot your life to transfer is a consequence?

If anyone here has changed jobs because the situation they were in just wasn't working out for one reason or another, you know that even if there is no "gap" in your ability to work there is still tons of stress and anxiety with that situation. Why should me make it worse for student athletes that aren't even getting paid?

Maybe a bunch of these guys will be deciding or narrowing their lists after this weekend.  Being a holiday they'll likely be with family and friends and have the opportunity to talk with them.  Once the dominoes begin to fall, you don't want to be the "he who hesitates is lost" guy.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You don't think having to uproot your life to transfer is a consequence?

If anyone here has changed jobs because the situation they were in just wasn't working out for one reason or another, you know that even if there is no "gap" in your ability to work there is still tons of stress and anxiety with that situation. Why should me make it worse for student athletes that aren't even getting paid?

I'm not sure what you are going on about, but i was responding to this "So you want consequences to them deciding they made a mistake". All I was saying when you make a mistake there usually is consequences, so you proved my point. Thanks for that lol. 👍

Edited by Hoosier51

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

These players don't have to go to college to play basketball. They could go overseas, G league, or even not play basketball, heck not even go to college. 

I don't agree players should be able to transfer without sitting a year,  in most cases. I am also glad they've become much more lenient on giving out a 6th year to kids. 

Just because it appears it's "unfair" to them, to me is honestly irrelevant.. sitting out a year is much better than the circus the alternative has produced. 

When I transferred colleges not all my credits transferred even though I had passed the exact same course at the prior school... a consequence for my mistake. 

Don't the players have that same issue with credits not transferring?

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It isn't dragging, stop being so melodramatic.  I am fine with them getting answers...now.  I am saying that of I were Woodson, I would not let this drag out very long.  We have what?  5 guys in that portal?  I am down to 10 scholarship players on the team, Franklin, Lander, Race, and Geronimo are all in the portal.  So right now I got 5 guys I can count on and 1 maybe going pro.  Go have your meetings with Illinois or whoever you want Armaan, but I made my pitch man.  I can't wait for half my team to "feel me out".  You are a high school recruit again.  All these guys went 12-15 last year.

I am not a big fan of waiting around while my fiance screws a couple other dudes just to make sure she is not missing out somewhere.  You want to take a break?  Your life, can't stop you and completely withing her right to make sure she is sure before making that commitment, but know that I am going to be looking to replace your butt from jump.  I find someone better?  C'est la vie.

Every guy on a 12-15 team is expendable.  Every. Last. One.  We have 5 or 6 people committed right now, I would be out recruiting 7 or 8 positions.

Edit to add:  I know there is this move that these are kids and blah, blah, blah... but college is a semi-pro league.  That is undeniable.  They get scholarships and some additional fun money to be here.  They are about to get NIL money added on.  This transfer portal is basically free agency.  So can we stop with all of this "they are just kids" nonsense?  Armaan is not here for the glory of old IU, he is here for Armaan.  I completely realize that and am fine with it.  By the same token, that means Armaan (or insert any player really, but he is the guy we are talking about) provides the same service to me as Myles Turner.  He is a guy that I pay (either by going and buying a ticket or from watching a game which generates ad revenue or buying merchandise or whatever...) to entertain me.  That will rub some people the wrong way who still view things the way they were.  Armaan is Oladipo telling players from Miami that he wants to play with them while being a Pacer.  Good player you would like to keep around because of that fact, but if we can get someone better while he is out looking, we should.  "Why should a kid be loyal when the coaches aren't?"  They don't have to be.  So why are fans expected to treat these guys like this is still a D3 or HS environment?  The relationships are going to change with the rules.

This is a terrible post and a terrible analogy. 

If you're going to go with the marriage analogy think of Armaan like you would your daughter and Mike Woodson like a guy she just met. Do you want her to committ to marriage after the first date?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This is a terrible post and a terrible analogy. 

If you're going to go with the marriage analogy think of Armaan like you would your daughter and Mike Woodson like a guy she just met. Do you want her to committ to marriage after the first date?

Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea.  Analogy is hard to make perfect, Indiana could well be the guy as well.  My daughter has been seeing him for 2 years.

I stand behind my point though.  This is a business now, these dudes and their families better get ready to be treated like pros all the way around.

Edited by IUCrazy2

14 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I just read his bio on ESPN. It said he was considered one of the best 3 point shooters in the ACC. He is a 5’10” G. He was a sophomore so he wouldn’t be just a one year guy. 

Don't like the fact that he is 5'10" but it is probably not that BIG of a deal. IU could definitely use his 3 point shooting though.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It isn't dragging, stop being so melodramatic.  I am fine with them getting answers...now.  I am saying that of I were Woodson, I would not let this drag out very long.  We have what?  5 guys in that portal?  I am down to 10 scholarship players on the team, Franklin, Lander, Race, and Geronimo are all in the portal.  So right now I got 5 guys I can count on and 1 maybe going pro.  Go have your meetings with Illinois or whoever you want Armaan, but I made my pitch man.  I can't wait for half my team to "feel me out".  You are a high school recruit again.  All these guys went 12-15 last year.

I am not a big fan of waiting around while my fiance screws a couple other dudes just to make sure she is not missing out somewhere.  You want to take a break?  Your life, can't stop you and completely withing her right to make sure she is sure before making that commitment, but know that I am going to be looking to replace your butt from jump.  I find someone better?  C'est la vie.

Every guy on a 12-15 team is expendable.  Every. Last. One.  We have 5 or 6 people committed right now, I would be out recruiting 7 or 8 positions.

Edit to add:  I know there is this move that these are kids and blah, blah, blah... but college is a semi-pro league.  That is undeniable.  They get scholarships and some additional fun money to be here.  They are about to get NIL money added on.  This transfer portal is basically free agency.  So can we stop with all of this "they are just kids" nonsense?  Armaan is not here for the glory of old IU, he is here for Armaan.  I completely realize that and am fine with it.  By the same token, that means Armaan (or insert any player really, but he is the guy we are talking about) provides the same service to me as Myles Turner.  He is a guy that I pay (either by going and buying a ticket or from watching a game which generates ad revenue or buying merchandise or whatever...) to entertain me.  That will rub some people the wrong way who still view things the way they were.  Armaan is Oladipo telling players from Miami that he wants to play with them while being a Pacer.  Good player you would like to keep around because of that fact, but if we can get someone better while he is out looking, we should.  "Why should a kid be loyal when the coaches aren't?"  They don't have to be.  So why are fans expected to treat these guys like this is still a D3 or HS environment?  The relationships are going to change with the rules.

OK. I'm simply sharing what is actually happening. You are entitled to believe this is equivalent to infidelity; that's your prerogative. 

But I can't help noticing the irony of you calling me melodramatic and then literally writing a melodrama. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I'm not sure what you are going on about, but i was responding to this "So you want consequences to them deciding they made a mistake". All I was saying when you make a mistake there usually is consequences, so you proved my point. Thanks for that lol. 👍

Right, there already are consequences rather or not they have to sit out a year. They're young adults, they should be able to move around as they fit. 

Just now, Piston Honda said:

OK. I'm simply sharing what is actually happening. You are entitled to believe this is equivalent to infidelity; that's your prerogative. 

But I can't help noticing the irony of you calling me melodramatic and then literally writing a melodrama. 

I know you are sharing and you are apparently close to some of these kids coming up...cool beans.  Appreciate your perspective.  Knowing them personally probably makes you approach the topic from a different perspective.  Also cool.

This transfer portal stuff and NIL is about to change the game on some of you guys that are in that world.  That's all I am saying.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Sorry it wasn't your cup of tea.  Analogy is hard to make perfect, Indiana could well be the guy as well.  My daughter has been seeing him for 2 years.

I stand behind my point though.  This is a business now, these dudes and their families better get ready to be treated like pros all the way around.

You're right, it's business, and professionals should and do look around to make sure they are in the right situation on a regular basis. Especially if they have a change in leadership. You're essentially advocating firing people who start to look at other employment opportunities; if you run a business, I would imagine it's a toxic environment. 

42 minutes ago, Between2Halls said:

9DD12D0B-678A-48FB-A252-668DEE191E0B.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I just read his bio on ESPN. It said he was considered one of the best 3 point shooters in the ACC. He is a 5’10” G. He was a sophomore so he wouldn’t be just a one year guy. 

He would fit the profile of shooter that CMW is looking for, but wouldn't fit the switch on D so much at his height.

Career .411 3P% on 246 attempts.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/jalen-cone-1.html

• Like 1

I can guarantee you that if Mike Woodson takes the approach a lot of you want him to, he's going to have a really hard time convincing talented players in the future he cares about them and wants what is best for them. 

I want players that want to be at IU and are confident in that decision, not guys we rushed into a decision before they could possibly take the time to reflect and make an informed decision. Some of y'all are like high pressured used car salesman. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You're right, it's business, and professionals should and do look around to make sure they are in the right situation on a regular basis. Especially if they have a change in leadership. You're essentially advocating firing people who start to look at other employment opportunities; if you run a business, I would imagine it's a toxic environment. 

No, I am not saying that.  Not going to argue your analogy either.

Done arguing about it, the guy will do what he does.  If he ends up at Indiana, great.  Good player, seems like an ok dude.  If he doesn't, whatever.  We root for whoever fills his place.

This isn't the Leave it to Beaver NCAA anymore.

Edited by IUCrazy2

17 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No, Indiana isn't a person. Mike Woodson is a person and is the one Armaan has to commit to. Indiana very well may be the preferred place Armaan wants to live his life, but if it requires being married to someone be isn't compatible with then it's a bad decision for him. 

The way you talk about these young me is really telling about you as a person. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Right, there already are consequences rather or not they have to sit out a year. They're young adults, they should be able to move around as they fit. 

And as young adults they should know that there are rules and regulations, and if the NCAA says you have to sit out a year then those are the rules.