Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

23 minutes ago, rico said:

Nah, I think it is just as @Steubenhoosiersaid above.  

Maybe but we don't know for sure.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Strange circumstances surrounding this whole process....including UK saying via their public chatterbox that Kofi and Cal never even spoke. 

If that is true then Cal is an idiot. Kofi would help any team he goes to, and Kentucky isn't good enough to turn away from an All-American. 

Hopefully he ends up at FSU.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Where’s that @BruceDouglasguy the one time that you really want him to chime in?

He only comes around when news is good. I kid I kid. After the flameout last season and subsequent mass departures of staff/players....even if Kofi returns I wouldn't expect much from any Illini fan.

The few I know are all like what is really going on there. Coaches, players leaving....after this many years on the job the coach shouldn't keep having this much roster turnover while not sending one player to the league yet. Not to mention only 1 tourney win with a team ranked in top 5 all year.

At least Crean gave us 2 Big 10 Titles and 3 Sweet 16's.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, rico said:

Honestly, I had never heard of him.  

🤷‍♂️ me either...just going by the info and those up north may remember him from a few years ago perhaps....but clearly talented....appears to be a physical specimen....basically a dunk machine.

edit....maybe this is why we haven't heard of him. Seems he transferred to Horizon Christian Academy in HS.....probably the info is wrong as he left FW Bishop Luers after his freshman year?? Probably why he fell off the map. Going to go out on a limb and say the kid couldn't get his grades up so he went to JUCO and now the big boys have been sniffing around. Feel free for anyone that has better info to share...i'm just trying to piece together by internet links.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

🤷‍♂️ me either...just going by the info and those up north may remember him from a few years ago perhaps....but clearly talented....appears to be a physical specimen....basically a dunk machine.

edit....maybe this is why we haven't heard of him. Seems he transferred to Horizon Christian Academy in HS.....probably the info is wrong as he left FW Bishop Luers after his freshman year?? Probably why he fell off the map. Going to go out on a limb and say the kid couldn't get his grades up so he went to JUCO and now the big boys have been sniffing around. Feel free for anyone that has better info to share...i'm just trying to piece together by internet links.

Now that would make some sense from my end for why I have never heard of him.  But that link I posted and the local sportscast this morn say he is a Northrop grad?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Now that would make some sense from my end for why I have never heard of him.  But that link I posted and the local sportscast this morn say he is a Northrop grad?

Yeah who knows...seems he bounced around several schools and maybe he did go to Northrop I just can't say...but the info I found was as I said. Going to go with a troubled education for his path but a physical presence on the basketball floor that over powers his opponents inside and on the boards and likes to finish with authority is his MO.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dgambill said:

Good for them. Delays their inevitable decline for a year. I’m not worried becaus Trayce is going to drag him away from the basket with his improved shooting anyways!

I just hope Coach Woody doesn't take it wrong when he says, "who's going to guard Cockburn?"

And one of the assistants replies, "Durr." 

• Haha 1

On 5/6/2021 at 11:24 AM, dgambill said:

Crushes UI...definitely helps UK. Cal was like a lost puppy last year with no one to coach his team for him. UI's fall will be just as fast as their rise......if losing Cofi and Ayo didn't tell you something this should....

ABANDON SHIP!!! Underwood is really really going to have to flip the script. What does @BruceDouglas think about all this??

Man, what a crazy off season this has been! Not sure I like this new era but Illinois seems to have come out of it in pretty good shape.

On 7/14/2021 at 7:05 PM, Seeking6 said:

He only comes around when news is good. I kid I kid. After the flameout last season and subsequent mass departures of staff/players....even if Kofi returns I wouldn't expect much from any Illini fan.

The few I know are all like what is really going on there. Coaches, players leaving....after this many years on the job the coach shouldn't keep having this much roster turnover while not sending one player to the league yet. Not to mention only 1 tourney win with a team ranked in top 5 all year.

At least Crean gave us 2 Big 10 Titles and 3 Sweet 16's.

Off season I'm out on the golf course or eating some good bar-b-que, not hanging with the fools here. 🤣

Not sure why you continue to post the draft stuff that makes you look rather foolish.

Not sure on the "roster turnover" either, bringing back 9 guys is pretty good these days. 

Edited by BruceDouglas
add
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Off season I'm out on the golf course or eating some good bar-b-que, not hanging with the fools here. 🤣

Not sure why you continue to post the draft stuff that makes you look rather foolish.

Not sure on the "roster turnover" either, bringing back 9 guys is pretty good these days. 

We knew we would draw you back in. Congrats on Kofi returning....I think. See most college hoops fans know the importance of getting guys to the pros for recruiting. Illini fans seem to think it's good for them to keep players coming back. Worked well for Ayo....fringe first round at best now.....and now Kofi who despite being told by every NBA scout no one at college has taught him how to defend/recognize/adjust to high ball screen defense....he goes back to the very well that has made him another 3rd year Illini. 

4 years. 1 tourney win. Zero pros. Transfers. Coaches exiting stage right. Sounds like a program with solid footing.

Have fun on golf course and food eating. We didn't get a comment from you after the Loyola game though. Illini fans only show up when they think it's good news. The old phrase applies here....some are so far behind they actually think their leading the race. 

Have a great summer! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

We knew we would draw you back in. Congrats on Kofi returning....I think. See most college hoops fans know the importance of getting guys to the pros for recruiting. Illini fans seem to think it's good for them to keep players coming back. Worked well for Ayo....fringe first round at best now.....and now Kofi who despite being told by every NBA scout no one at college has taught him how to defend/recognize/adjust to high ball screen defense....he goes back to the very well that has made him another 3rd year Illini. 

4 years. 1 tourney win. Zero pros. Transfers. Coaches exiting stage right. Sounds like a program with solid footing.

Have fun on golf course and food eating. We didn't get a comment from you after the Loyola game though. Illini fans only show up when they think it's good news. The old phrase applies here....some are so far behind they actually think their leading the race. 

Have a great summer! 

I am more worried about kids staying and helping IU win over their draft prospects

Edited by IU Scott

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not saying the coaches shouldn't worry about it but as a fan I don't care what a players draft stock is

That's the thing though. As fans we/you/me have to be a you can head to the pros as soon as you can fanbase. What started this conversation was our friend from 1983 and his Illini.....and that's exactly where I don't want IU to be with recruits, NIL, progressive staffs,etc....not a staff or fanbase that gets excited because kids keep coming back to the college program while obviously hurting recruiting in the next 2 classes. That line of thinking is so archaic it gets embarrassing to keep discussing in the year 2021.

I'm not saying go Calipari....but I know a guy named K keeps shipping kids to the pros and it doesn't take 3-4 years with every player to get there. That's some of our Big 10 brethren's model. If we choose that path no one will like the results. You'll have 1 chance every 3-4 years to make a run....and all of sudden you lose to Loyola without a Big 10 title, without a visit to the second weekend.....and most fans will say wow. That really sucked. We know it all so well. Saw it 2-3x with Crean. Mentioned a few pages ago. At least with Crean we got a few Sweet 16's and some Big 10 titles.

Shoot Underwood's rep is arranging deck chairs on the Titanic right now. His team might win 30 this year. They might win 20....but that model won't work. Check back where they are in 2 years.  My guess. 2-3 total NCAA tourney wins and zero Big 10 titles under Underwood after year 5 or 6 on the job. 

12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing though. As fans we/you/me have to be a you can head to the pros as soon as you can fanbase. What started this conversation was our friend from 1983 and his Illini.....and that's exactly where I don't want IU to be with recruits, NIL, progressive staffs,etc....not a staff or fanbase that gets excited because kids keep coming back to the college program while obviously hurting recruiting in the next 2 classes. That line of thinking is so archaic it gets embarrassing to keep discussing in the year 2021.

I'm not saying go Calipari....but I know a guy named K keeps shipping kids to the pros and it doesn't take 3-4 years with every player to get there. That's some of our Big 10 brethren's model. If we choose that path no one will like the results. You'll have 1 chance every 3-4 years to make a run....and all of sudden you lose to Loyola without a Big 10 title, without a visit to the second weekend.....and most fans will say wow. That really sucked. We know it all so well. Saw it 2-3x with Crean. Mentioned a few pages ago. At least with Crean we got a few Sweet 16's and some Big 10 titles.

Shoot Underwood's rep is arranging deck chairs on the Titanic right now. His team might win 30 this year. They might win 20....but that model won't work. Check back where they are in 2 years.  My guess. 2-3 total NCAA tourney wins and zero Big 10 titles under Underwood after year 5 or 6 on the job. 

Roy Williams best teams at UNC was built on players rated around 20-65 and stayed 3 or 4 years. His last few years when he started getting more one and done players the worse he did.

Edited by IU Scott

11 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

With all the respect in the world....that's why we haven't been in a Final 4 in 20 years. 

There was a time when kids used their basketball ability to get a free, quality education.  And if the NBA came calling they tried it.  Not at all these days.  The ultimate goal is to get paid for playing basketball.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rico said:

There was a time when kids used their basketball ability to get a free, quality education.  And if the NBA came calling they tried it.  Not at all these days.  The ultimate goal is to get paid for playing basketball.

Pro sports didn't used to provide generational wealth. The change isn't the kids, it's from capitalism 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 4