Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Didn't we just spend 4 years complaining about how IU never played hard or with urgency and intensity? 

That's why Archie isn't still coaching the Hoosiers, he couldn't get IU to play like most winning teams, urgency and intensity and play hard.

Most teams that played like we did fail.

Edited by Hoosier51

42 minutes ago, dgambill said:

NBA playoffs are really their own animal compared to the regular season. The level of play and the urgency and fight is usually very very high so you get some incredible games. Of course the quality of skill is much higher in NBA vs College. But overall intensity and excitement of games I think college in general is better over the whole season and equal to in march madness because the season is on the line every game in there. College kids just don't take nights off and they play full effort and intensity basically from the drop. So much on the line for them and sure there are some duds but effort is usually always there...no mailing it in like many nba regular season games. If you don't watch nba playoff basketball though I think you are missing out though. I have my reasons for not watching....but I can't help myself because indeed the quality of a majority of the games is wonderful.

This used to be how I viewed the NBA vs NCAA in regards to intensity. Then the last 4 years happened...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i know.  i know.  we agree to disagree about the NBA.  i really have tried a few times over the last couple years.  what is your prediction on how Woodson subs?

I'd imagine between the fewer amounts of games, slower pace, and shorter games, we will see a tighter rotation against good competition. 

I think there could be more fluidity in what that tight rotation looks like, depending on matchup. An NBA example of that would be what I expect out of the Nets against the Bucks; they'll likely play more size than they did against the Celtics because the Celtics didn't have the ability to punish them for playing a guard/wing heavy rotation where as the Bucks will be able to exploit that more. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

That's why Archie isn't still coaching the Hoosiers, he couldn't get IU to play like most winning teams, urgency and intensity and play hard.

Most teams that played like we did fail.

Most teams at all levels that play hard, with urgency and intensity win. 

My point was the idea that NBA players don't play hard and college players all play hard all the time is an extremely false narrative. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My point was the idea that NBA players don't play hard and college players all play hard all the time is an extremely false narrative.

This I have to agree with you on, i've seen both pro and amateur players dog it in games. Just watch James Harden or Lebron when he checks out in a game and last seasons Hoosiers lol.

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Most teams at all levels that play hard, with urgency and intensity win. 

Not an NBA guy at all, in fact it may be 15 years since I last watched a game. However, if a college player walked off the court like Lebron James did the other night, they’d not be playing for a while. 

I know your passion for the NBA BGleas, but all I see is a bunch of pampered divas.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not an NBA guy at all, in fact it may be 15 years since I last watched a game. However, if a college player walked off the court like Lebron James did the other night, they’d not be playing for a while. 

I know your passion for the NBA BGleas, but all I see is a bunch of pampered divas.

Not everyone has to like all the same things of course. Would be boring if we all did. I'm not trying to get into another NBA debate, and I get that it's not for everyone just as college basketball isn't for everyone. 

The only thing I try to do is push back against false narratives that people push about the NBA, and there are a lot of them. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Not everyone has to like all the same things of course. Would be boring if we all did. I'm not trying to get into another NBA debate, and I get that it's not for everyone just as college basketball isn't for everyone. 

The only thing I try to do is push back against false narratives that people push about the NBA, and there are a lot of them. 

Not seen to many college players take a rest game. I do agree both have games where someone just doesn’t show up so you are correct there. Just don’t see too many college kids sitting in street clothes because they had to play a back to back in Maui or had 3 games in a week. 
I thought IU played extremely hard almost all the time. They just didn’t seem to be enjoying it much...but losing will do that. They had some flat games but I don’t think they were not giving it their all. I do kinda miss the days when guys disliked one another...instead of hugging it out and will catch you at the club later.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not seen to many college players take a rest game. I do agree both have games where someone just doesn’t show up so you are correct there. Just don’t see too many college kids sitting in street clothes because they had to play a back to back in Maui or had 3 games in a week. 
I thought IU played extremely hard almost all the time. They just didn’t seem to be enjoying it much...but losing will do that. They had some flat games but I don’t think they were not giving it their all. I do kinda miss the days when guys disliked one another...instead of hugging it out and will catch you at the club later.

To be fair, college players play 35-40 games a year (if they are on good teams) vs 82 + playoffs for professionals. Then you add the travel, 48 min games vs 40 min college games, and rest is absolutely needed in many cases.

3 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

To be fair, college players play 35-40 games a year (if they are on good teams) vs 82 + playoffs for professionals. Then you add the travel, 48 min games vs 40 min college games, and rest is absolutely needed in many cases.

This. There is no comparison between what NBA players put their bodies through and what college players do. 

The travel alone for NBA teams is unparalleled. Different city every night. Semi-regular back-to-backs, etc. 

I've landed in Boston at 2am after a game and then we had a home game that night. I was just an office guy and the season was exhausting, can't imagine how the players do it. 

That doesn't mean I love the rest games guys take in this era, but I do get it, and there is no comparison for college guys. 

7 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Sorry. Not going to buy the rest that Kawhi takes and then the tanking that owners do sitting their players is anything that is comparable to ncaa. I won’t debate the level of skill and play is immensely higher though.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This. There is no comparison between what NBA players put their bodies through and what college players do. 

The travel alone for NBA teams is unparalleled. Different city every night. Semi-regular back-to-backs, etc. 

I've landed in Boston at 2am after a game and then we had a home game that night. I was just an office guy and the season was exhausting, can't imagine how the players do it. 

That doesn't mean I love the rest games guys take in this era, but I do get it, and there is no comparison for college guys. 

I know many many a person who have incredibly physical jobs that work to the bone maybe get 6 hours sleep and get up and do it again for 40 years....but hey...if you say so. I won’t argue it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I know many many a person who have incredibly physical jobs that work to the bone maybe get 6 hours sleep and get up and do it again for 40 years....but hey...if you say so. I won’t argue it.

What does one have to do with the other? 

Your friend that works in construction has no leverage or power and isn't in the top 1% of their field in the world.

A top NBA player makes hundreds of millions of dollars and is a commodity that the NBA, their teams and partners have invested millions to billions in, and the team needs their commodity healthy for the playoffs and the long term.  

They're not relatable at all. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

What does one have to do with the other? 

Your friend that works in construction has no leverage or power and isn't in the top 1% of their field in the world.

A top NBA player makes hundreds of millions of dollars and is a commodity that the NBA, their teams and partners have invested millions to billions in, and the team needs their commodity healthy for the playoffs and the long term.  

They're not relatable at all. 

I was talking about a doctor...but it isn’t the same I get it.  Just saying that system that they have set up...it isn’t enjoyable from a fans perspective and that’s the only one that matters to me when I’m deciding on what to watch on tv or which game to attend. Doesn’t matter if it’s smart or not for their team it effects them growing their product and drawing in a much bigger fanbase and increasing their profits.
I’m  just speaking from an entertainment perspective which is what we are talking about. Not why they do it...just it effects their product on a nightly basis especially during the regular season. Playoffs you see a different version of the nba and I agree it’s very enjoyable. Anyways like you said different strokes but I can definitely see a difference and why the league can turn off many basketball fans.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Pretty sure that said contract allows for paying a guy for walking off the court while there is still time on the clock 

I seen somewhere that Vogel said he had to get ready for his treatment. I am curious if it was a close game and they had a chance to win if he would have left with 5 mins to go to get ready for his treatment. His teammates waited until the end in a loss so it seems like he could have. 

I couldn’t care less if he walked off. I’m not a huge Lebron fan but they got humiliated the other night. Not sure id sit through that effort this team gave either. Not like he needed to stick around for a handshake. They don’t do that until the series is over.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I couldn’t care less if he walked off. I’m not a huge Lebron fan but they got humiliated the other night. Not sure id sit through that effort this team gave either. Not like he needed to stick around for a handshake. They don’t do that until the series is over.

Not a Lebron James fan either, but try selling your narrative to the average fan who paid hard earned money to watch 48 minutes of best effort basketball 

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Kinda… the pros are getting paid to play. Paid to be on the floor.

Guess I disagree in that I believe an employee should meet whatever obligations his contract stipulates 

Pretty sure that said contract allows for paying a guy for walking off the court while there is still time on the clock 

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on the perspective you come at it with, the ultra-talented, ultra-famous and ultra-rich have way more leverage and often a different set of rules than they everyday Joe person that has a contract at their job. 

It's just the reality of the world. LeBron James is the most valuable basketball player on the planet, he can walk off with 5 minutes left if he wants. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on the perspective you come at it with, the ultra-talented, ultra-famous and ultra-rich have way more leverage and often a different set of rules than they everyday Joe person that has a contract at their job. 

It's just the reality of the world. LeBron James is the most valuable basketball player on the planet, he can walk off with 5 minutes left if he wants. 

Thankfully, I have the ability to spend my dollars not supporting any NBA player.. 

Could not imagine a movie self-obsessed pro athlete than Lebron James. Aaron Rodgers comes close, but he at least never walked off the field on his team.

Your reality is what is wrong with the whole athlete/franchise/ city relationship. For some reason, entitled athletes feel like they are owed something by the fans who support them 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not a Lebron James fan either, but try selling your narrative to the average fan who paid hard earned money to watch 48 minutes of best effort basketball 

Fans just don’t like sore losers. Tom Brady not shaking hands or Lebron walking off or IT walking out on MJ...fact is I doubt any LA fans were still watching lol and those that watched til the end just wanted to see Lebron miserable either way. I don’t think anyone left watching was going to see Lebron playing regardless. You don’t play your best players in a 30 pt beat down. He was just going to sit the bench regardless. Don’t see the point on this one.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Fans just don’t like sore losers. Tom Brady not shaking hands or Lebron walking off or IT walking out on MJ...fact is I doubt any LA fans were still watching lol and those that watched til the end just wanted to see Lebron miserable either way. I don’t think anyone left watching was going to see Lebron playing regardless. You don’t play your best players in a 30 pt beat down. He was just going to sit the bench regardless. Don’t see the point on this one.

Guess it all depends on your perspective. Lebron James, not Lebron, seems to think he runs the league. He is an employee, and will be replaceable, just like Oscar and Cousy and Wilt and Russell and Magic and Bird and Jordan, Malone etc., were. 
For some reason, and you’ve seemingly bought into it, Lebron James somehow thinks he is bigger than the game. For that matter, he seems to think his opinion matters on a bigger scale.

He’s a guy who has made a ton of money because God blessed him with extraordinary athletic talent. Too bad that humility didn’t come along with that package

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If LeBron James walked off a college court he would start the next game. LBJ and other superstars get away with more for a reason. This isn't true in just the NBA, or even just sports. 

• Like 2