Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

More of a general question/comment about transfer portal. Did the NCAA ever think about the ramifications of granting everyone an extra year of eligibility and the chaos that would create? Here's my example. Good friend of mine has a son who plays college football. When they chose the school for him it was because depth chart at TE was 2 seniors meaning his son would wait his turn as a freshman (this year)knowing they would be gone and playing time would be there next year.

Now both seniors are going to return to get Masters and my friends kid will be using his 2nd year of eligibility next year mostly not playing again. They are looking into transferring now. Just curious what people think about extra year for everyone.

As in most cases, no. They don't think, they react.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

More of a general question/comment about transfer portal. Did the NCAA ever think about the ramifications of granting everyone an extra year of eligibility and the chaos that would create? Here's my example. Good friend of mine has a son who plays college football. When they chose the school for him it was because depth chart at TE was 2 seniors meaning his son would wait his turn as a freshman (this year)knowing they would be gone and playing time would be there next year.

Now both seniors are going to return to get Masters and my friends kid will be using his 2nd year of eligibility next year mostly not playing again. They are looking into transferring now. Just curious what people think about extra year for everyone.

I understand that kids problem. I also can't imagine this being your SR year, as well... and I think ultimately you do right by them first, and go from there. Competition isn't a bad thing, I encourage your friend's son to beat those SRs out and/or make an impact on SPT.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I understand that kids problem. I also can't imagine this being your SR year, as well... and I think ultimately you do right by them first, and go from there. Competition isn't a bad thing, I encourage your friend's son to beat those SRs out and/or make an impact on SPT.

That's the plan....and I'm with your line of thinking as well despite being my friends kid. Just a by product of all these extra years of eligibility being granted. I mean his phone is getting calls/texts daily from other schools saying hey I heard those 2 are coming back. We need someone at TE right away,etc......

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

They are supposed to be targeted ads based on each users own personal search history.  And that's all I'll say about that ;) 

I have been posting from my work computer, so not sure I would agree with that approach as I am still employed.

I am going to keep visiting your site to see what other ads pop up now. I am curious.

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

I would think that would be the main kicker.  I know leaving is leaving, but actively looking to join a direct competitor vs weighing your options on iu or nba is a big difference. I REALLY would love to see Arman back at iu next year!  But i would think a "💩  or get off the pot" discussion would be had sooner than later. 

its already happened and if guys don't decide there will be a replacement sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't think the NCAA ever thinks about what they are doing, most of what they do is reactive. If they did it wouldn't be the chaos it is for transfers right now.

I don't necessarily have a problem with the extra year because of the circumstances, but they really need to get a handle on everything next year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

We are trying to get players now to make us better and if they get here that might make some players have to make some decisions. Staff will not stop trying to make the team better

This is the approach I am all for. Give them their time to think. Once they have been given that time, you start looking elsewhere. Only so many spots so others committing will put pressure on some to decide what they want to do.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

We are trying to get players now to make us better and if they get here that might make some players have to make some decisions. Staff will not stop trying to make the team better

I like this. I think the kids should have a chance to reflect on the new hire and have discussions with Woody and the assistants as well as exploring their options (portal, NBA) and do what's best for them. It is a big decision and taking some time is fine and should be expected and encouraged. I'm hoping they figure out final assistant coach soon, as that might be the hold up as well for Franklin.

At the same time, Woody has a job to do and can only wait on the kids for so long before he has to put the team first and start filling in roster spots. It is a balancing act on both sides and hopefully it works out for all involved.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Here's the one from today, I think I would rather use the first ad.

image.png.f131e919ed62afd4cb60e8363efb6684.png

So I'm not IT person but most office computers are on an intranet so depending on where say the main headquarters/office is it may be sending data from there. ex I once worked for a company based out of Minneapolis and when I would use google to search for say mexican restaurants for lunch it would always pull restaurants in downtown Minnesota. Also if I visited a site but say didn't log in with my user profile yet it would show most recently searched items and it might be from someone else in the company. So perhaps because it is a work computer it is pulling data from other employees is what I'm saying.....or maybe I'm totally wrong. I know if its my phone even if I just have a conversation with my wife about say getting a bark collar for my dog and I haven't even searched for one I suddenly get suggestive ads for what I had a conversation about...not even what I've searched. CRAZY

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So I'm not IT person but most office computers are on an intranet so depending on where say the main headquarters/office is it may be sending data from there. ex I once worked for a company based out of Minneapolis and when I would use google to search for say mexican restaurants for lunch it would always pull restaurants in downtown Minnesota. Also if I visited a site but say didn't log in with my user profile yet it would show most recently searched items and it might be from someone else in the company. So perhaps because it is a work computer it is pulling data from other employees is what I'm saying.....or maybe I'm totally wrong. I know if its my phone even if I just have a conversation with my wife about say getting a bark collar for my dog and I haven't even searched for one I suddenly get suggestive ads for what I had a conversation about...not even what I've searched. CRAZY

Oh great. I think I may know which co-worker it could be.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Agreed. I'd also say if your sole reason for going to a team is just playing time then that might not be the best factor to base your decision on. I'm sure lots of factors go into why you chose a school. Hopefully academics are first and foremost even if you are on scholarship. Friends, coaching relationships, close to family/home perhaps. I know the kid wants to play but that is more in his hands....coaches will continue to recruit over you no matter who you are....they are always trying to upgrade and get the best player. You just have to become that player. I imagine even if the seniors left this kid would probably be in a battle for the spot regardless because that coach would have brought someone else in....so nothing is handed out. If that is the sole reason to transfer...he may constantly chase an opening that he will never find or may have to go somewhere much less desirable to obtain it.

I think there is no doubt that the coaching staff laid out there plans for the kids in the portal. Once it goes past a certain date you may or may not come back based on the need of the team. Now...given someone like I would say Armaan's ability I'm pretty sure if we have a scholarship left he would be welcomed back. Only thing is he may have a whole lot more competition at his position because past the given date we are going to move forward like don't expect anyone to return. Not sure what date that is....might be different for different kids. Might be after we have announced all 3 assistants. Might have been last weekend. Point is Mike knows...and the kids know. I'm not going to hate on anyone for exploring their options. I'm also not going to feel sorry for anyone if they recruited over. I also wouldn't be surprised if we land a couple kids from the portal that we might lose someone else later to the portal. Its a very fluid situation..and as such I'm not going to get too worried about it. Hopefully we have a couple more positions filled in the next few weeks but Mike may want to leave a spot open for a late signing or a late transfer given the unusual year we have. In the end I will role with who comes back. The rest I will wish them good luck....unless they go to a conference rival...in that case...you are actively trying to beat us and anyone trying to stop IU from returning to it's rightful thrown on top of the B1G must be destroyed......lol ok maybe I had a little too much caffiene this am.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Fife kind of left that impression with me on the talk with Dakich.  We are not begging players to come to Indiana or stay.  Sounds like we put out our pitch and now we are operating from the idea that we have so many spots and we are looking at these guys to fill them.  Eventually you will work yourself down to a "first to commit" type of situation.

• Like 2