Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

34 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Plus another great aspect of getting guys thru the transfer market. These guys will have burned their one time and theoretically will be less likely to transfer offering more roster stability 

Thats an interesting angle.  If a coach focused heavily on going to b sophomores.  

Maybe taking a guy with only one year of eligibility is not a good way to go unless they are the specific final piece you are looking for. 

• Like 2

I think the days recruiting kids out of the top 50 are over. Why invest in the 100 ranked kid for 2 years and he can transfer on you after not playing much year 1. The High school kids you bring in better be really to play. CMW is an NBA guy who only plays 7 or 8 guys, maybe 9. We will be a big portal team every year. Save that recruiting budget.

• Like 3

One of the great things about college basketball is the parity that has developed inside the game across the board. Not only in conference but from mid major to power 6. You see how far these mid major programs have come in consistently competing year in and year out with the big boys because there is so much talent coming into the college game. More so then there ever was. Good coaches at that mid level can build a team over several years and have some of those players that slipped through the crack or were late bloomers or that just had one or two things that they needed work on that kept them from being one of those higher recruited kids and have time to get better and grow and blossom into a star. It used to be a few would become grad transfers etc but now with this instant transfer rule....now as soon as that kid makes that leap instead of finishing out at their school they are getting calls (if you think it doesn't happen until you get into the portal I disagree) from the bigger schools. You see a kid like say Kellan Grady or Devante Jones etc and instead of coming back and leading their current school as soon as they break out and it all comes together they get poached by bigger schools. I wonder if the rich just get richer as the type of special players that made mid majors able to compete in the tournament etc start moving on to those power programs who may in return lose some guys but mostly unhappy and underperforming kids that didn't live up to expectations. Regardless of the benefit to the player...is this going to be good for parity in college basketball....or will it just not have an effect?

Edited by dgambill

23 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I think the days recruiting kids out of the top 50 are over. Why invest in the 100 ranked kid for 2 years and he can transfer on you after not playing much year 1. The High school kids you bring in better be really to play. CMW is an NBA guy who only plays 7 or 8 guys, maybe 9. We will be a big portal team every year. Save that recruiting budget.

Almost every kid we are in on now is around a 30th avg.  I would say he hasn't talked to one kid outside the top 75 aside from keeping Gunn.

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/Season/2022-Basketball/Targets/

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I think you will still have kids around the top 100. There are just so many good players now and even those kids from 50-125 are still very good. They usually have a hole in there game somewhere but if you are a great developer of talent those kids will come along quite nicely. Also, just because a kid doesn't play a lot as a freshman doesn't mean they are going to transfer on you. I think it gets down to the core of the kid. How well do you know them, what type of character they have, and honest communication. Look at our freshman from last year. Only one you would classify as top 50 talent. Leal and Galloway didn't transfer...heck they didn't even enter the portal. Those are kids that are at Indiana for a reason. They are invested in the school and the program. Not top 100 kids really but program building kids because they are winners and they have a great work ethic and attitude. Geronimo seems to be the same. Special talent that kid has but he is not running off just because we brought in competition. You are still going to recruit some of those kids...but I agree...now more than ever you have to have those conversations and evaluations with players so they know the process...the plan for them...else you will forever be chasing your tail.

There is going to be more turnover for sure...and no doubt the portal will become an ever more important part of the team building. I think for sure you focus the bigger part of your attention at those elite talented kids...but there will be exceptions on kids a little further back..especially Indiana kids that will have more a connection to the program. Not sure how you can maintain culture etc when you are constantly turning over your roster and bringing in kids from different programs. It's a fine line of how much and which ones for sure. I also think that once Woody kind of gets things moving in the right direction and feels comfortable with his program..you don't see us worry about filling all 13 scholarships. I think you want to have that flexibility that if there is a kid that hits the portal etc you aren't locked into your roster without ability to go after that player. I'm not sure you have multiple spots open like Archie but keeping the door open is nice..if you your roster is in a strong enough position you don't need it then save it for an unexpected impact player that comes along.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dgambill said:

One of the great things about college basketball is the parity that has developed inside the game across the board. Not only in conference but from mid major to power 6. You see how far these mid major programs have come in consistently competing year in and year out with the big boys because there is so much talent coming into the college game. More so then there ever was. Good coaches at that mid level can build a team over several years and have some of those players that slipped through the crack or where late bloomers or that just had one or two things that they needed work on that kept them from being one of those higher recruited kids and have time to get better and grow and blossom into a star. It used to be a few would become grad transfers etc but now with this instant transfer rule....now as soon as that kid makes that leap instead of finishing out at their school they are getting calls (if you think it doesn't happen until you get into the portal I disagree) from the bigger schools. You see a kid like say Kellan Grady or Devante Jones etc and instead of coming back and leading their current school as soon as they break out and it all comes together they get poached by bigger schools. I wonder if the rich just get richer as the type of special players that made mid majors able to compete in the tournament etc start moving on to those power programs who may in return lose some guys but mostly unhappy and underperforming kids that didn't live up to expectations. Regardless of the benefit to the player...is this going to be good for parity in college basketball....or will it just not have an effect?

Keep in mind that a lot of kids that don't work out at the "Power" schools have always found their ways to mid-major programs.  Guys like Scott Haffner, Marty Simmons, and Dan Palombizio come to mind.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rico said:

Keep in mind that a lot of kids that don't work out at the "Power" schools have always found their ways to mid-major programs.  Guys like Scott Haffner, Marty Simmons, and Dan Palombizio come to mind.

I do get that...and its why I ask instead of just make an opinion...but it seems the ones that are transferring down....you rarely hear from them again...the really good ones that do transfer just kinda stay at the power level. But you do make a good point. I wonder how much this affects those mid majors...can they keep their best players or when they do break out will they just be another recruiting tool for the UK's, KU's, and IU's of the world.

Just now, dgambill said:

I do get that...and its why I ask instead of just make an opinion...but it seems the ones that are transferring down....you rarely hear from them again...the really good ones that do transfer just kinda stay at the power level. But you do make a good point. I wonder how much this affects those mid majors...can they keep their best players or when they do break out will they just be another recruiting tool for the UK's, KU's, and IU's of the world.

Lots of "variables" to consider.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Lots of "variables" to consider.  

Yep...probably the only way you can tell is to track it over the next 10 years to see net avg rankings and finishes for non power 6 schools etc. goes up, down, or stays the same. I haven't looked. Mostly just anecdotal evidence from just watching basketball and seeing them be more competitive then ever in and out of the tournament. Time will tell if this rule change will shift the balance of power back to the elite's because it really has looked like the mid major was making huge strides in closing the gap and getting more bids to the tournament. Either way I'm sure they will adapt. It just feels like when kids had to sit out a year (non-grad transfer) that most would stay and finish their career and school out...but now more than ever these kids can transfer easily and make the leap to high majors where fewer were doing so before. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Indykev said:

why do you say he only plays 7,8,9 guys?  i would think NBA guys would be thinking to play more guys and in a scripted sub pattern.  i hope you're right!

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

why do you say he only plays 7,8,9 guys?  i would think NBA guys would be thinking to play more guys and in a scripted sub pattern.  i hope you're right!

Portland lost a 2OT game last night.  Had 3 guys foul out and still only played 9 guys.  The Nuggets on the other hand played 11...but 2 guys played 1 minute each.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rico said:

Portland lost a 2OT game last night.  Had 3 guys foul out and still only played 9 guys.  The Nuggets on the other hand played 11...but 2 guys played 1 minute each.  

Yep...in the NBA it is soo much about matchups. Exploiting one on one...even in the NBA the level from top to bottom of the bench is pretty big. You also have a lot of extremely young/aged vets that are just there to fill out the roster but mostly to fit the cap then actual guys that can really contribute. You get past 9 you are really reaching.

5 hours ago, rico said:

okay. i don't watch the NBA.  would rather watch literally anything else on TV.  i thought they played more guys and did a strict scripting sub pattern.  that's not the case?

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

okay. i don't watch the NBA.  would rather watch literally anything else on TV.  i thought they played more guys and did a strict scripting sub pattern.  that's not the case?

No.  Pretty much the same as college ball, although in the NBA some stars get "days off."

2 minutes ago, rico said:

No.  Pretty much the same as college ball, although in the NBA some stars get "days off."

i knew about the days off.  one of the thousands of reasons i have no interest, but when you say same as college, i'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, but what does that mean?  i feel like some schools play 8 and some play 11, etc.  i'm just curious because my guess was that Woodson would play a deep bench.  i don't like that personally, but thought an NBA guy would be likely to so that.  do we not think so as a group?  very curious on predictions of that.  

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i knew about the days off.  one of the thousands of reasons i have no interest, but when you say same as college, i'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, but what does that mean?  i feel like some schools play 8 and some play 11, etc.  i'm just curious because my guess was that Woodson would play a deep bench.  i don't like that personally, but thought an NBA guy would be likely to so that.  do we not think so as a group?  very curious on predictions of that.  

NBA teams typically play fairly deep benches as they games are longer and there are 82 of them so guys need rest. But in the playoffs that changes. The rotations get tighter and if bench/role guys aren't performing their minutes go down and the starters minutes go up. 

You're missing some phenomenal basketball.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

NBA teams typically play fairly deep benches as they games are longer and there are 82 of them so guys need rest. But in the playoffs that changes. The rotations get tighter and if bench/role guys aren't performing their minutes go down and the starters minutes go up. 

You're missing some phenomenal basketball.

i know.  i know.  we agree to disagree about the NBA.  i really have tried a few times over the last couple years.  what is your prediction on how Woodson subs?

• Like 1

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i know.  i know.  we agree to disagree about the NBA.  i really have tried a few times over the last couple years.  what is your prediction on how Woodson subs?

Every game is a play-off game....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That Denver-Portland 2OT game last night was better then any college I watched this season. 

NBA playoffs are really their own animal compared to the regular season. The level of play and the urgency and fight is usually very very high so you get some incredible games. Of course the quality of skill is much higher in NBA vs College. But overall intensity and excitement of games I think college in general is better over the whole season and equal to in march madness because the season is on the line every game in there. College kids just don't take nights off and they play full effort and intensity basically from the drop. So much on the line for them and sure there are some duds but effort is usually always there...no mailing it in like many nba regular season games. If you don't watch nba playoff basketball though I think you are missing out though. I have my reasons for not watching....but I can't help myself because indeed the quality of a majority of the games is wonderful.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Sounds like it might have been a good game. I've tried watching a couple of games in the playoffs but didn't last long with them.

Also doesn't help when some of the games are finishing close to midnight for the East coast. Luckily the LA vs Phoenix game was over by half time so I could go to bed.

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

NBA playoffs are really their own animal compared to the regular season. The level of play and the urgency and fight is usually very very high so you get some incredible games. Of course the quality of skill is much higher in NBA vs College. But overall intensity and excitement of games I think college in general is better over the whole season and equal to in march madness because the season is on the line every game in there. College kids just don't take nights off and they play full effort and intensity basically from the drop. So much on the line for them and sure there are some duds but effort is usually always there...no mailing it in like many nba regular season games. If you don't watch nba playoff basketball though I think you are missing out though. I have my reasons for not watching....but I can't help myself because indeed the quality of a majority of the games is wonderful.

Didn't we just spend 4 years complaining about how IU never played hard or with urgency and intensity? 

I mean, IU mailed it in against Purdue on Bob Knight's triumphant return to Assembly Hall. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1