Transfer Portal......and LeBron James and other off season tangents.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know why Joey left IU, and I especially don't know why he would pick Ohio State...I mean, I'm sure he thought his playing time would be cut at IU, but it's not like OSU was starved for post players...

I know Liddell is going to test the NBA waters, but that still leaves Zed Key, Ibrahima Diallo, and Kyle Young as essentially post players. Kinda a crowded front court to transfer into...

I think we'll find out all the answers (as others have suggested) if he enrolls in law school. Plus CH and him have long term relationship dating back to Butler days. Could just be the biggest school within 3 hours of home that will let him go to law school....if that plays out. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I think we'll find out all the answers (as others have suggested) if he enrolls in law school. Plus CH and him have long term relationship dating back to Butler days. Could just be the biggest school within 3 hours of home that will let him go to law school....if that plays out. 

I doubt very much that he will be going to law school. The ABA has rules about attendance and I don't see how you could possibly go to road games and make it to class. It's conceivable that covid has changed the rules and/or they have remote classes that qualify and he could attend on the road, but under normal circumstances, it wouldn't be allowed.

If it is allowed, I do think it's possible to do - if you add up the time I spent playing basketball and drinking beer my first year of law school, it would allow for enough hours to be a varsity basketball player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know why Joey left IU, and I especially don't know why he would pick Ohio State...I mean, I'm sure he thought his playing time would be cut at IU, but it's not like OSU was starved for post players...

I know Liddell is going to test the NBA waters, but that still leaves Zed Key, Ibrahima Diallo, and Kyle Young as essentially post players. Kinda a crowded front court to transfer into...

I don't think we are going to be feeding the post for anyone not named TJD very often next year, short of a mismatch on a switch. The days of archaic, inefficient basketball in Bloomington are gone. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't think we are going to be feeding the post for anyone not named TJD very often next year, short of a mismatch on a switch. The days of archaic, inefficient basketball in Bloomington are gone. 

Depth is never a bad thing. I simply illustrated the school Joey transferred to has plenty of front court, and particularly post players.

If the reason Joey moved on was because IU's law school wouldn't let him play, and OSU's would, that's a shame...

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

You won in March? Nooooope. Do I think Painter is good? Yup. 

Edey is solid.. Purdue bigs in general are solid when you allow them to do what they're comfortable at.. 

Every slow big struggles guarding space. Every single one.

Not sure what you can overly disagree with?   

Probably the main thing is the “Purdue has basically never hurt us on the offensive end” comment. Sure there have been some low-scoring ugly games lately but plenty of times Purdue has been solid offensively in those games. Also, that Purdue’s model isn’t meant to win in March I disagree with too. First round upsets happen all the time especially this year. 

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Probably the main thing is the “Purdue has basically never hurt us on the offensive end” comment. Sure there have been some low-scoring ugly games lately but plenty of times Purdue has been solid offensively in those games. Also, that Purdue’s model isn’t meant to win in March I disagree with too. First round upsets happen all the time especially this year. 

First round upsets happen, but if you look at the DNA of teams that often lose before their seeding says they should, it's because they lack quickness and can't guard in space.  They're susceptible to teams who open the floor, drive, and have a shooter or two get hot.  And it's bound to happen in the tournament, if not in the first round then by the second or third.  Purdue is a solid program that would probably have a lot more post-season success if each game in the bracket was a best of 3, but there is a reason Purdue hasn't been to a Final Four in 42 years. 

Edited by IUJoe
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

First round upsets happen, but if you look at the DNA of teams that often lose before their seeding says they should, it's because they lack quickness and can't guard in space.  They're susceptible to teams who open the floor, drive, and have a shooter or two get hot.  And it's bound to happen in the tournament, if not in the first round then by the second or third.  Purdue is a solid program that would probably have a lot more post-season success if each game in the bracket was a best of 3, but there is a reason Purdue hasn't been to a Final Four in 42 years. 

I think you make some good points for sure. The Purdue team this year certainly didn’t have the quickness/ability to guard in space like past Purdue teams have had. Didn’t have a lockdown defender like Eastern either. I think that’s certainly a factor in the FF drought but luck and injuries have to get lumped in there too. That UVA shot was a one in a 100 type play. Unfortunately (at least during Painter’s tenure), the majority of his teams that had the potential to make deep tourney runs (Hummel twice and Haas) were derailed because of injury. I realize injuries happen to everyone but just stating what has happened over the past 10+ years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You're upset all the time early. Do you agree that Indiana struggles offensively much, much more than they struggle defensively? 

I can't remember any time where IU gave up some astronomical amount to Purdue. Look man I have respect for Purdue and Matt Painter, I really do. 

But call a spade a spade.. you all have been awful in March. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Depth is never a bad thing. I simply illustrated the school Joey transferred to has plenty of front court, and particularly post players.

If the reason Joey moved on was because IU's law school wouldn't let him play, and OSU's would, that's a shame...

Do we even know if that's true?

I agree, depth is never a bad thing, I just don't think Joey liked his role for this coming year more than anything. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Do we even know if that's true?

I agree, depth is never a bad thing, I just don't think Joey liked his role for this coming year more than anything. 

Hence the "if" at the beginning of my second sentence. I don't know, but it's been speculated. I'd imagine we'll find out down the road...

And, like I said, he's going into a deep front court, so he'll be fighting for playing time at OSU too...

I think you make some good points for sure. The Purdue team this year certainly didn’t have the quickness/ability to guard in space like past Purdue teams have had. Didn’t have a lockdown defender like Eastern either. I think that’s certainly a factor in the FF drought but luck and injuries have to get lumped in there too. That UVA shot was a one in a 100 type play. Unfortunately (at least during Painter’s tenure), the majority of his teams that had the potential to make deep tourney runs (Hummel twice and Haas) were derailed because of injury. I realize injuries happen to everyone but just stating what has happened over the past 10+ years. 

Did Eastern make it to the NBA?

Purdue is a fine school with a touch of history, if they weren’t instate rivals I believe just about any real Indiana youngster could get behind them. They defend well ( sound familiar ) and well, that’s it, they play good D. Keady was very similar to Coach Knight without the wit and ass kicking record when it counts. Yea, Purdue is ok, so is round steak, I’d prefer a New York strip. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

You're upset all the time early. Do you agree that Indiana struggles offensively much, much more than they struggle defensively? 

I can't remember any time where IU gave up some astronomical amount to Purdue. Look man I have respect for Purdue and Matt Painter, I really do. 

But call a spade a spade.. you all have been awful in March. 

Upset all the time early? I counted 3 times in the 12 appearances Painter has had.   First upset since UALR back in ‘14/‘15. The bigger issue is we usually don’t win games against better seeds and play to our ranking. The early round upsets are the exception not a common occurrence. 

I do agree IU’s offense has been their biggest issue. 

Edited by Stlboiler23

Obviously upsets to 14 seeds aren’t a regular thing, that’s why they’re upsets, can we just agree Painter is a solid coach, probably wishes he wears Red, and he may get you guys a final 4, should be solid - your recruiting has picked up. But you couldn’t get there with the Big Dog so I’m not too worried .

2 minutes ago, H00sier said:

Obviously upsets to 14 seeds aren’t a regular thing, that’s why they’re upsets, can we just agree Painter is a solid coach, probably wishes he wears Red, and he may get you guys a final 4, should be solid - your recruiting has picked up. But you couldn’t get there with the Big Dog so I’m not too worried .

Stupid injury to Big Dog wrestling in the hotel room lol. Such a Purdue thing to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Stupid injury to Big Dog wrestling in the hotel room lol. Such a Purdue thing to happen. 

Just giving you a hard time, honestly Purdue is a program to be proud of. Just not as proud as being an IU alum or fan. Big fan of Keady, 

• Like 3

That is true, but it also took Edwards scoring the most ppg in the tournament since 1990 and a new record for made threes to get there. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, H00sier said:

Like you said Purdue and Painter are a solid program, but as an IU fan I want more then just solid. I want IU to be number one seeds and occasionally have a chance to win it all. I've never once considered Purdue under Painter a favorite to win it all. Going into the tournament a couple of times  i've thought they could make a decent little run but that's it.

Edited by Hoosier51

43 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

That is true, but it also took Edwards scoring the most ppg in the tournament since 1990 and a new record for made threes to get there. 

True. But I’d argue that was maybe Painter’s 5th best team he’s had at Purdue and they happened to go the furthest. No offense to Grady Eifert but that’s not the guy I’d expect to start at the 4 on an Elite 8 team lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Like you said Purdue and Painter are a solid program, but as an IU fan I want more then just solid. I want IU to be number one seeds and occasionally have a chance to win it all. I've never once considered Purdue under Painter a favorite to win it all. Going into the tournament a couple of times  i've thought they could make a decent little run but that's it.

That team with Hummel wasn’t one of the favorites to win it all? They were poised to be ranked #1 before he got hurt at Minnesota. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That team with Hummel wasn’t one of the favorites to win it all? They were poised to be ranked #1 before he got hurt at Minnesota. 

That would be the only one I would even consider thinking they had an outside chance of winning it all.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Hence the "if" at the beginning of my second sentence. I don't know, but it's been speculated. I'd imagine we'll find out down the road...

And, like I said, he's going into a deep front court, so he'll be fighting for playing time at OSU too...

This isn't about depth and competing, it's about us playing a style that he doesn't fit. 

Joey isn't a plus at a single thing we will be asking our bigs to do. 

• Like 1