Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

11 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Can we get a shooter please? Somebody? Anybody interested? Have to be willing to shoot a lot and play a lot! If too many shots or too much playing time is not what you’re looking for, there’s a little room for negotiation. 

I'm sure some of this is tongue in cheek...

That said, I think we have some decent shooters (and potentially good ones too). They just need to be coached properly and relentlessly. 

During one of our many losses at the end of the year, I recall Coach Miller stating how he would have his team/staff focus on shooting, and all I could think of while reading that quote was "..........Now?!?!?!??!??!?!?!"

So happy to hear CMW address that specifically in his welcome presser.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

What?  I'm trying to figure out the board's new obsession with UC, the job, and now recruits in the portal that averaged 3 points a game and is likely heading to BYU.  

A kid from Indy in the portal.  No more, no less.  I guess I should have checked with you before I posted it.  Get your thoughts on it first.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I'm sure some of this is tongue in cheek...

That said, I think we have some decent shooters (and potentially good ones too). They just need to be coached properly and relentlessly. 

During one of our many losses at the end of the year, I recall Coach Miller stating how he would have his team/staff focus on shooting, and all I could think of while reading that quote was "..........Now?!?!?!??!??!?!?!"

So happy to hear CMW address that specifically in his welcome presser.

I’m hoping Stewart is a really good shooter, and I know Leal can shoot it at a high clip. Hunter had some moments, but I don’t trust him in other facets of the game. Really think we need an elite shooter that really knows how to play the game.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m hoping Stewart is a really good shooter, and I know Leal can shoot it at a high clip. Hunter had some moments, but I don’t trust him in other facets of the game. Really think we need an elite shooter that really knows how to play the game.

Luke Brown is in the portal already?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I'm genuinely excited to see what Coach Woodson and Co. uncover with the team. Meaning, what aspects of the players' games were being uncultivated and neglected?? I think we can all agree that the previous head coach didn't maximize or develop the talent on his roster in an adequate way.

Of course its naive to think every single player will completely blossom into the absolute best version of themselves in CMW's first season, but I am very intrigued by what "unknown/unloved" skills our players have that will be given the light and soil to grow.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, rico said:

A kid from Indy in the portal.  No more, no less.  I guess I should have checked with you before I posted it.  Get your thoughts on it first.

I read the article twice wondering if I missed an Indiana mention.  The state is stocked full of ballers.  I have never heard of him, or at least don't remember hearing the name.  Wonder what he will become in 2 more years.  

11 hours ago, Between2Halls said:

Saw something on Twitter about contact or interest in Matt Bradley from Cal. Anyone have any info on that? Seems like he would be a nice addition. 

No clue if we’ve contacted him.

I haven’t been able to find anything about anyone recruiting him.

I love his game. He’s my #1 want in the portal. We land him.. we could be VERY good next year.

I believe Nebraska may have recruited him out of high school when Kenya Hunter was on staff there. Hoping that’s true and there’s a connection there. 🤞

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, KDB said:

No clue if we’ve contacted him.

I haven’t been able to find anything about anyone recruiting him.

I love his game. He’s my #1 want in the portal. We land him.. we could be VERY good next year.

I believe Nebraska may have recruited him out of high school when Kenya Hunter was on staff there. Hoping that’s true and there’s a connection there. 🤞

Thanks. I couldn’t find any info about who might be on him, and that surprised me for sure. 

38 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I saw Mac McClung from Texas Tech is entering the portal, but is going to test the NBA waters. Shooting Guard that is second team all Big 12. Probably a long shot, but that sure would be a nice pick up. 

We should be able to offer him as much as anyone. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

This is why guys like ol Roy are hanging it up. The rapidly changing landscape of college basketball where kids have as much power as these legendary coaches is going to turn the game upside down. I think we will see some other older HOF coaches probably hang it up in the near future too. What's going to be the point of molding and cultivating young talent when you will never get the benefit of seeing them reach their potential. You bring them along slowly (like Roy liked to do with freshman) and you start to fill in the gaps of their game and by the time they are ready to really contribute they transfer out to be the star somewhere else. These kids will demand immediate minutes early and be the focal point of the offense and it won't matter if it hurts your team you will do it or lose them. There is going to be some that will play the transfer portal thing and see if they can be successful but if you see teams like Duke struggle again next year and the next....K will be the next to go. Unless you have immediate impact talent like Suggs or Cunningham it just won't be worth it to bring in top 10 guys and try to develop them. Maybe this will help Indiana...hard to say...just depends on how we manage it. Going to be some interesting days ahead for sure...and probably a changing of the guard at the top.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We should be able to offer him as much as anyone. 

Kid is bad defender and has never saw a shot he didn't like. For a team that lacks talent I can see him working out but I think he would not fit in with this team. It's pretty tight knit group of guys...not sure a me first guy would fit in.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Kid is bad defender and has never saw a shot he didn't like. For a team that lacks talent I can see him working out but I think he would not fit in with this team. It's pretty tight knit group of guys...not sure a me first guy would fit in.

Scoring the ball takes priority. We are a team that lacks talent lol 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Does the University bring recruits in on private jets?  Are official visits even permitted?  Do you know something about this particular flight or just totally spit balling?

Official visits aren't permitted right now. Kids can visit the university on there own but they can't have contact with the coaching staff.