Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Pro sports didn't used to provide generational wealth. The change isn't the kids, it's from capitalism 

Right, decent but not great NBA players can now make $20M/year. Lottery draft picks can make more in 1 season than what a rookie contract 30 years ago would make for the duration of that contract. Even counting for inflation, the money the pros are making is way up.

In addition, the money the schools and NCAA were pulling in were only a fraction of what it is today. So a free education looked like a decent benefit in comparison. This has changed dramatically over the last 10-20 years which is why they also want to get paid while playing in college.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Right, decent but not great NBA players can now make $20M/year. Lottery draft picks can make more in 1 season than what a rookie contract 30 years ago would make for the duration of that contract. Even counting for inflation, the money the pros are making is way up.

In addition, the money the schools and NCAA were pulling in were only a fraction of what it is today. So a free education looked like a decent benefit in comparison. This has changed dramatically over the last 10-20 years which is why they also want to get paid while playing in college.

Spot on. And I hadn't even considered the perception difference for college athletes but you're right, a free education used to see great but when it's now crumbs compared to the entire pie, it's a psychological difference to the players I would imagine.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

We knew we would draw you back in. Congrats on Kofi returning....I think. See most college hoops fans know the importance of getting guys to the pros for recruiting. Illini fans seem to think it's good for them to keep players coming back. Worked well for Ayo....fringe first round at best now.....and now Kofi who despite being told by every NBA scout no one at college has taught him how to defend/recognize/adjust to high ball screen defense....he goes back to the very well that has made him another 3rd year Illini. 

4 years. 1 tourney win. Zero pros. Transfers. Coaches exiting stage right. Sounds like a program with solid footing.

Have fun on golf course and food eating. We didn't get a comment from you after the Loyola game though. Illini fans only show up when they think it's good news. The old phrase applies here....some are so far behind they actually think their leading the race. 

Have a great summer! 

Yes, getting all those kids to the pros has IU in fine shape, right? 🤣

Kofi knows how to defend screens, he's simply too large of a human to be able to move quickly enough. It's why he's staying in college. And honestly, why Illinois was able to land him. And he's probably going to make more money with NIL than he would going overseas, so maybe he comes back and plays a 4th season? I'm sure you'll trot this crap out again then. 🤣

Yeah, Illinois is on solid footing. Preseason top 15 team and again a B1G title contender, a nice freshman class and 2 top 100 guards committed for 2022. After losing a first team All America and soon to be first round NBA draft pick, 3 assistant coaches and another starting guard. 

BTW, this kind of turnover is going to become more common, so get used to it.

You're awfully defensive about it. Heh.

Looking forward to extending that winning streak against IU....

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Kofi knows how to defend screens, he's simply too large of a human to be able to move quickly enough. It's why he's staying in college. And honestly, why Illinois was able to land him. And he's probably going to make more money with NIL than he would going overseas, so maybe he comes back and plays a 4th season? I'm sure you'll trot this crap out again then. 🤣

Yeah, Illinois is on solid footing. Preseason top 15 team and again a B1G title contender, a nice freshman class and 2 top 100 guards committed for 2022. After losing a first team All America and soon to be first round NBA draft pick, 3 assistant coaches and another starting guard. 

Dude, what are you doing here? 

31 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Danger, Will Robinson.  Nothing inherently wrong here, but keep it above the belt.

39 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Pro sports didn't used to provide generational wealth. The change isn't the kids, it's from capitalism 

Us farm boys learned capitalism and "supply and demand" at very young ages.  LOL

But yes, pro sports were peanuts were peanuts when I was growing up.  Things change.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IUaic said:

To his credit, he was called out when some thought Kofi was transferring out and things looked a lot worse for them.

Yep....people took delight in the Illini taking their 14 year hiatus a bit early. I don't think they will be winning the B1G this year but they will still be a top 5 caliber team in conference.

14 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Just curious at why you spend time on an IU site. 

It is kinda strange that 2 posters from the 2 most delusional fan bases in the B1G like to hang out here, but the hierarchy and some of the long time posters seem to like them, so...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2021 at 7:44 PM, kyhoosier29 said:

Just curious at why you spend time on an IU site. 

Just for old times sake, I guess. I used to hang out on a bunch of Big Ten boards back when there were a lot of good independent sites, i.e. Illiniboard, Peegs, BadgerManic and tRCMB. Unfortunately many of them went over to Rivals/Scout/247 and mostly behind paywalls. And most of these boards have terrible interfaces so not easy to have any kind of real discussion. I do miss those days.

And believe it or not, I do appreciate the different perspective from other B1G fans.

Edited by BruceDouglas
  • Like 2