Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

41 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not a Lebron James fan either, but try selling your narrative to the average fan who paid hard earned money to watch 48 minutes of best effort basketball 

That's not a LeBron issue, you get that right? If you're going to be mad that fans didn't get 48 minutes of max effort in a complete blow out, be mad the coach pulled the starters. 

Then go be mad that Bobby Knight used to do the same thing. And every other coach worth a damn has pulled their starters in blow outs. 

LeBron staying to watch from the bench wouldn't have changed anything about the fans experience. 

Edited by KoB2011
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Kinda… the pros are getting paid to play. Paid to be on the floor.

Guess I disagree in that I believe an employee should meet whatever obligations his contract stipulates 

Pretty sure that said contract allows for paying a guy for walking off the court while there is still time on the clock 

You think LeBron violated his contract last night? Is that the argument you just made?

• Like 2

Since the transfer portal thread has gone off the rails I'll add to the train wreck. These NBA guys don't have a clue what hard is. Try Chicago to Paris to Brazil week after week for years....just so the people who want to open a BP gas station feel like they've been personally met. 

With that said. I expect another player in the portal soon. To keep it on subject. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Not seen to many college players take a rest game. I do agree both have games where someone just doesn’t show up so you are correct there. Just don’t see too many college kids sitting in street clothes because they had to play a back to back in Maui or had 3 games in a week. 
I thought IU played extremely hard almost all the time. They just didn’t seem to be enjoying it much...but losing will do that. They had some flat games but I don’t think they were not giving it their all. I do kinda miss the days when guys disliked one another...instead of hugging it out and will catch you at the club later.

College teams don't have remotely comparable schedules. You wouldn't see pros take a rest of a busy week was three games (which is really rare in college). 

The NBA plays nearly 3 times as many games on the path to a championship, plays longer games, and plays at a much faster pace. And they do it against better athletes which is more taxing and much tougher travel schedules (not mostly regional travel). 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Thankfully, I have the ability to spend my dollars not supporting any NBA player.. 

Could not imagine a movie self-obsessed pro athlete than Lebron James. Aaron Rodgers comes close, but he at least never walked off the field on his team.

Your reality is what is wrong with the whole athlete/franchise/ city relationship. For some reason, entitled athletes feel like they are owed something by the fans who support them 

It's not my reality, it is the reality, and it's not just athletes. Anyone that is ultra-talented and that talent is a commodity is going to have a different set of leverage or even rules. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's not my reality, it is the reality, and it's not just athletes. Anyone that is ultra-talented and that talent is a commodity is going to have a different set of leverage or even rules. 

Maybe that’s what’s wrong.

Supposedly, Lebron James is the face of the NBA. Nice example as a leader. Sad commentary as a supposed leader in reality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Could care less.

if the fans demanded money back because they didn’t get their full 48 minutes worth? How would that fly?

You're promised 48 minutes of basketball, not 48 minutes of LeBron James. There's not a player that averages 48 minutes per game. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Could care less.

if the fans demanded money back because they didn’t get their full 48 minutes worth? How would that fly?

Then why did you say he did?

Fans are welcome to try that. They'd get laughed at, but they can try it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

You're promised 48 minutes of basketball, not 48 minutes of LeBron James. There's not a player that averages 48 minutes per game. 

Paying for 48 minutes of best effort.

“Yes, Mr. prospect. I will give you my best effort most of the time, but when things get tough, and you really need my presence/expertise/talent, if I don’t think I can overcome the challenge, I am bailing.”

How does any intelligent consumer buy into what he’s trying to sell?

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe that’s what’s wrong.

Supposedly, Lebron James is the face of the NBA. Nice example as a leader. Sad commentary as a supposed leader in reality.

What is the commentary? That he should have stayed in the game and made it harder to win Game 6 instead of turning his attention to the next task?

Good leaders, in sports, business, or anything really, know when to cut their losses and move on to the next objective. You seem to be looking for an Andrew Luck mentality as opposed to Tom Brady.

• Like 1

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Paying for 48 minutes of best effort.

“Yes, Mr. prospect. I will give you my best effort most of the time, but when things get tough, and you really need my presence/expertise/talent, if I don’t think I can overcome the challenge, I am bailing.”

How does any intelligent consumer buy into what he’s trying to sell?

He's arguably the greatest basketball player that has ever walked the Earth. You really don't think LeBron James hasn't given the fans their money's worth? That's an odd stance to take on a guy that has dragged a few teams to the Finals (I'm not even a LeBron guy)

The guy has played the equivalent of close to 40 college basketball seasons, not counting his playoff games. He's been to 10 NBA Finals, etc., etc.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

He's arguably the greatest basketball player that has ever walked the Earth. You really don't think LeBron James hasn't given the fans their money's worth? That's an odd stance to take on a guy that has dragged a few teams to the Finals (I'm not even a LeBron guy)

The guy has played the equivalent of close to 40 college basketball seasons, not counting his playoff games. He's been to 10 NBA Finals, etc., etc.

LeBron had arguably the greatest individual Finals performance ever in a losing effort on the Cavaliers, in a series they never had a shot at winning. 

• Like 1

For some reason, it’s a given that pro athletes play by different rules. Unfortunately, society has perpetuated that myth.

What are these guys without God given talents? Not for one second should they be afforded the leeway to act like they are above it all.

I have zero allegiance to any entertainers who believe they are bigger than the institution that has allowed them to become rich.

Really crazy world we live in these days 

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

LeBron had arguably the greatest individual Finals performance ever in a losing effort on the Cavaliers, in a series they never had a shot at winning. 

Also, LeBron has never really load managed. He had 10 day or something rest in his 2nd or 3rd year with Cleveland (the 2nd stint) but otherwise LeBron doesn't really load manage. 

Why don't people get mad when baseball players take games off? The travel in the NBA is way, way worse. The NBA is far more taxing on your body, etc., etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

For some reason, it’s a given that pro athletes play by different rules. Unfortunately, society has perpetuated that myth.

What are these guys without God given talents? Not for one second should they be afforded the leeway to act like they are above it all.

I have zero allegiance to any entertainers who believe they are bigger than the institution that has allowed them to become rich.

It's nothing new. The ultra-talented have always had more leverage and power, and again its not just athletes and entertainers, it applies to any profession that is a commodity (doctors, top CEO's, politicians, scientists, etc.)

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What is the commentary? That he should have stayed in the game and made it harder to win Game 6 instead of turning his attention to the next task?

Good leaders, in sports, business, or anything really, know when to cut their losses and move on to the next objective. You seem to be looking for an Andrew Luck mentality as opposed to Tom Brady.

No, being a leader and not quitting before the last horn blew.

Being there for players at the end of the bench who had to finish an unwinnable game.

You know, being a good teammate. 

This board tore apart kids on IU who supposedly were “not engaged.” Not supporting their teammates. For God’s sake, there were conversations, ad nauseum, about the body language, vocal support, attention in the time out huddles, of various players… and whether they were “bought into “ the team. Couldn’t a guy getting paid millions have at least stuck around to support the guys who work just as hard for much less money?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not going to talk about all pro athletes, but since this conversation is focused on LeBron, he would probably be just fine without his athletic talents. He is an incredibly hard working, intelligent, and talented person beyond just basketball. Would he be worth 9 figures? Probably not. But who is worth 9 figures without something out of the ordinary that they had no control over happening to them?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

No, being a leader and not quitting before the last horn blew.

Being there for players at the end of the bench who had to finish an unwinnable game.

You know, being a good teammate. 

This board tore apart kids on IU who supposedly were “not engaged.” Not supporting their teammates. For God’s sake, there were conversations, ad nauseum, about the body language, vocal support, attention in the time out huddles, of various players… and whether they were “bought into “ the team. Couldn’t a guy getting paid millions have at least stuck around to support the guys who work just as hard for much less money?

I think LeBron is one of the greatest teammates and leaders we've ever seen in sports. Should he have stayed? Probably. But the best thing he can do for his team is get ready to carry them in Game 6. 

I never bought into that stuff about IU players, don't buy into it about LeBron. 

You guys do realize that there is an NBA thread pinned to the top of the page right? I don't give two sh!tz about the NBA and don't want to keep clicking on the Portal thread just to find it here.

I like reading all the posters involved, but please just give us all a break from the LeBron slobberfest and put it where we can ignore it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Because of the max contracts, LeBron is actually severely underpaid compared to the value he brings to a team and to a city. Cleveland’s economy went way up when he was on the Cavs, and it went down when he left. I’m not a fan of all his dramatic antics, but he’s also at worst the 2nd best basketball player of all time and an incredibly hard worker.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think LeBron is one of the greatest teammates and leaders we've ever seen in sports. Should he have stayed? Probably. But the best thing he can do for his team is get ready to carry them in Game 6. 

I never bought into that stuff about IU players, don't buy into it about LeBron. 

Nah. A leader doesn’t leave the arena of battle, regardless the situation.

Just for giggles, do a Google search for players who played with serious injuries.

Guys like Jack Youngblood who played a playoff game with a broken leg. Willis Reed. Bret Favre. Kirk Gibson. Kerri Strug. Steve Yzerman

These are real teammates. Putting the team first. Not self absorbed. Certainly didn’t bail when things got tough 

7 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Nah. A leader doesn’t leave the arena of battle, regardless the situation.

Just for giggles, do a Google search for players who played with serious injuries.

Guys like Jack Youngblood who played a playoff game with a broken leg. Willis Reed. Bret Favre. Kirk Gibson. Kerri Strug. Steve Yzerman

These are real teammates. Putting the team first. Not self absorbed. Certainly didn’t bail when things got tough 

You don't think LeBron James isn't playing on a compromised ankle right now?

I'll take LeBron James' resume of performance, winning and leadership over all of those guys. 

He's the most successful team sport athlete on that list in terms of his numbers and winning, literally dragging teams to the Finals. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You don't think LeBron James isn't playing on a compromised ankle right now?

I'll take LeBron James' resume of performance, winning and leadership over all of those guys. 

He's the most successful team sport athlete on that list in terms of his numbers and winning, literally dragging teams to the Finals. 

I would take any of those athletes, for putting their team’s needs first, ahead of Lebron James.

Not sure what a compromised ankle is compared to a broken leg, or some of the other injuries these athletes worked through.