Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

100%. And the thing is, if you're smaller and quicker, while you may have some disadvantage on defense because of that, it also gives you an advantage in terms of how you can pressure, help and recover, etc.  

Yes. This is how we (teams I played on, played) growing up.  Switch everything, and just make it h*** on the other team with pressure and awareness. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

I think going into a year.. if you have Hunter, Race, RP, and ?? off your bench... I think you like where you're at. 

Curious lack of any mention of Geronimo in the forward discussion here (not singling out you specifically)... He should be the ideal 4 off the bench next year, with starter potential down the road.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well I don't think this is our final roster but if it is I see your point. 

That said, won't other teams have trouble guarding us? Why do we have to adjust to them instead of making them adjust to what we are doing?

Agreed, and I'd also like to see the ability to show different looks and change things up (and no, I'm not talking about switching from zone to man in the middle of a possession), and the makeup of this team could allow for a lot of that, depending on who they add if/when they do. Go big, small, slow, fast, whatever. Like you said, make teams match up with us, and have the ability to change that up if they manage to succeed at stopping it. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

ehh.. I don't think so. Sure people were speculating and excited. I think as fans we always have a "dream team." Nothing they did was abnormal. 

Could’ve been the other site, I really don’t remember, but I do remember some getting pissy with me because they thought it was a real possibility. They were giving credit to the Twitter  guy, who started the rumor.

Edited by Bowhunter

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Need to develop an attitude where we have leaders who get pissed off when an opponent starts to go off. 

We haven't had that for some time.

This has been one of IU biggest downfalls the last couple of years, someone that has an attitude and gets pissed off and goes right back at the other team. Hopefully we can start to develop that next season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i know the game has changed so much, but if Race doesn't start alongside TJD, at this point our 2nd tallest starter would be 6'7.''  i guess Race is only listed an inch shorter than TJD, but wouldn't we be awful small if Race is our backup 5 and Hunter is our 4 and when he goes out???  i guess that's just the new style of play, but will we have trouble guarding bigger teams?

We have Geronimo who can easily play the 4 with Hunter and Race. With Trayce staying (something I would have never guessed going into last year) and Duncomb coming in to provide back up minutes at the 5 along with Race I don't think we have to have another big. I'd love it if we did. Personally I'd like to redshirt Duncomb like we did Race and give him more time to fill out and develop. I'd love to have a long athletic stretch 4 similar in athleticism to Trayce but can step out and shoot....but those are rare in the portal. Basically our front court is the same as last year except will be a year older, stronger, better. We didn't have Brunk last year and I hardly felt our front court was a reason we lost games. I feel really good where we are moving forward. I would love to add one more wing shooter...a guard/forward combo that can really shoot the 3 ball but I'm not overly worried. We have to look for Galloway and Leal and Geronimo to get better. Have to think Hunter will feel much more confident in this new system. We will have a 5 guard rotation as is Johnson/Lander/Phinisee/Stewart/Leal  with front court of Galloway/Geronimo/Hunter/Thompson/TJD/Duncomb. That's a pretty deep team (11 guys). Anyone I think you bring in...you probably lose someone because the minutes won't be there. So even if we land someone I'd expect a transfer out in return.

32 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

100%. And the thing is, if you're smaller and quicker, while you may have some disadvantage on defense because of that, it also gives you an advantage in terms of how you can pressure, help and recover, etc.  

Agreed. I'd much much much rather switch ball screens basically 1-4 and have one post defender (as long as he is a rim protector) then have multiple bigs on the floor that can defend down low but can't switch all ball and off screens. Switching is the key to a good man to man defense in todays game. Besides...who projects to have a dominant low post team or projects to be bigger than us. Purdue???? Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, maybe Michigan are all losing their dominant bigs. I think we held our own last year and would be just fine this year. Much more worried about our backcourt then front court.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Indykev said:

https://www.ourdailybears.com/2020/11/17/21571892/tristan-clark-medically-retires-baylor-bears-basketbal

Was First team All Big 12 and Baylor's best player when he got hurt and retired. I wonder what he recovered to while sitting out. 6'9 pf. Entered the portal.

I hate you. I was reading this and thinking "I don't remember typing this".  😠

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Maybe this is wrong but once they bail out on Indiana I could care less what they do or why they made the decision they did. It's kind of like having an ex-wife. I don't want anything bad to happen to them but I also wouldn't give them the time of day or ever root for them. 

You'll change your tune after ex-wife number 8 or 9, or so 5fouls says. :coffee:

• Like 1

College basketball is running rampant with excessive transferring and players having unrealistic professional aspirations. Earlier this week, West Virginia men’s basketball coach Bob Huggins had a lot to say about these topics, “You don’t know who is coming and who is staying. It is hard right now to be able to say what your definite roster is because you don’t know. We’ve got four guys that are looking at the draft. You don’t know where that ends up. You don’t know how many slimy creatures that are called agents are slithering around and promising the world and not being able to deliver anything.”

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

In the end it was pretty much what some speculated here: Basically said he liked a slow-methodical system. Does not have to learn a new defense. He did well under the system with Archie and UVA does it better.

.......bottom line, "the unknown" vs. proven/successful/familiarity

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Maybe this is wrong but once they bail out on Indiana I could care less what they do or why they made the decision they did. It's kind of like having an ex-wife. I don't want anything bad to happen to them but I also wouldn't give them the time of day or ever root for them. 

.....Exact feelings Jeff! Once they "break-up", I'm done, it's time to move on. Without sounding cruel and harsh, to be honest, "they're dead to me." Next....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

You're definitely not alone. I have rather a strict definition of Indiana Hoosiers; Hoosiers are the ones who have finished their careers in Candy Stripes. With that said, I'm not sure if a graduate transfer should be considered a Hoosier after playing one season and finishing his career. That would be up for discussion.