Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

College teams don't have remotely comparable schedules. You wouldn't see pros take a rest of a busy week was three games (which is really rare in college). 

The NBA plays nearly 3 times as many games on the path to a championship, plays longer games, and plays at a much faster pace. And they do it against better athletes which is more taxing and much tougher travel schedules (not mostly regional travel). 

Last thing and I’ll take it to nba thread. It isn’t so much the players resting...it’s the teams tanking for draft picks that bother me. Resting healthy guys and it starts even before the all star break. It makes for a poor fan experience at the game and home. 10-20 years ago with the same schedule I knew I had a Pacer ticket I could take my kid to see Reggie Miller vs say Michael Jordan or Patrick Ewing. In today’s nba...who knows if I’d even get to see Reggie Bullock. I know I know the differences but now compare that to the nfl....I’m almost assured to see Tom Brady. In the mlb I’m almost assured I know Walker Buehler is taking the mound or Mike Trout is playing the field...nba...who knows. That was kinda my point in all that. I buy IU tickets I know I’m going to get to see TJD. That’s my biggest beef with regular season nba. They treat it as it’s basically disposable...and I don’t get nearly the same product as the post season. I have no problem with nba playoffs....it’s Fantastic! (In Marv Albert voice) Lol

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would take any of those athletes, for putting their team’s needs first, ahead of Lebron James.

Not sure what a compromised ankle is compared to a broken leg, or some of the other injuries these athletes worked through.

LeBron is regarded as one of the best teammates and leaders you can have in basketball, so not really sure what your point is here?

LeBron had a high ankle sprain that isn't going to be fully healed until the offseason and he's playing through it. I'm sorry he hasn't had a more severe injury to fight through. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Nah. A leader doesn’t leave the arena of battle, regardless the situation.

Just for giggles, do a Google search for players who played with serious injuries.

Guys like Jack Youngblood who played a playoff game with a broken leg. Willis Reed. Bret Favre. Kirk Gibson. Kerri Strug. Steve Yzerman

These are real teammates. Putting the team first. Not self absorbed. Certainly didn’t bail when things got tough 

Not to interrupt this back and forth, but I'll never forget when Peyton Manning either broke or dislocated his jaw from a terrible hit against the Redskins years ago.

He called timeout. By doing so, he didn't have to come off the field for one play due to an injury timeout. 

LeBron is great. One of the greatest, if not the greatest. But I will add. It doesn't help his cause when he completely flops and acts like someone broke his face off, when replay shows he wasn't touched, or barely touched for that matter

1 minute ago, ephul said:

Not to interrupt this back and forth, but I'll never forget when Peyton Manning either broke or dislocated his jaw from a terrible hit against the Redskins years ago.

He called timeout. By doing so, he didn't have to come off the field for one play due to an injury timeout. 

LeBron is great. One of the greatest, if not the greatest. But I will add. It doesn't help his cause when he completely flops and acts like someone broke his face off, when replay shows he wasn't touched, or barely touched for that matter

I don’t like it but man don’t ever watch professional soccer then....geez makes Lebron look like he is Willis Reed. I don’t get this Lebron ankle stuff. He is indeed playing through pain and leaving early in a blowout...they need him like 100% for game 6 or they are toast....I guess he should have sat the bench and watched his team go down in flames like a good captain of the titanic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You don't think LeBron James isn't playing on a compromised ankle right now?

I'll take LeBron James' resume of performance, winning and leadership over all of those guys. 

He's the most successful team sport athlete on that list in terms of his numbers and winning, literally dragging teams to the Finals. 

I don’t really care about this argument one way or another but I don’t think it says much that he “took his talents” to Miami to play with Bosch and Wade, then went to LA to play with AD. His right for sure, but can’t give him the accolades you bestow on him when he’s been chasing other stars to play with the last 10 years of his career. His teams were favorites to win just about every year and NOT just bc of him. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

Just to note, I'm not even a LeBron guy. I can't stand him as a Celtics fan that battled him for years. I root for him to lose every series. 

You and me both brother...speaking as a Pacer fan. We all know he has his issues but this is a dumb hill like you said of Steven A earlier today for Lebron haters to die on.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i knew about the days off.  one of the thousands of reasons i have no interest, but when you say same as college, i'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic, but what does that mean?  i feel like some schools play 8 and some play 11, etc.  i'm just curious because my guess was that Woodson would play a deep bench.  i don't like that personally, but thought an NBA guy would be likely to so that.  do we not think so as a group?  very curious on predictions of that.  

The NBA does have a set schedule for subbing and it has really hurt the Pacers.  It seems like they take 4 of the starters out at the same time and when they do this in the late 3rd quarter and half of the 4th quarter it kills them.

14 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I don’t really care about this argument one way or another but I don’t think it says much that he “took his talents” to Miami to play with Bosch and Wade, then went to LA to play with AD. His right for sure, but can’t give him the accolades you bestow on him when he’s been chasing other stars to play with the last 10 years of his career. His teams were favorites to win just about every year and NOT just bc of him. 

I can't think of a single team that LeBron has been on the would even be a title contender, let alone a title favorite, without LeBron?

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would take any of those athletes, for putting their team’s needs first, ahead of Lebron James.

Not sure what a compromised ankle is compared to a broken leg, or some of the other injuries these athletes worked through.

Jumping in on this conversation. Do you really feel they were putting their team first or their future? No one wanted to be Wally Pipped. I have heard lots of former athletes say the fear of a new guy taking your spot if you miss time was bigger than the pain you had to overcome to play. It was a different time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

So guys like Barkley get blasted for being great but not having a ring. Then guys that position themselves to win rings get blasted for that. You fans are hard to please 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

I was excited to see 3 new pages of transfer news/updates. Something interesting must of happened!

Instead, it's a Lebron/NBA probe.  Waa-Wahhh

I don't really want to read back through the previous few pages, all I want to know is Lebron coming to play for your new coach or not?  Transferring? Not transferring? 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

So guys like Barkley get blasted for being great but not having a ring. Then guys that position themselves to win rings get blasted for that. You fans are hard to please 

I love Charles Barkley and have a lot of respect for him. I don’t think any less of him for not winning a ring. I can’t stand Lebron as a player or a person. Again, it was his right to go / create whatever situation he wanted within the rules. The only thing I respect out of him is that he wanted to win. Don’t respect the fashion he left Cleveland or the unwillingness to stick around. He proved he could win in Cleveland without a bunch of superstars. I also don’t respect the arrogance and entitlement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• bluegrassIU changed the title to Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.
10 hours ago, dgambill said:

Last thing and I’ll take it to nba thread. It isn’t so much the players resting...it’s the teams tanking for draft picks that bother me. Resting healthy guys and it starts even before the all star break. It makes for a poor fan experience at the game and home. 10-20 years ago with the same schedule I knew I had a Pacer ticket I could take my kid to see Reggie Miller vs say Michael Jordan or Patrick Ewing. In today’s nba...who knows if I’d even get to see Reggie Bullock. I know I know the differences but now compare that to the nfl....I’m almost assured to see Tom Brady. In the mlb I’m almost assured I know Walker Buehler is taking the mound or Mike Trout is playing the field...nba...who knows. That was kinda my point in all that. I buy IU tickets I know I’m going to get to see TJD. That’s my biggest beef with regular season nba. They treat it as it’s basically disposable...and I don’t get nearly the same product as the post season. I have no problem with nba playoffs....it’s Fantastic! (In Marv Albert voice) Lol

As a big baseball fan, this statement is simply not true. In the last full season there were only 5 position players who played every game. MLB players have rest days very frequently.

• Like 2

Just now, Kdug said:

As a big baseball fan, this statement is simply not true. In the last full season there were only 5 position players who played every game. MLB players have rest days very frequently.

And yet you never hear a peep about that from fans and media. I understand they play more games in MLB, but at the same time the travel is less impactful (you stay in the same city for 3-4 days at a time) and the sport is not as strenuous physically. 

Transfers by Class.xlsx

30 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Can anyone find the number of transfers by class? How many freshman, sophomores, JRs, SRs? would be interesting to see. 

I won't count them, but I took the data off of Verbal Commits and loaded them into a spreadsheet sorted by class...

Edited the spreadsheet so you can filter by class as well...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2