Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

I’ve posted consistently for years that I’ve liked Brooks and we’ve even speculated for over a year that IU could still be in his future.  I remember using the word “hostility” to describe his attitude on the court.  And I mean that as the biggest compliment.  That lineup TD just posted....they aren’t going to be scared of literally anybody.  And there is a ton of depth coming behind them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Ours would be pretty crowded, but this is a crowded frontcourt:

13 Walker Kessler F/C 7-1 245 Fr. Newnan, Ga. / Woodward Academy
11 Day'Ron Sharpe F/C 6-11 265 Fr. Greenville, N.C. / Monteverde Academy (Fla.)
21 Sterling Manley F/C 6-11 250 R-Jr. Pickerington, Ohio / Pickerington Central
22 Walker Miller F/C 6-11 235 Sr. Greensboro, N.C. / New Hampton Prep (N.H.)
5 Armando BacotHear how to pronounce Armando Bacot F/C 6-10 240 So. Richmond, Va. / IMG Academy (Fla.)
15 Garrison Brooks F 6-10 240 Sr. LaFayette, Ala.Hear how to pronounce LaFayette, Ala./ Auburn
1 Leaky BlackHear how to pronounce Leaky Black G/F 6-8 195 Jr. Concord, N.C.Hear how to pronounce Concord, N.C./ Cox Mill
14 Puff Johnson G 6-8 190 Fr. Moon Township, Pa. / Hillcrest Prep (Phoenix, Ariz.)

We need to start comparing ourselves to the UNC's of the world again.

Agreed....but that also is a reason they have Kessler in the portal and Brooks going to NBA. Not a bad problem...but it will be new for someone like Woody to deal with.

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I hope Stewart is at that level, but I’m remaining cautiously optimistic. Really enjoyed hearing TJD say that he is a baller and can shoot.  

Good to stay grounded.  But players know players.  It’s a variation of players play.  Lol.  Anyway, if a player is being honest publicly, they know.  

Along these lines, I’ve never bought into the notion that players will freak out if one of their teammates gets benched.  I don’t think we need to pussyfoot around benching a starter if the production isn’t there for a prolonged period.  I think Woody would agree with me.  

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I hope Stewart is at that level, but I’m remaining cautiously optimistic. Really enjoyed hearing TJD say that he is a baller and can shoot.  

yeah.  very easily could be Stewart, but to say no question when i've never seen him play at this level... not yet

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

yeah.  very easily could be Stewart, but to say no question when i've never seen him play at this level... not yet

He started 20 games as a FR at Pitt. 19 of those were conference games. He played 31mpg avged 11p 4r 1a and shot 43% from 3 on 6 attempts a game in conference play.

I can say without question he is starting at the 3.

Edited by btownqb

Just now, btownqb said:

He started 20 games as a FR at Pitt. 19 of those were conference games. He played 31mpg avged 11p 4r 1a and shot 43% from 3 on 6 attempts a game.

sounds good.  you must be right!  did you email Woodson yet?  Scott can probably get his address if you don't have it?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’ve posted consistently for years that I’ve liked Brooks and we’ve even speculated for over a year that IU could still be in his future.  I remember using the word “hostility” to describe his attitude on the court.  And I mean that as the biggest compliment.  That lineup TD just posted....they aren’t going to be scared of literally anybody.  And there is a ton of depth coming behind them. 

I really want Brooks too because he’s the stretch 4 we’ve needed.

I also really have to think the reason Race is staying is because CMW convinced him that he’ll be develop into more of a stretch four.

Having two is not crazy; think about the flexibility CMW will have with his lineups. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Would seem likely. He is 6'5 so he can guard 1-3 and possibly even small ball 4's. I think until Armaan actually comes back we should begin to work with the assumption he is gone though. 

That lineup could switch 1-4 easily.  And 1-5 within reason.  It is drifting into somewhat positionless basketball.  And Woody would have a team in the image of what he’s been saying.  That should help future recruiting because recruits will see the actual product of his vision and not one of those “as soon as I get my guys, we will do X...”.  I’m glad that’s over.  The fan base has been too accepting of building towards something.  It is a waste of everybody’s time. Now it’s all about  “let’s put together a team that can win now.”

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Watching his performance at Pitt...he can handle it. I personally saw him playing in the OVC against Murray. He is very talented....now he has some concerns...because he played for his father and had free reign on a very undisciplined team. A lot of poor percentage shots and not much to work with so he will definitely have to reign it in but it was evident he didn't belong at that level when I watched him. It will just come down to if he wants to play team basketball....and I have no doubt Woody will take care of that.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I like the term "hostility" as well in this sense. Give me a team that is hard nosed and has a little attitude and likes the challenge of going into a hostile Big Ten gym and shutting up the fans. On the flip side, I miss the days of Assembly Hall being a place nobody wanted to come to and the opponents could pencil it in as a "L" for their teams before the season began. I believe this team with that attitude could have that Dikembe Mutombo (sorry, been seeing that GEICO commercial during tourney!) "No no no, Not in my house!" junkyard dog vibe.

Edited by FritzIam4IU
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

He started 20 games as a FR at Pitt. 19 of those were conference games. He played 31mpg avged 11p 4r 1a and shot 43% from 3 on 6 attempts a game in conference play.

Your post made me realize for the first time that both Xavier and Parker played for Pitt. Doesn't look like they played together but I'm sure they know of each other. Any body know anything about their relationship?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ledies22 said:

He’s also the one that suggested Thompson starting at the 3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I honestly don't see another 3 on our team besides Stewart? It isn't Hunter, not gonna be Brooks if he transfers.... Galloway? Leal? I guess they're more proven at this level then someone that has hit on average 2.5 3s a game for his career.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I honestly don't see another 3 on our team besides Stewart? It isn't Hunter, not gonna be Brooks if he transfers.... Galloway? Leal? I guess they're more proven at this level then someone that has hit on average 2.5 3s a game for his career.

Maybe Justin Smith will transfer back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Slow IU news day. Let's all go back to b!tching at each other!!!

Slow news day this week = we only get one major announcement before noon? Haha.

Edit/add: I’ve been more entertained by IUBB in the last week than I have in the entire month of February!

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Your post made me realize for the first time that both Xavier and Parker played for Pitt. Doesn't look like they played together but I'm sure they know of each other. Any body know anything about their relationship?

They have to a minimum be acquainted.