Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

1 minute ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Sure. The reality might not catch up to the expectations or goals just yet, but I firmly believe a championship mindset should be established right from the jump. I don't think that should be something you ease into.

Again i don't disagree. But we haven't seen a single practice yet.  We don't know a single thing yet about how he is going to coach in college.  We don't know how he and the assistants will interact.  I want to be pleasantly surprised versus woefully disappointed because i set my expectations so high that its so very unlikely to happen.  Calling him King Woodson.  And claiming every recruit will fit perfectly in his scheme.  Or guaranteeing banners within years.  I personally can't get that excited yet.  I am getting more interested in seeing what happens.  But i not crowning any coach the next coming.  Just not my style any more.  I have been burned to much to jump in feet first.  I will wait and see.  Hope you all are right and i can join the bandwagon later.

15 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That is the million dollar question.  Will we go from a 12-15 to a 15-12, 17-10, etc.

Is the talent there and was a coaching issue.  Was it a talent issue alone?  Or was it a combination.

I really do hope we have the success everyone seen to want to predict already.  Allot of championship talk about there already and every recruit is a perfect fit for Coach Woodson's approach to basketball.  And we haven't yet seen a single practice let alone a game plan.  I am afraid putting this coaching staff that high up on a pedestal is going to cause allot of heartache if they can't live up to the Second Coming of Coach Knight mentality allot of people are having right now.

I do hope everyone is right.  I just can't jump on that wagon yet.  I plan to walk a little further down the path before getting excited about anything IU men's basketball.  But then again, I am a terrible fan who should go back to Peegs

No one can predict the future so I respect the caution. At the same time, we were close in a lot of those loses this year, as Trayce touched on in his press conference. The difference between 12-15 and 15-12 (or better) came down to a couple buckets here and some better execution there. That combined with the everything Woodson has done in one week has made me the most optimistic for IUBB I've been since 2012-13. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Again i don't disagree. But we haven't seen a single practice yet.  We don't know a single thing yet about how he is going to coach in college.  We don't know how he and the assistants will interact.  I want to be pleasantly surprised versus woefully disappointed because i set my expectations so high that its so very unlikely to happen.  Calling him King Woodson.  And claiming every recruit will fit perfectly in his scheme.  Or guaranteeing banners within years.  I personally can't get that excited yet.  I am getting more interested in seeing what happens.  But i not crowning any coach the next coming.  Just not my style any more.  I have been burned to much to jump in feet first.  I will wait and see.  Hope you all are right and i can join the bandwagon later.

Either get behind this or not. You're too late once you "test the waters" and decide that it isn't palatable. That's not fandom. That's second guessing. Get on board or get out of the way. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

I doubt many rivals are looking forward to battling this dude once Coach Woodson get his hands on him. Just wreaks of bada$$.

Screenshot_20210405-164023_Twitter.jpg

I guess Bloomington got closer to New Jersey but seriously it is good to see him come back.  I guess we won't have ad many spots to fill ad we thought we would.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HooASUier said:

No one can predict the future so I respect the caution. At the same time, we were close in a lot of those loses this year, as Trayce touched on in his press conference. The difference between 12-15 and 15-12 (or better) came down to a couple buckets here and some better execution there. That combined with the everything Woodson has done in one week has made me the most optimistic for IUBB I've been since 2012-13. 

I appreciate the caution. But at this point, the Coach Woodson hire conditional on all the information we have is looking better than a Stevens hire with the information we had a couple of weeks ago...

and we were not speaking that cautiously then. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

That is the million dollar question.  Will we go from a 12-15 to a 15-12, 17-10, etc.

Is the talent there and was a coaching issue.  Was it a talent issue alone?  Or was it a combination.

I really do hope we have the success everyone seen to want to predict already.  Allot of championship talk about there already and every recruit is a perfect fit for Coach Woodson's approach to basketball.  And we haven't yet seen a single practice let alone a game plan.  I am afraid putting this coaching staff that high up on a pedestal is going to cause allot of heartache if they can't live up to the Second Coming of Coach Knight mentality allot of people are having right now.

I do hope everyone is right.  I just can't jump on that wagon yet.  I plan to walk a little further down the path before getting excited about anything IU men's basketball.  But then again, I am a terrible fan who should go back to Peegs

My personal expectation is 0.500 or better year 1 and possibly making the NCAAT. As far as record, that's it. 

What I really want/expect to see is a team that plays hard. A team that looks like they're actually having fun and not unmotivated more times than not. A team that doesn't look lost on offense. A team that doesn't give up so many open 3 point shots on defense. Hopefully, a team that values every possession. 

I think if those things happen there is enough talent that the overall record will improve.

The real test will be to see how much improvement we see from the returning players. That will give some indication of what to expect in the years after.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, BEKA said:

Either get behind this or not. You're too late once you "test the waters" and decide that it isn't palatable. That's not fandom. That's second guessing. Get on board or get out of the way. 

Dang!  From the Scott school of thought!?  It's okay to be skeptical and critical and still be a fan.  I didn't like the hire, but feeling more wrong by the day.  I'm happy to admit it if this turns out great.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

This is how I felt after the Miller hire.  I kept jumping in on the previous coaches full force.  So I understand where you're coming from.  I'll save a seat for your on the bandwagon!

Edited by slojoe
spelling
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

My personal expectation is 0.500 or better year 1 and possibly making the NCAAT. As far as record, that's it. 

What I really want/expect to see is a team that plays hard. A team that looks like they're actually having fun and not unmotivated more times than not. A team that doesn't look lost on offense. A team that doesn't give up so many open 3 point shots on defense. Hopefully, a team that values every possession. 

I think if those things happen there is enough talent that the overall record will improve.

The real test will be to see how much improvement we see from the returning players. That will give some indication of what to expect in the years after.

I'm somewhere in between, but always say talent matters.  Let's see if Franklin and/or Thompson are back.  If both are back with the addition of Stewart and hopefully Brunk, I think we expect more than .500 or better.  Last year's team definitely underachieved to finish 12-15.  Were we uber talented?  No, but 15-12 should have been very attainable.  Now we bring the crew back more experienced and hopefully add Dumcomb, Brunk, Stewart.  If Woodson is an Xs and Os genius like so many are saying and his player development is going to be so much better, then???  Now add Johnson and/or Brooks?  Or does it go the other way?  Get neither of them and neither of Franklin/Thompson... okay, I'm happy with .500.  

• bluegrassIU changed the title to Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.