Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

12 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Trying to follow along...is this the Mangas kid from IWU? If so, is there talk he might end up at IU?!

He’s from IWU and was the NAIA Player of the Year who can get buckets. He grew up an IU fan and the speculation is if he were to get an offer he may take it instead of going pro overseas. I don’t think IU has offered him but he is on their radar. This is all 3rd (maybe 4th) hand speculation. 

22 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

He’s from IWU and was the NAIA Player of the Year who can get buckets. He grew up an IU fan and the speculation is if he were to get an offer he may take it instead of going pro overseas. I don’t think IU has offered him but he is on their radar. This is all 3rd (maybe 4th) hand speculation. 

I think a couple people that have suggested this are a lot closer to the situation than some may think.  I trust when they say he will play at IU or overseas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Looking at IWU's stats. This should embarrass most major college players and coaches. As a team, IWU shoots 80% from FT line. Among the six players who started games for them, the worst FT shooter is 79%.

https://iwuwildcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2020

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Looking at IWU's stats. This should embarrass most major college players and coaches. As a team, IWU shoots 80% from FT line. Among the six players who started games for them, the worst FT shooter is 79%.

https://iwuwildcats.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2020

but.. without those kids' shooting abilities, they aren't playing college basketball, at all. Plenty of those kids don't get those shots off at the D1 level. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

but.. without those kids' shooting abilities, they aren't playing college basketball, at all. Plenty of those kids don't get those shots off at the D1 level. 

Yet at the free throw line...no one is guarding you...so no excuse for the D1 athletes lol. It's literally the only time its an apples to apples comparison lol.

Gotta think a few of those kids are there because of their athleticism....many are pretty athletic but super super raw too. Like only a couple years of organized ball. Gotta credit coaching imo too.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

So do we have a legit shot at Bates?

Going solely on a gut feeling I believe that we do. I could genuinely see it happening. 

"We are looking for adults that we can trust to be more concerned with Tamar’s continued character development rather his basketball skill development," Bates' father Tyrone told TheHoosier.com. "Opportunity to be able to compete for significant minutes that allow him to play right away."

And Jerry Meyer says this:

His recruitment is still much in flux. Shaka Smart, who had signed Bates at Texas, is in a scholarship bind at Marquette. I have heard Oklahoma State and Missouri floating around. But again, I get the feeling that his recruitment is a good distance from settled.

Edited by Between2Halls
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, rico said:

This pretty much sums it up.  FWIW, I played HS ball against his father.

https://timesuniononline.com/Content/Local-News/Sports/Article/Mangas-Hopes-To-Continue-Stellar-Career/2/226/132157

He mentions Nic Moore from Warsaw who has made it playing in Europe. Moore played for Larry Brown at SMU.

Nothing against a finance degree from IWU, but if he played ball at IU and added an MBA, the sky’s the limit

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He mentions Nic Moore from Warsaw who has made it playing in Europe. Moore played for Larry Brown at SMU.

Nothing against a finance degree from IWU, but if he played ball at IU and added an MBA, the sky’s the limit

Actually Moore started at Illinois St. and followed Tim Jankovich to SMU.

As far as Mangas, I have no idea what his aspirations are for life after basketball.  But all accounts from my Warsaw contacts are that he is a stand up young man.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, rico said:

Actually Moore started at Illinois St. and followed Tim Jankovich to SMU.

As far as Mangas, I have no idea what his aspirations are for life after basketball.  But all accounts from my Warsaw contacts are that he is a stand up young man.

Yeah, Moore followed Jankovich (assistant) saying he didn’t really care who the head coach was. But he said this about Brown, "He [Brown] showed me the ropes of the game," Moore said. "I thought I knew it, but he slowed my game down and made me think like a point guard and how to be a leader.”

Just bringing up a connection there.

• Like 2

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, Moore followed Jankovich (assistant) saying he didn’t really care who the head coach was. But he said this about Brown, "He [Brown] showed me the ropes of the game," Moore said. "I thought I knew it, but he slowed my game down and made me think like a point guard and how to be a leader.”

Just bringing up a connection there.

TY, and Moore was another Warsaw kid that could have played at IU.  The hell with that height thing.

• Like 1