Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Is this guy still an option??

I like him over Durr...and that would allow us to redshirt Duncomb if he would like. Isn't he young for his class?

accidentally posted a TDH article in the wrong thread, but here is some more info:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/transfer-portal-names-to-know-naia-all-american-ej-onu/

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

accidentally posted a TDH article in the wrong thread, but here is some more info:

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/transfer-portal-names-to-know-naia-all-american-ej-onu/

I mean 40% from 3 on 120 attempts is nothing to sneeze about...even at that level. 7'6 wingspan and runs the floor. Just wondering if he comes back to college would we start him next to Trayce though? Kid has to want significant minutes if he wants to be an NBA pick.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Foster Loyer formerly of Michigan State commits to Davidson...Much better fit for him...

Exactly. He was overmatched.   It’s like when I played on court one at the HPER.  Game was probably too fast for me.   Lol.  I guarded your guy Jerry Sichting up there once.  He didn’t try very hard lol but I did score on him.  

• Like 1

On BTB one of their best mentioned multiple players are saying a certain someone is still coming to IU. Currently said kid is attending a school with team colors of blue and white and the first three letters of the city begin with Lex. 🤷🏼

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

On BTB one of their best mentioned multiple players are saying a certain someone is still coming to IU. Currently said kid is attending a school with team colors of blue and white and the first three letters of the city begin with Lex. 🤷🏼

can't you give us some idea of who you're talking about?   😁

• Haha 5

42 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

So, I looked...Washington and Lee University in Lexington, Virginia. The Fighting Generals. Division 3 in athletics, so he would have to be some fantastic player to make the jump to a power 5 program. Colors are blue or royal blue and white.....What am I missing here?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

FYI....for those people that were interested in the Indiana Wesleyan kid, Kyle Mangas. Per the Ft. Wayne Journal Gazette this morning, he has hired an agent and is looking to play professionally somewhere.

In a different circumstance I would ABSOLUTELY love to have Kyle...and if things had shaken out differently with who left etc as well. But given the depth at guard/wing just hard to justify adding him to the deepest part of our team. I want competition I do...but for one year I'm not sure I want to take more minutes away from developing Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal. They both should see improvements this year...and if not I understand you have to keep recruiting but I think them and Kopp really provide plenty of what Kyle would bring us. Gotta have faith they are going to step up. I do think either a rim protector or athletic 3/D wing is the last piece to our puzzle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Hard pass.  Ask Jerome to fully recommit mentally and physically.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hard pass.  Ask Jerome to fully recommit mentally and physically.

Well one thing Keion definitely does is play very very hard and is committed to his teammates and team. Kid might not be a lot of things but he was a leader for that team and when he played their intensity rose. He also went to bat and took post game interviews even when he was out injured. Kid can also guard 1-5 on the court in many situations that is how hard he plays and how athletic he is...so he has his positives.

• Like 4

Just now, dgambill said:

Well one thing Keion definitely does is play very very hard and is committed to his teammates and team. Kid might not be a lot of things but he was a leader for that team and when he played their intensity rose. He also went to bat and took post game interviews even when he was out injured. Kid can also guard 1-5 on the court in many situations that is how hard he plays and how athletic he is...so he has his positives.

Effort and attitude can help.  I wouldn't overate his athleticism though.  He is no Troy Williams.

I also wouldn't want him guarding most points or bigs.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Exactly. He was overmatched.   It’s like when I played on court one at the HPER.  Game was probably too fast for me.   Lol.  I guarded your guy Jerry Sichting up there once.  He didn’t try very hard lol but I did score on him.  

Good ol HPER memories... I think I made it on to court 2 a handful of times, lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Effort and attitude can help.  I wouldn't overate his athleticism though.  He is no Troy Williams.

I also wouldn't want him guarding most points or bigs.  

Well not primarily obviously but I've watched him switch off on pgs coming off screens and slide over on bigs and he battles and does a good job....kid isn't afraid to guard someone and he is a good rebounder. I'm not saying he is Troy and of course he needs work on his shot but he isn't far from OG in my opinion (I know that won't be popular). Kid would be a huge upgrade on the defensive end and on the boards..and who knows maybe the staff can clean up his shooting.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I played against Jerry many times at the Martinsville Park...He was a very nice guy...Never played really hard against mediocre talent like me...If you were on his team, you'd better be ready because he'd bounce one off your noggin if you didn't keep your eyes open...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

any status update on either big men we're in on?

If 2 were planning on committing to IU right now, I would say Durr would commit. The NAIA looks like he is trying to go professional 

There is also a lot of smoke on Durr too, one of the respected insiders on BTB said the open position will be filled soon

Edited by Hoosierfan1901
  • Thanks 1

Personally I don't mind letting the dust settle a little bit and seeing what shakes loose as the summer roles along. No rush to fill this last position. Even as we are we are sitting pretty good. I mean we essentially have replaced everything we lost plus more since last year. We are deeper in the front court by adding Duncomb and have swapped Hunter for Kopp, swapped Armaan for a 5* Bates and Durham for a transfer that never played last year in Stewart. Oh and upgraded at the point with Johnson....so even left unfilled I'm not too worried. I would be happy to add another front court player if it means we can redshirt Duncomb but I'm not sweating it either way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I played against Jerry many times at the Martinsville Park...He was a very nice guy...Never played really hard against mediocre talent like me...If you were on his team, you'd better be ready because he'd bounce one off your noggin if you didn't keep your eyes open...

The funny thing, I must have played him right after his career ended.  I believe it must have been very early in the 90s.  I came down and hit one on him, then came down and hit another just to prove the first one wasn’t a fluke lol.   He just didn’t pressure me at all if I’m being honest. 

The other thing that sticks out about that day.   Sichting was considered a “small, slow white guy” by NBA fans.  I’m here to tell you there are NBA athletes and regular humans.  He was a very, very good athlete compared to regular people.  He was strong, fit, athletic, and could jump.   His athleticism surprised me.  I can only say positive things about him. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The funny thing, I must have played him right after his career ended.  I believe it must have been very early in the 90s.  I came down and hit one on him, then came down and hit another just to prove the first one wasn’t a fluke lol.   He just didn’t pressure me at all if I’m being honest. 

The other thing that sticks out about that day.   Sichting was considered a “small, slow white guy” by NBA fans.  I’m here to tell you there are NBA athletes and regular humans.  He was a very, very good athlete compared to regular people.  He was strong, fit, athletic, and could jump.   His athleticism surprised me.  I can only say positive things about him. 

I think this point is lost on most people. Fans will say this guy sucks, and he very may well suck at NBA level standards, but compared to the "regular humans" 99.99% of them would dominate, even the White Mamba...

Top 30 Brian Scalabrine GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I played against him all through junior high and high school (we were in the same class)...I could tell by 8th grade he was a special player. His house backed right up to the basketball courts at the Martinsville Park, so he always had a place to play, as it was lighted. I lived across town, but I made it up there as much as I could...always a lot of good competition...

Those years were some golden years for Martinsville sports...in 75 and 76 we put 1 basketball player (Sichting at Purdue) and 2 football players (Dan Rhoden 75, and Mark Fishel 76 at IU) in the Big 10.

Martinsville also had 4 coaches who are in the Indiana HOF in their respective sports during that time...Sam Alford (basketball), Bill Tutterow (baseball), Bill Siderwicz (football) and John Koontz (wrestling).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1