Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I wonder what percentage of posters in this thread (myself included) know how to A-D-D. 

If 3 Purdue cheerleaders were standing in a field at 8 o'clock and they were joined by 7 other Purdue cheerleaders at 9 o'clock, and 4 more entered the field at 10 o'clock, what do you have?

1) A herd

2) Piles of dung

3) Foul odor 

4) All of the above

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Ok folks. Been fun, but I think it's time to get this thread back on topic. Especially with rumors our roster is still not set.

Looking at the major media outlets, we really aren't getting a bunch of rave reviews for our transfer portal signees.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I wonder what percentage of posters in this thread (myself included) know how to A-D-D. 

This isn’t rupp rafters...although to be fair Purdue doesn’t know how to count how many championships they have and we’ve been stuck unable to count past one hand for over 35 years so there is that.

4 hours ago, slojoe said:

So is a team supposed to just recruit players who are only the same or worse than the ones they already have?

i know this was a big topic with Crean.  i just don't see the problem.  it is big business.  coaches gotta win.  scholarships are worth a lot of money.  i you can get someone who makes you better and it squeezes another kid out, so be it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rico said:

I don't like "recruiting over" players.  

Its called getting better, players get "recruited over" every year because they don't improve.. But at this point the staff has talked to all the players into staying and i'm sure they said look we are going to bring in players. I hope we ride with who we have but if the staff or a players thinks other wise so be it. It will be for the best for this team.

2 hours ago, Indykev said:

Its called getting better, players get "recruited over" every year because they don't improve.. But at this point the staff has talked to all the players into staying and i'm sure they said look we are going to bring in players. I hope we ride with who we have but if the staff or a players thinks other wise so be it. It will be for the best for this team.

I agree. Part of that gray area (kind of) that we want IU to operate in. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, NY hoosier said:

If one or two our players took a redshirt would that solve an issue

No.  Redshirts are counted against the scholarship limits.  A player could give up a scholarship and play as a walk-on.  But, that would be rather unusual.  

Edited by 5fouls

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If this would happen this offseason, then I think it's even more unfair.  The players haven't even had the opportunity to show improvement to this coaching staff.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm okay with trying to recruit the best players possible when there are open schollies.  If that means a starter from last season doesn't start next season, so be it. 

My point is that the program has 13 scholarships to use.  All 13 have been awarded.  Is it good to take that away from a kid that committed to IU straight out of high school and stuck with it through a coaching change.  Keion Brooks had a chance to commit to IU out of high school ad didn't/  He also had the same free agency opportunity that Xavier Johnson and Miller Kopp did after Woodson was hired.  And, he didn't make the move when the spot was available.  Neither he, nor any other player, who had those opportunities should take a scholly from someone who previously made that commitment,

While I'm not sure why there are pages of debate and hand-wringing over something that hasn't happened and probably won't happen, I tend to agree with your take.  I think a contributing factor to Archie's recruiting problems was that he held scholarships open indefinitely for guys like Brooks and Kaufman and let both of them him-haw around until we couldn't get anybody else. and then, of course, they went somewhere else.  Fife hinted at this in his media availability, but if kids want to play basketball for this prestigious program, they need to make a decision about their scholarship offer while it is available.  If not, then we move on, get somebody else, and win without them.  So until somebody voluntarily leaves, which certainly may happen, my opinion is the roster is full and the kids who passed on their offers are out of luck.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

If this would happen this offseason, then I think it's even more unfair.  The players haven't even had the opportunity to show improvement to this coaching staff.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm okay with trying to recruit the best players possible when there are open schollies.  If that means a starter from last season doesn't start next season, so be it. 

My point is that the program has 13 scholarships to use.  All 13 have been awarded.  Is it good to take that away from a kid that committed to IU straight out of high school and stuck with it through a coaching change.  Keion Brooks had a chance to commit to IU out of high school ad didn't/  He also had the same free agency opportunity that Xavier Johnson and Miller Kopp did after Woodson was hired.  And, he didn't make the move when the spot was available.  Neither he, nor any other player, who had those opportunities should take a scholly from someone who previously made that commitment,

I agree with this as well. I dont want anyone to go to make room for Brooks. I'm good with what we have. This team will do some damage. After this season Its wide open. No more caring the Tim Prillers of the world, dead weight.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Sounds like Woody is not content.  Man was brought here to do a job, and hard decisions are going to be made. Some of which, people may not agree with at first.  I would be happy with the current roster as is, but I also realize there are a few players that just aren't good enough

giphy.gif

• Haha 2