Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

14 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

The transfer portal will be to inconsistent to build a whole team with. 

Like one year no guards will transfer?  Im not trying to be a smart a but why are you digging in on this?  Boheim was on DD back in April and he said a team will likely catapult into the top 5 because of the portal.  And if you want to keep your job you better be paying attention to it.  

If Cal or Jim was able to get 3 or 4 of the top transfers each year you would easily have a top 15 team.  This is not an outlandish statement.  The question is, who is this?  Does this coach have the recruiting chops to bring some of the best transfers each year again and again?  If you are penn st and you cant pull top 75 guys anyways, a top 20 transfer is a hell of a stronger and more experienced player than a guy ranked 235.  How is that not an accurate statement?

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I agree most coaches wont be able to pull this off.  

However someone like Cal could.  They have a billboard up somewhere that shows a running total of all the money Kentucky guys have made.  

Some kid scoring 25 a game in the patriot league can easily be convinced he could be a pro with one year of exposure at Kentucky.  I can think of a handful of coaches that could pull this off.  

I've been waiting for that rule change that is going to allow high school kids to go directly to the nba.   The timeline is being set up for Bronny, if he materializes as good enough.  

I did check out the top 100 for 22.  Texas was listed on a few of them so it's not Beard.  I was shocked that guys even in the 50s have already declared as pro.  There are about 10 in the top 100 already declared pro.  

Cal is one of those that perhaps could pull it off...a very special case given his unique way he has positioned himself as an NBA first guy. That said he would not pigeon hole himself to only this one avenue. Heck he isn't just only taking OAD kids...he has become much more flexible with his recruiting. He is even using the portal the same way he does his HS recruiting...but he is smart enough to know you want to cast a wide net and not limit your options. I will say this...it's a very interesting topic for sure! And I'd love to know who this coach supposedly is to follow how this goes...but something tells me he won't stick to this exclusively so that is why he just made the comment and doesn't want to be accountable to it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Lets try this again, he isn't going to use any high schoolers, he is going to basically have a new team every season. I guess I should edit saying top players since that is what you are focusing on. Also I am curious were all of Baylors players transfers? Since we are talking about building a team with only transfers.

I'll copy this since it is spot on.

I hit this question in my latest post.  First post on this page.  Penn st cant get top 75 kids anyways.  Penn st would be smart to grab 2 or 3 nice transfers with experience and maturity.  Their ceiling may not be championships but the floor just got higher.  

Why would you need a new team every year?  Transfers can have 1, 2, or 3 years of eligibility.  

Im not denying it would be a management headache and this is not a new conversation.  A coach was quoted around the tournament saying they are more likely in the future to look at the portal to plug holes because these are grown men, experienced, mature.  

Exhibit A.  Has coach Woodson offered anyone outside of the top 50?  There is no longer a point in tying up a scholarship on someone that isn't going to compete for playing time.  They can go to Indiana st for a year or 2 and transfer over as a grown man.

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Like one year no guards will transfer?  Im not trying to be a smart a but why are you digging in on this?  Boheim was on DD back in April and he said a team will likely catapult into the top 5 because of the portal.  And if you want to keep your job you better be paying attention to it.  

If Cal or Jim was able to get 3 or 4 of the top transfers each year you would easily have a top 15 team.  This is not an outlandish statement.  The question is, who is this?  Does this coach have the recruiting chops to bring some of the best transfers each year again and again?  If you are penn st and you cant pull top 75 guys anyways, a top 20 transfer is a hell of a stronger and more experienced player than a guy ranked 235.  How is that not an accurate statement?

I promise I'll let this go...but Penn St isn't already a top 40 program first of all. Fran said top 40. If Penn St said they wanted to do this I would be fine and say it might be a smart thing. It's a program that rarely makes the NCAA tournament. If you wants to use this to get veteran guys to be a program that could consistently have a shot at the tournament it could work...but again....look at the top 40 on the previous page I listed. That is primarily made up of the who's who of college basketball with a few exceptions of some mid majors that had a good year and some power 6 teams like ourself that had a bad one. But I don't see any of those programs not able to get top HS talent. They all are pulling top 75 talent for the most part except the mid major teams. Maybe not every year but every few years. Your not going to give up on developing your own talent to take only guys in the portal. The thing is...the best guys in the portal still go to typically the best teams anyways. Your just not going to get a Penn St suddenly landing 3-4 top 10 guys in the portal every year. The talent in the portal get's spread out through out college basketball with the top kids still choosing the traditional power programs. The portal is mostly just another reflection of HS recruiting. Maybe someone will try this...but I wish they would put their name to it so we can tell how well it goes or how quickly they change their mind.

Edited by dgambill

8 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If Cal or Jim was able to get 3 or 4 of the top transfers each year you would easily have a top 15 team. 

This year probably had the highest amount of transfers that we will see and did they get them this year? I haven't kept up much on either of them so I don't know. I don't think either one of their teams are supposed to be anything great this season.

11 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Or more like one season you will have a lot of transfers because of unusual circumstances and the next season you might not get as many good players leaving their teams.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Cal is one of those that perhaps could pull it off...a very special case given his unique way he has positioned himself as an NBA first guy. That said he would not pigeon hole himself to only this one avenue. Heck he isn't just only taking OAD kids...he has become much more flexible with his recruiting. He is even using the portal the same way he does his HS recruiting...but he is smart enough to know you want to cast a wide net and not limit your options. I will say this...it's a very interesting topic for sure! And I'd love to know who this coach supposedly is to follow how this goes...but something tells me he won't stick to this exclusively so that is why he just made the comment and doesn't want to be accountable to it.

I think you are dead on here   

• Like 1

Could be...

Musselman restocking Arkansas roster again

It should come as no surprise that Arkansas coach Eric Musselman is working the transfer market. He built a perennial winner at Nevada by relying on transfers and just led the Razorbacks to their first Sweet 16 since 1996 by doing the same in the SEC.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Could be...

Musselman restocking Arkansas roster again

It should come as no surprise that Arkansas coach Eric Musselman is working the transfer market. He built a perennial winner at Nevada by relying on transfers and just led the Razorbacks to their first Sweet 16 since 1996 by doing the same in the SEC.

Hmm...you may have one there. Let's watch him and recruiting...but he already has 31 offers out in 22 lol.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I promise I'll let this go...but Penn St isn't already a top 40 program first of all. Fran said top 40. If Penn St said they wanted to do this I would be fine and say it might be a smart thing. It's a program that rarely makes the NCAA tournament. If you wants to use this to get veteran guys to be a program that could consistently have a shot at the tournament it could work...but again....look at the top 40 on the previous page I listed. That is primarily made up of the who's who of college basketball with a few exceptions of some mid majors that had a good year and some power 6 teams like ourself that had a bad one. But I don't see any of those programs not able to get top HS talent. They all are pulling top 75 talent for the most part except the mid major teams. Maybe not every year but every few years. Your not going to give up on developing your own talent to take only guys in the portal. The thing is...the best guys in the portal still go to typically the best teams anyways. Your just not going to get a Penn St suddenly landing 3-4 top 10 guys in the portal every year. The talent in the portal get's spread out through out college basketball with the top kids still choosing the traditional power programs. The portal is mostly just another reflection of HS recruiting. Maybe someone will try this...but I wish they would put their name to it so we can tell how well it goes or how quickly they change their mind.

I got confused when Southern cal was 6 and colorado was like 11.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I got confused when Southern cal was 6 and colorado was like 11.  

Last year was pretty weird year lol....not one I particularly want to remember anyways....let's just agree to forget it.....poor IU.

Edited by dgambill
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

You're talking about primarily dealing with 1-2 year players. That's a lot of turnover every year. How many players would you have to get from the transfer portal every year? 4? 5? 6?

I think it's going to be more important that ever....and maybe more critical to your success then your HS recruiting...but agree. Very hard to sustain success and build culture in a program when you are constantly shuffling guys in and out. I mean UK essentially does this every year....except they get the cream de la cream of talent and even they can struggle gaining momentum until late in the year. It would be a tough way to build a program....and one I don't think is necessary when you can recruit both.

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Last year was pretty weird year lol....not one I particularly want to remember anyways....let's just agree to forget it.....poor IU.

Here is a historical poll from 2017.  Not exactly sure the criteria.  

I could see a few of those 30-40 teams saying screw it, we cant win with recruits ranked 150ish.  

And to the point of top 75 impact now talent.  If every team in the top 40 got 2 top 80 guys every year, which has never happened, thats just 2 guys.  Geronimo was around #72 and was not close to an immediate impact guy.  

It would be a headache but nba guys like Musselman and even Woodson look at their team like a GM and look at the portal like free agency.  

Screenshot_20210528-141053.png

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

‘We’re like the NBA. We can build through free agency or through the draft. We’ll take the surer thing.'”

I'm guessing Musselman. 

38 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

‘We’re like the NBA. We can build through free agency or through the draft. We’ll take the surer thing.'”

I'm guessing Musselman. 

The thing is he has tons of offers out there to HS kids. If he is saying exclusively through the portal than that isn't him. I just think in the quote is embellishing a little. Might focus on the portal as a bigger part of building the team but I really doubt they are ignoring HS kids altogether....hard to say...but it would be nice to know who to attribute that to. To me this is more of clickbait...and even if it was really said I doubt it was intended to be an absolute statement as it was presented.

Edited by dgambill

On 5/28/2021 at 1:05 PM, ledies22 said:

You're talking about primarily dealing with 1-2 year players. That's a lot of turnover every year. How many players would you have to get from the transfer portal every year? 4? 5? 6?

Not sure it will be the case that you’re only getting players with 1-2 years eligibility.  Now that they don’t have to sit out, there will be a ton of players like Adam Miller at Illinois who choose to leave after one year, for a variety of reasons .

If there are a lot of those types of incoming sophomores out there, I can see why you would want to recruit players like that over high school players.  The player still has three years left and has already been productive at the college level.  Players like that (along with other incoming juniors and seniors) will be really valuable.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 2:48 PM, FW_Hoosier said:

Not sure it will be the case that you’re only getting players with 1-2 years eligibility.  Now that they don’t have to sit out, there will be a ton of players like Adam Miller at Illinois who choose to leave after one year, for a variety of reasons .

If there are a lot of those types of incoming sophomores out there, I can see why you would want to recruit players like that over high school players.  The player still has three years left and has already been productive at the college level.  Players like that (along with other incoming juniors and seniors) will be really valuable.

Plus another great aspect of getting guys thru the transfer market. These guys will have burned their one time and theoretically will be less likely to transfer offering more roster stability 

• Like 3