Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

9 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Now back to the 22 recruiting trail. 🤙🏻

Something tells me we aren't done with 21 yet. I know we don't like to speculate but that's what message boards are for.....but with all of these players coming in I feel like someone is hitting the road. Just not sure who. I really don't want anyone to leave because I like this roster so much but odds are someone will.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I will be in Hilton Head in August.  Was supposed to go last year but got cancelled.  Also I will put it here but I finally found a job and I start on May 3rd.  I will be a courier for Quest Diagnostics on Indy.

Congrats! I've always thought that would a cool gig. No pressure, no body else to deal with, just you, your music, and sports radio....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Congrats! I've always thought that would a cool gig. No pressure, no body else to deal with, just you, your music, and sports radio....

The only problem is that my shift is Wed-Sunday and 2:30-10:30 so I will have to record most of the IU and Colts games

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

@go_iu_bb started a conversation that probably fits here more so to keep that from derailing here it is.   

I was wondering if there is a site that shows when a kid entered the portal.  The closest thing I have found is 247Sports Transfer Portal twitter feed.  https://mobile.twitter.com/247sportsportal

Selection Sunday was march 15th.  It took me 5 minutes of scrolling down to make it to Feb 28th.  Good players such as Matt Cross were in the portal a while and he committed to Louisville Feb 25.  Travis Branham tweeted on that same date that more than 200 players were already in the portal, including our new point guard.  

Back to the point of quality transfers available year round.  I scrolled to the beginning of 247 Sports transfer portal thread.  They started that twitter Feb 2nd.  I couldn't find a transfer portal list that included when a player entered the portal without clicking on the individual's 247 sports profile and looking at their personal timeline.  

Anyways.  It appears Woodson believes in a full roster and using all scholarships.  

Situations like Matt Cross will be the exceptions, I think. I remember his exact circumstances but I do recall that he went from big minutes to benched with little to no PT or suspended or something like that. So it seems like he got in trouble or had a falling out with the staff and/or his team. 

As for the others, this year was an odd one. I just don't think we'll continue to see players leave in the middle of the year.

The way it was before, the sooner they left the sooner they could play again. That was the incentive to leave at the end of the fall semester, for example. That's no longer the case.

Now they can leave in November or wait until March and either way they'll be able to play with their new team for the whole next season. So not only is there no incentive to leave early, they'd lose playing time they could've had at their current team.

Like I said, I could be wrong as people don't always do what makes sense. I just think that 99% of the players will enter the portal in March and April most years.

I will say that next year might be another odd one since the large majority of the incoming freshmen didn't get to make visits and meet their future coaching staff and teammates in person. So their might be some players who are so unhappy that they'd rather not play at a new school for 1/2 the season rather than stay.

7 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Hopefully they sign Braden Smith for 22 now!

We are actually over signed by 1 for next year already. Guess it goes without saying we will lose a lot after this year but we can't bring back everyone even if they want to come. I would be surprised we see too many 22 signings to put us additionally over the cap unless that player adds a whole lot to our team. We will still offer top 4/5 star guys and gladly work the scholarships out...but to add borderline kids...can't imagine that will happen. Especially given Yasir's connections to a lot of top young pgs that might be in the portal next year and will be coming out.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just sincerely hope that some of our freshmen from last year aren't collateral damage in all this shuffling...

I don't want it to happen either but from the looks of things I find it unlikely everyone on the roster right now we'll be back next year. Hopefully it doesn't happen....but on paper I can see it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't want it to happen either but from the looks of things I find it unlikely everyone on the roster right now we'll be back next year. Hopefully it doesn't happen....but on paper I can see it. 

I haven't had the privilege of meeting Coach Woodson, but from all accounts he is a genuine, straight shooter. When he talked with the players returning, it seems very plausible that he spoke honestly with them about their roles and his intentions regarding filling in the roster.

My hope is that he has instilled a desire in everyone to compete for minutes based on merit and hard work. Playing time is, and will be, an opportunity all players can seize through practice/competition. 

Edited by MoyeCowbell
  • Like 3

• bluegrassIU changed the title to Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.