Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

anything interesting with the transfer portal?

Not much....kinda watching 3 guys in the portal/draft to see what they do as it effects the B1G.

Marcus Carr-Minn

Darryl Morsell-Maryland

Jacob Young-Rutgers

Prediction....Carr stays in the draft (G-league), Morsell returns to Maryland to work on his offense....and Young ends up somewhere else.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not much....kinda watching 3 guys in the portal/draft to see what they do as it effects the B1G.

Marcus Carr-Minn

Darryl Morsell-Maryland

Jacob Young-Rutgers

Prediction....Carr stays in the draft (G-league), Morsell returns to Maryland to work on his offense....and Young ends up somewhere else.

Young already transferred to Oregon...

And Morsell is not only in the draft, he's in the portal too...

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

Here is a quick summary of transfers by grade. 
Nothing too crazy there, but I’d be interested to see what it is like looking at transfers involving mid majors, majors, and different conferences. 

F150EF82-66B7-4055-BA25-C1B6B6BEBEE7.jpeg

Makes sense...as guys go along they figure out that they are losing minutes to younger guys or it isn't working out at the school and move along. 

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

Makes sense...as guys go along they figure out that they are losing minutes to younger guys or it isn't working out at the school and move along. 

the freshman number to me was a bit surprising. Goes to show that these recruits are being told anything and everything just to get them in the door on a leash. Only difference now, is they still are coming through the door, but the leash no longer exists with the free transfer. 

• Like 1

I'm a competitor at heart, so I agree with CMW about recruiting players with a similar outlook and makeup. The majority of the time I think this brings out the best in everyone (it is a competitive sport, after all), and the cream rises to the top.

I also have no issue with Coach Woodson's honesty about possibly recruiting "over" players on his roster; he should be able to fill out his team with the absolute best players available. That said, there is a flip side to that coin, and I'm ok with players wanting to transfer without limitations or restrictions.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 5:37 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

why do you say he only plays 7,8,9 guys?  i would think NBA guys would be thinking to play more guys and in a scripted sub pattern.  i hope you're right!

I wasnt thinking 82 games when i wrote that because if i watch the NBA at all its the playoffs when rotations get smaller and all the mins go to 8 or 9 guys. in a 30 game season i can see CMW using a playoff style rotation. I should have been more clear.

On 6/3/2021 at 10:31 AM, dgambill said:

Actually, the former redshirts account for almost all the variation from grade to grade.  I'm shocked how balanced it is if you don't consider them:  267, 289, 287, and 274 (freshman -> seniors). 

I would have expected less freshman and way less seniors to transfer.

Amongst the redshirts, it goes 77, 108, 174, and 169.  I would have expected a trend of increasing stability. Instead redshirted juniors and seniors were more than twice as likely to tranfer than a redshirted freshman. 

Edited by andy_puiu
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, andy_puiu said:

Actually, the former redshirts account for almost all the variation from grade to grade.  I'm shocked how balanced it is if you don't consider them:  267, 289, 287, and 274 (freshman -> seniors). 

I would have expected less freshman and way less seniors to transfer.

Amongst the redshirts, it goes 77, 108, 174, and 169.  I would have expected a trend of increasing stability. Instead redshirted juniors and seniors were more than twice as likely to tranfer than a redshirted freshman. 

Didn't take that into consideration. Perhaps redshirts were told just sit a year, work on your game, get stronger and then you will be ready to take on a bigger role. Then guess what happens...redshirt still isn't playing much at first so they leave...or still can't break into the starting lineup by junior or senior so they leave. I would say this. If a kid is asked to redshirt there is usually something very much missing in his game...or they get hurt and aren't the same. Redshirting may not truly fix the issue and it could just be we see a reach that never gets up to speed. Perhaps for redshirts it is they are more patient but as time goes along they realize they never really catch up. Or it seems redshirts are no longer being used as much on incoming freshman like in the past but for injuries on upper classman and then they transfer when they can't get their spot back. So many variables!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Didn't take that into consideration. Perhaps redshirts were told just sit a year, work on your game, get stronger and then you will be ready to take on a bigger role. Then guess what happens...redshirt still isn't playing much at first so they leave...or still can't break into the starting lineup by junior or senior so they leave. I would say this. If a kid is asked to redshirt there is usually something very much missing in his game...or they get hurt and aren't the same. Redshirting may not truly fix the issue and it could just be we see a reach that never gets up to speed. Perhaps for redshirts it is they are more patient but as time goes along they realize they never really catch up. Or it seems redshirts are no longer being used as much on incoming freshman like in the past but for injuries on upper classman and then they transfer when they can't get their spot back. So many variables!

I didn't even think about medical redshirts.  Your supposition makes a lot of sense.  Get injured, sit out a year, find out sooner or later that you can't get back into the starting lineup, so transfer.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, btownqb said:

Haven't been to the basketball board in a bit, saw the thread title.. all I've got to say about LBJ is F him. Flopping a**. 

Funny enough all the sportswriters and commentators are like so sad this will be the first finals in like forever that Lebron isn't playing in it and I'm like "HECK YEAH!". I'm really starting to like how the playoffs are shaping up. Suns if Paul stays healthy look fabulous...and fun to watch. (That said they got matched up to an LA team without AD and now Denver without Jamal Murray and a couple other key pieces).

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...