Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

Maybe Franklin heard/read Doyel talking about him being a 10 year/$100 million dollar guy in the NBA and thought he had a better shot at being the guy at UVA. Probably thought it would help him if he got out of the physical, plodding Big 10 and into the beloved ACC.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

My team is on the floor so to speak.  No ill will, just not really invested in players who don't want to be here.  I think we have a coaching staff that is not here to f--- around.  Fife said it earlier this week, we aren't begging dudes to come play for Indiana.

Shout out to Leal, Galloway, Hunter, Phinisee, and Brunk for never being daunted.  Shout out to Stewart, Davis, Lander,  Geronimo, and Thompson for not faltering.

Welcome aboard Johnson.

Have a good life Arnold.

And Duncomb and Gunn, shoutout there too.

• Like 2

It does not make a lot of sense for Franklin to leave unless he saw Stewart as too much of a threat to playing time. And if so he should leave if he does not want to compete. I have always been in AF’s corner. My daughter actually started one of his fan pages. That being said. You are either with us or against us. I’m moving on with my team on the floor. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Maybe Franklin heard/read Doyel talking about him being a 10 year/$100 million dollar guy in the NBA and thought he had a better shot at being the guy at UVA. Probably thought it would help him if he got out of the physical, plodding Big 10 and into the beloved ACC.

Doyel is crazy with those numbers. He was the best guard on a bad team that didn’t finish the season in the tournament.  

Archie gave the poor kid Stockholm syndrome... Needed to get back to a trash offense and the packline defense, lol.  I’m not part of the classy “wishing him well” crowd.  Hope the move to UVA works out terribly for him, to be quite honest.

But this does suck... Losing Franklin just lowers the ceiling for next year.  He was going to be the only guard on the roster that could reliably create his own shot and shoot from deep.  Probably not going to be able to get a better all-around guard than him in the portal, but Mike Woodson needs to find another shooter.  That will be our Achilles heel again next year... Right now, Stewart, Hunter, and Leal are the only pure shooters on the roster.  Can’t really count on all of our subpar shooters (Lander, Phinisee, Johnson, Galloway) to magically turn into snipers just because they have a new coach.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Archie gave the poor kid Stockholm syndrome... Needed to get back to a trash offense and the packline defense, lol.  I’m not part of the classy “wishing him well” crowd.  Hope the move to UVA works out terribly for him, to be quite honest.

But this does suck... Losing Franklin just lowers the ceiling for next year.  He was going to be the only guard on the roster that could reliably create his own shot and shoot from deep.  Probably not going to be able to get a better all-around guard than him in the portal, but Mike Woodson needs to find another shooter.  That will be our Achilles heel again next year... Right now, Stewart, Hunter, and Leal are the only pure shooters on the roster.  Can’t really count on all of our subpar shooters (Lander, Phinisee, Johnson, Galloway) to magically turn into snipers just because they have a new coach.

Yeah not sure how going to UVA improves his long-term career prospects. They win a lot of games but they aren't a hotbed of NBA development.

I'd like to think our offense next year will move faster and make everyone better. So maybe even the guys who are not able to be snipers can still make an impact.

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So at this point, we've essentially traded 

Al and Armaan 

for 

Parker and Xavier 

Opinions on how we came out?

A lot of posts are focusing on the "touchy feely" aspect of Franklin's transfer, nothing wrong with that, but the only aspect I care about is going to occur on the court next season.

Franklin is a good shooter, showed improvement during his time at Indiana, and will likely continue his upward trajectory next season too.  He might have a career in the NBA.  One question though, did he make the players around him better or at least help set them up for success?

It remains to be seen if Xavier will be a more productive player, or if his style of play will help his teammates deliver better results, but there are three elements of his game that give me reason to believe he might.

1) Relentlessly downhill attacking guards tire out the defense.  They also force help defense, which creates mismatches and in some cases a defensive breakdown leaving a shooter wide open.  They also have a higher likelihood of generating foul trouble for the opposition.

2) The combination of pressure defense, quickness, and disrupting passing lanes (all of which I've seen in videos of Xavier), takes the opponent out of their offense flow and creates a higher rate of turnovers.  It also wears down the opposition both mentally and physically.  Granted it will tire out Xavier too, so conditioning comes into play.

3) Penetration typically pulls in the defense and leads to a more open shot for a perimeter player.  Especially when combined with pick, whether on the initial kick out or a secondary pass.  It's a prime factor in "turning" a 30% 3PT shooter into a +36% 3PT shooter.

I'm not suggesting Franklin was incapable of doing the things described above but it seems like Xavier's game is more tailored for these aspects of the game.  If this is true, then there's a good chance the players around him will benefit from his presence and translate into tangible results.  If this is Xavier's contribution then I think he will be more valuable than Franklin would have been... if we define and measure "more valuable" by winning basketball games.

Or I could be completely wrong and don't know what the heck I'm talking about. 

• Like 5

I’ve really enjoyed watching AF develop - it was one of too few bright spots in the past couple of years, and I thought we were looking at an Oladipo situation where a mostly unheralded kid completely blows up in the program, so this one is a real bummer to me. But, yah, this is one year with the transfer situation where that loss can be replaced almost immediately, so intrigued to see how those open schollys get filled. 

• Like 3

I hate losing Franklin , for what ever reason he wasn’t happy at IU. I can’t find any reason for him to leave other then he was afraid of losing playing time.

Franklin was the best guard on a very bad team! I think the addition of Johnson and Stewart will more then off set Franklin and Durham leaving. I see all the names in the Transfer Portal I don’t know who we can get realistically. I would think we will pick up a couple more and hopefully they will be better then Franklin. 

I would rather see Franklin transfer then to see him stay and be unhappy. That can lead to more problems for the team. So good luck to him, see ya! 

• Like 2

i think it is a shame because we were clearly a terrible shooting team and he was our best 3 point shooter.  at this point, a lineup of Johnson, Franklin, Stewart, Thompson or Hunter, TJD would seem a solid upgrade over last season.  not to mention better depth with Brunk and maybe even Duncomb making sure Thompson and Hunter don't have to play out of position.  that said, all of that is still true other than Franklin, but i do think that's a fairly big deal.  i guess i would think Hunter would slide into that position.  shooting doesn't seem greatly improved though when you think about Franklin shooting a better 3 point % than Stewart and Johnson not shooting the 3 at a high %.  

• Like 1

I'll say this for those who are saying that players should be loyal to a school - I'm sure you're aware that players would come to play for RMK first, and IU second, who specifically wanted to play for RMK. Not really fair to bash a kid for leaving when you've just fired what may have been his primary reason for choosing IU. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He was going to be the only guard on the roster that could reliably create his own shot and shoot from deep.  .....

I'd certainly liked for him to return but having watched several highlight videos of X. Johnson, AF would have been a distant second on that count.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I'd certainly liked for him to return but having watched several highlight videos of X. Johnson, AF would have been a distant second on that count.  

i have not watched Johnson, but aren't they much different players?  seems like they would have been very good compliments.  

15 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i have not watched Johnson, but aren't they much different players?  seems like they would have been very good compliments.  

They would have been very good complimentary players, but I think he was just saying Johnson is better at creating his own shot. Which at least appears to be true based on highlights.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

They would have been very good complimentary players, but I think he was just saying Johnson is better at creating his own shot. Which at least appears to be true based on highlights.

That could also be because of the offense X ran vs what we ran last year with AF.  Who really know.  Completely different coaching styles from all 3 coaches.  Tough to lose AF but from the moment that CAM was fired, AF didn't seem to be connected to IU any longer.   So i agree he was probably connected to the coach over the school.  Tough loss since he seemed to be the kind of kid who would work his tail off each year to get better.  And he will be better this year and honestly Bennet should make him even better than what he could do on his own or under CAM

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

My point was that Franklin was going to be the only guard that could reliably create his own shot AND reliably shoot from deep.  Johnson can definitely create his own shot and looks to be a more explosive scorer, but he’s never shot the three as well as Franklin did last season, and his percentages have frankly been pretty bad the last two seasons.  It’s the three point shooting I’m concerned about now — losing Franklin is a big hit in that regard.

• Like 3